What's new

India hopes to stall Saudi Arabia labour law

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
NEW DELHI: The gold rush for Indian workers threatens to come to an end with Saudi Arabia bringing in a new labour law that requires companies to hire one Saudi national for every 10 expatriate workers. The Nitaqat programme that came into force recently will hit an estimated 1.5 million Indians working in the West Asian nation the hardest. Faced by the prospect of lakhs of unemployed workers returning to India, the Centre has decided to send a ministerial delegation headed by overseas Indian affairs minister Vayalar Ravi to hold talks with the Saudi government.

The bulk of the workers come from Kerala and Andhra Pradesh and the state governments are under immense pressure. Indians in Saudi Arabia have been remitting around $3.5 billion annually. This is the largest amount of inward flow of foreign exchange from any single country. Around 1.5 million Indians are working in Saudi Arabia, of whom around 85% are in the blue-collar category.

Sources in the MOIA said that efforts will be made by India to get Saudi Arabia to stagger the implementation of the programme. "We hope to convince the Saudi authorities to give some time for the workers who are being laid off under the new law to find employment in a neighbouring country or at least make arrangements for their return,'' a source said.

After the Arab Spring, which resulted in the overthrowing of regimes in Egypt and other countries in West Asia and North Africa, the Saudi monarchy is making a renewed push to reduce unemployment. A study — conducted by the Saudi Central Department of Statistics and Information — fixed the unemployment rate in the country last year at 12.2%. That meant that more than 588,000 people were without jobs. The Nitaqat system is a process designed to boost employment of locals. The deadline for implementing the system ended on March 27.

FICCI secretary general A Didar Singh said that since the interest of Indians working in Saudi and their dependents would be impacted the matter required immediate attention.

"As reported, currently, there are 3, 40,000 firms, which do not have any Saudi employee. If we take an average of 2 to 3 Saudi nationals to be employed by each firm following the Nitaqat Law, this may have the possibility of displacing some half to one million expatriates, if more jobs are not simultaneously created. A large numbers of Indian workers are employed in Saudi Arabia and according to data of 2011, this includes around 570,000 Keralites who account for a total remittance of Rs 55,000 crore. This shows the important role the NRI community plays in the state and the possible impact this change in law could have,'' Singh said.

Kerala CM Oommen Chandy has announced that a rehabilitation package will be introduced but that has done little to bring down the panic within the worker community. There are fears that the system could also impact small-scale investments.

India hopes to stall Saudi Arabia labour law - The Times of India

What Indians they're talking about.
?

Indians don't go to middle east anymore. Thats what I learned from the informed Indians on the forum.

Indians are screwed, the KSA royals will have to push this law through because their worst nightmare is unemployed Saudis taking to the streets to protest.

Indians are screwed, the KSA royals will have to push this law through because their worst nightmare is unemployed Saudis taking to the streets to protest.

This programme will 'screw' Pakistanis as well :P

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2013\04\03\story_3-4-2013_pg5_1

Nitaqat Programme

Country may lose remittances as KSA to deport labourers

By Abrar Hamza

KARACHI: Pakistan can get a huge blow to its remittances in the near future as approximately 500,000 Pakistanis working in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) are to be deported as per new laws over there. It was learnt that Saudi Arabian government started deporting thousands of labourers of different countries under the Nitaqat Programme. “They have implemented this last month, according to which foreigners are required to work only for their sponsors,” Mansur Ahmed, a Pakistani living there, told Daily Times on Tuesday.

He further said that Saudi Foreign Ministry has changed one law regarding expatriates by which ‘we have lost our legal position as we were working here on valid work permits before implementation of this law, so this sudden change has made us illegal here’.

Ahmed said that this law would affect more than 300,000 Pakistanis who entered Saudi Arabia on work visas but don’t work for their sponsors they are originally registered with. Ahmed, who has been living in Dammam for last five years, said that this sudden change in the laws has put Pakistanis there in deep agony. ‘Me and my country fellows are worried for our future because we have come here after burning all our boats’, he added.

At least India is doing something about it. What is Pakistan doing ?

Pakistanis will not be spared either.

Even Syeds will be kicked out. ;)

Pakistanis will not be spared either.

Even Syeds will be kicked out. ;)

I never said they wouldn't but Indians have to most workers supposedly so they will be most effected. What the hell does it matter Syed or not syed you clown? Anyway this will only effect those working jobs Saudis probably don't want anyway.

This programme will 'screw' Pakistanis as well :P

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2013\04\03\story_3-4-2013_pg5_1

Nitaqat Programme

Country may lose remittances as KSA to deport labourers

By Abrar Hamza

KARACHI: Pakistan can get a huge blow to its remittances in the near future as approximately 500,000 Pakistanis working in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) are to be deported as per new laws over there. It was learnt that Saudi Arabian government started deporting thousands of labourers of different countries under the Nitaqat Programme. “They have implemented this last month, according to which foreigners are required to work only for their sponsors,” Mansur Ahmed, a Pakistani living there, told Daily Times on Tuesday.

He further said that Saudi Foreign Ministry has changed one law regarding expatriates by which ‘we have lost our legal position as we were working here on valid work permits before implementation of this law, so this sudden change has made us illegal here’.

Ahmed said that this law would affect more than 300,000 Pakistanis who entered Saudi Arabia on work visas but don’t work for their sponsors they are originally registered with. Ahmed, who has been living in Dammam for last five years, said that this sudden change in the laws has put Pakistanis there in deep agony. ‘Me and my country fellows are worried for our future because we have come here after burning all our boats’, he added.

At least India is doing something about it. What is Pakistan doing ?

I am sure it will, but the topic was on Indian workers or no?

I never said they wouldn't but Indians have to most workers supposedly so they will be most effected. What the hell does it matter Syed or not syed you clown? Anyway this will only effect those working jobs Saudis probably don't want anyway.

I am sure it will, but the topic was on Indian workers or no?

My clown friend, it means there is no reason for you be so happy.

Anyway, in a few decades, these Saudis will be the ones coming to beg for work all over the world. They will be back to riding camels within a generation once the oil runs out (or even before).

My clown friend, it means there is no reason for you be so happy.

Anyway, in a few decades, these Saudis will be the ones coming to beg for work all over the world. They will be back to riding camels within a generation once the oil runs out (or even before).

My dear clown friend I do not find joy in others miseries, I was merely pointing out that since the Saudis have nightmares about being overthrown they will not relent on this new law. Idk about that, if they do not diversify their economies then yeah.

We have huge requirements for labour in Infrastructure and Manufacturing sectors, India can absorb the returned labour from middle east.

But what about Pakistanis and Bangladeshis?

The money Pakistan is getting from SA will also decrease.

Back
Top Bottom