What's new

India goes shopping for a new assault rifle

^^^
angelina jolie of the gun world
Well said...Like Beretta also but they have less experience. ARX-160 is very cool weapon but very few countries uses it and thats why we cannot determine if there are any problems with it. The problems with rifles are that, sometimes we can determine the problem after along use.

Army in the market for new assault rifles - The Times of India

The Army now wants a complete overhaul of its basic weaponry for soldiers. The ball has been set rolling for the acquisition of advanced 5.56mm assault rifles in huge numbers to replace the existing indigenous 5.56mm INSAS (Indian small arms system) rifles, which has suffered from glitches since its induction in 1997-1998.

Defence ministry sources said a global tender has been issued to over 40 armament firms to submit their bids for the new 5.56mm assault rifles, which can be equipped with night-vision devices, laser designators, detachable under-barrel grenade launchers and the like.

The initial order is likely to be for direct purchase of around 66,000 rifles, followed by largescale licensed manufacture by the Ordnance Factory Board to equip the 13-lakh strong armed forces as well as the 8-lakh central paramilitary forces. The mega project could be well worth over Rs 20,000 crore once its exact contours are firmed up.

The Army is already inducting, or plans to induct, a wide array of small arms, ranging from "close-quarter battle'' (CQB) carbines and light-weight assault rifles to anti-material "bunker-bursting'' rifles and specialized sniper rifles.

The new 3.5-kg assault rifles to be acquired are in line with the Army's long-delayed F-INSAS (future infantry soldier as a system) project, which is geared towards enhancing the "lethality and survivability'' of foot soldiers.

The aim behind F-INSAS is to transform soldiers into self-contained, fully-networked, mobile killing machines, with a high degree of 'situational awareness' and capable of operating in all-terrain and all-weather conditions.

Under it, infantry soldiers are to be progressively equipped with light-weight integrated ballistic helmets with 'heads-up display' and miniaturized communication systems; portable visual, chemical and biological sensors; hand-held computer displays, GPS and video links; and lethal firepower with laser-guided modular weapon systems

Army officers say INSAS rifles, which have an effective 400-metre range, are slowly but surely becoming obsolete. It had become the standard basic weapon for the 324 infantry battalions (each with over 800 soldiers) in the Army from the late 1990s onwards after the earlier cumbersome 7.62mm self-loading rifles were phased out.

INSAS rifles had several "teething problems'' in the initial phases, with complaints of "cold arrest'' and cracking of the bullet magazines, especially in high-altitude areas like Kargil and Siachen. This, in fact, had forced the Army to import one lakh AK-47 rifles in 1995 for counter-insurgency and other operations.

Though many of the defects in the INSAS rifles were later rectified, the Army still continues to use the "fail-safe'' and rugged AK-47s more for close-quarter fighting with militants in Jammu and Kashmir.

^^^
Its used by only a few countries and we won't get an unbiased user experience. Although IA will do proper testes before inducting any rifle but the thing is there are some major flaws which sometimes gets visible after sometime and by that time it will be too late. By the way recent huge purchase of 34,500 carbines from Beretta by Home Ministry will definitely gives them an advantage but the same advantage is enjoyed by IMI for its tar 21. Nobody can ignore Heckler & Koch as they are one of the biggest names in this business. I think one of these three will win.

I am just SO confused about IA assault rifle/CQB procurement. I mean is this tender intended to replace ALL INSAS rifles in IA service? As it appears the number is too small as IA has ~1,000,000 INSAS in service as of now. Also if this tender is for the full replacement of ALL INSAS in IA as the future rifle of IA then what about F-INSAS rifle? As we have seen plans of this rifle that is supposed to be under development with Israeli help. If this tender goes through surely shoots puts the F-INSAS rifle dead in the water as per request these rifles are intended to last for at least 20 years and replacing the assault rifle of an army as huge as IA twice in 5-10 years is a massive undertaking which just would not be plausible nor sensible. Also how would this foreign rifle be integrated into the overall F-INSAS program (ie sights, cameras etc).

And what about the separate tender for CQB weapons? As I believe the number is for 44,000+ weapons. If this was for SOFs it makes no sense as the numbers seem too much for just SOFs and also most Indian SOFs have/are getting TAR-21s. Who are these separate CQBs for?

I am just SO confused about IA assault rifle/CQB procurement. I mean is this tender intended to replace ALL INSAS rifles in IA service? As it appears the number is too small as IA has ~1,000,000 INSAS in service as of now. Also if this tender is for the full replacement of ALL INSAS in IA as the future rifle of IA then what about F-INSAS rifle? As we have seen plans of this rifle that is supposed to be under development with Israeli help. If this tender goes through surely shoots puts the F-INSAS rifle dead in the water as per request these rifles are intended to last for at least 20 years and replacing the assault rifle of an army as huge as IA twice in 5-10 years is a massive undertaking which just would not be plausible nor sensible. Also how would this foreign rifle be integrated into the overall F-INSAS program (ie sights, cameras etc).

And what about the separate tender for CQB weapons? As I believe the number is for 44,000+ weapons. If this was for SOFs it makes no sense as the numbers seem too much for just SOFs and also most Indian SOFs have/are getting TAR-21s. Who are these separate CQBs for?
INSAS is not good for CBQ and COIN and urban warfare as kargil findings says new rifles will mainly go to the troops deployed in mountainous borders of kashmiir and Tibet. INSAS will remain with troops deployed in plains.

I am just SO confused about IA assault rifle/CQB procurement. I mean is this tender intended to replace ALL INSAS rifles in IA service?
66,000 rifles will be purchased and rest will be produced under license in India. You didn't read the first article ? Read the line from that article below :

The RfP also mandates a transfer of technology to the State-owned Ordnance Factory Board to locally make the ARs of which the eventual requirement is expected to be around 2 million for the army, the central paramilitary forces and state police in a massive programme estimated at $2-3 billion.
They will not only meet the requirement of armed forces but also the paramilitary forces.

Apart from the above tender of assault rifle there is one more tender for close quarter carbines according to which 44,618 will be purchased and later 420,000 will be build under license. Its written in the same article. Read the first article of this thread.

Also if this tender is for the full replacement of ALL INSAS in IA as the future rifle of IA then what about F-INSAS rifle?
Apart from reading about this rifle in wiki and a couple videos and pics, i never heard anything else about it. Its even possible that the project got cancelled or put on back-burner which IA cannot afford.

Also how would this foreign rifle be integrated into the overall F-INSAS program (ie sights, cameras etc).
What are you talking about ? The system should be flexible enough so that any rifle can be integrated into this. Its not a big deal and if drdo faces any trouble they can always go to israeli's and french.

^^^
MOney is not the matter here, but if you are asking :
If Heckler & Koch are offering HK416 it might be the cheapest and a pretty decent gun. Otherwise TAR 21 is also pretty decent and fit in our budget plus good relation with israel and already in service this gun is our answer. Fans of Baretta should not feel bad ARX-160 also cost around same as tar 21.
These are some of the best guns, f2000 fans should know it might pass the tests as its no match to the above guns, its just very easy to use and has some more of its advantages but like i said those advantages are like luxury, not necessary but if there its good.
My favorite is SCAR H, which is most expensive than the above listed guns. The closest to SCAR H is f2000.

I think TAR21 will win but i hope if ARX-160 or SCAR-H are better when tested then we go for them.

^^^
MOney is not the matter here, but if you are asking :
If Heckler & Koch are offering HK416 it might be the cheapest and a pretty decent gun. Otherwise TAR 21 is also pretty decent and fit in our budget plus good relation with israel and already in service this gun is our answer. Fans of Baretta should not feel bad ARX-160 also cost around same as tar 21.
These are some of the best guns, f2000 fans should know it might pass the tests as its no match to the above guns, its just very easy to use and has some more of its advantages but like i said those advantages are like luxury, not necessary but if there its good.
My favorite is SCAR H, which is most expensive than the above listed guns. The closest to SCAR H is f2000.

I think TAR21 will win but i hope if ARX-160 or SCAR-H are better when tested then we go for them.

F2000 is absolutely a nightmare to use in kashmir,north-east ,both the f2000 and the P90 SMG are good for support and close protection hence we see the SPG using them.

The P90 SMG's 5.7 mm round and the Mp7 round do not fare well in the terminal ballistics department.Since it is rifles we are taking about here f2000 isnt good for CI ops because of its design,secondly the F2000 has only one little flip to access the cahmber,good luck dealing with malfunctions.Its full auto is toooo fassstttt.... with the last 10 shots firing well above target.So the F2000 is good as a Close protection weapon when using an overt security method i.e SPG,same goes for the P90 and it can also be used by heli pilots as support weapon.

In bullpup tavor beats all its competitors in its sleep -amazing design,firing mechanism,built in MARS sight changeable to EOTech/Trijcon.very good support for UBGL which isnt good in bullpups like F2000

1289119208.jpg

I wish Pakistan could get this, but if not India should.

I've been a fan ever since I fired one at a shooting range. :enjoy:

Heckler & koch has served Pakistan well for a long time. Their weapons are in a class of their own.

Czech rifles are without a doubt reliable they're AK's have served troops in J&K well my two choices are the ARX-160 and the Czech CZ-805 btw here is a picture of it try not to drool

images

i like both ARX and CZ-805 because they can both fire 6.8mm IA has even stated that they are looking for a multi-caliber rifle that can support 5.56 7.62 6.8 and grendel rounds. however i believe that 6.8mm would be the primary caliber and the best choice because US commandos who used 6.8mm gave very positive feedback on it compared to 5.56 it is better without a doubt.

Back
Top Bottom