SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
India has chosen engines for fighter FGFA

picture.jpg

23/09/2011

The Air Force has selected engines for India's promising fighter FGFA, produced jointly with the Russian design bureau "Dry" based on the T-50 (PAK FA) . What kind of power plants is in question did not specify. We know only that the selected engines will be more powerful than the AL-41F1 ("Item 117"), which will be installed on the Russian T-50 in the first stage.

Presumably, we are talking about engines, known as "product 117C." These power plants will be mass-produced Su-35s, 48 ​​of which the Russian Defense Ministry must receive until 2015. FGFA new power plants will be supplied by the Indian Air Force, as expected, with 2017-2018 year. Previously, the Defense Ministry of India announced that it intends to acquire up to 250 new combat aircraft.

Once the needs of the Indian Air Force in FGFA will be met, will begin delivery of the fighter in the world market. In August 2011 the President of the United Aircraft Corporation Mikhail Pogosyan said that the need for the world market for fighters such as T-50, including Russia, is estimated at 600 units - except for the Russian Air Force and India will export about 200 aircraft.

The contract for the joint development FGFA was signed by Russia and India in late 2010. The Indian version of the aircraft will be created based on the PAK FA, but it will be different from the last two-seater cockpit, engines and airborne equipment. Earlier it was reported that the first flight is scheduled for FGFA 2015. According to the Korean media, FGFA (according to other T-50) is a member of the Air Force tender for the supply of South Korea's combat aircraft.

Lenta.ru:

i hope this engine is a supercruise engine

I have some doubt... I think Russia was developing an Engine for its Su35. I think it was 117S if I am not wrong. Also it was developing another Engine exclusively for T50 which was more powerful than 117S and the export version of T50 was going to be equipped with the former one.

Which engine is going to be part of our FGFA ?

Isn't this heading wrong ? I mean we haven't selected the engine yet but yeah we have also taken the same decision of having a differnt engine than the one in Pakfa right now. Point to be noted is that right now also Pakfa is powered by the new engine but after MAKS 2011 Russian Air force said they want a new and better engine and we have now also decided to follow them (althogh its a wise decision).

i hope this engine is a supercruise engine
According to Sukhoi director Mikhail Pogosyan, the 117 (AL-41F1) is the new fifth generation engine built specifically for the PAK-FA. Though the specifics of the new engine remain classified, information known so far:

> Increased engine thrust by 2.5 tonnes over the AL-31 engine.
> A reduction in engine weight by 150 kilograms (330 lb).

These changes allow the aircraft to supercruise, sustaining supersonic flight speeds without using afterburners. And that is vital for a stealth aircraft.

found this regarding 117c
New 'Saturn' gas-turbine corporation chief Iliya Fyodorov says 117C engine, which is installed on the last 'Sukhoi's serial Su-35, is able to achieve supersonic speed without use of afterburner. It was published yesterday in its interview to local 'RyniskOnline' site, and reproduced by other Russian internet-sites too.

"
As about Al-55 engine contract with India, which is assumed licension production and technology transfer, he said it's executed well. Some tech problems are still remained however, but in no doubts they will be solved. Now they work on engine's lifetime expectance improving."

Defunct Humanity: New 'Saturn's chief says 117C engine has supercruise capability

ohk great news :chreers: but concern of engines is with AMCA/LCA we know FGFA came from PAK -FA and russin will be provideing engines not a sooooo big news.

@sancho r we involved in this new engine development by any means???:what:

Last edited by a moderator:
@sancho r we involved in this new engine development by any means???:what:

There were some reports that they offered us a co-development and I tried to get some confirmations from the Indian side too, but couldn't find anything yet.

Btw guys, this thread is from 2011. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom