What's new

India flexes its muscles, sends Super Hercules aircraft to Ladakh

AN 32 is much smaller aircraft ...no big deal if it can . And again ALCI ( Antarctica Longistics Centre International ) Russian company uses both IL 76 and AN 32 type aircraft even today in Antarctica . IL 76 for heavy transport from Cape town ( South Africa ) to Novolazarevskaya-Maitri airfield (Antarctica ) distance approx. 6000 km ) . AN 32 ( light transport ) is used to connect other bases in Antarctica from main airfield as connecting flight with maximum distance of 800 km . Halley ( UK ) research base is approx. 800 km from this air field ...that's why I know .

I have no doubt about IL 76 capability ....because it is used to paraddrop fuel tanks to Vostok station ( Pole of Cold ) . Altitude , air pressures and blizzards all are worse in Antarctica than anywhere else on earth !!!

who knows whats the reason?? May be because DBO has not big runway enough to operate IL-76?? Hope someone can clarify here. (IL-76 need 1700 m to takeoff while C-130J need 900m)

the main reason was about its payload and it ability to takeoff and land in short and anykind of runway.

IL 76 that IAF uses is old version- its payload capacity is around 40-48 tons but it can also takeoff and land in short and any kind of runway. I am not sure whether IL 76 was deployed at DBO or not...and if not what was the reason ( I think it has capability to do so ...But then IAF will not dither to use it to its full capacity if it .

I hope if somebody from IAF can throw light ...

Anyway ...in either case not worth to waste our time and break our head ...I stop here !!!

who knows whats the reason?? May be because DBO has not big runway enough to operate IL-76?? Hope someone can clarify here. (IL-76 need 1700 m to takeoff while C-130J need 900m)

I think that's likely reason ... C 130J takeoff run with maximum reffort procedures is 549 otherwise 1000 meter, takeoff run to 15 m is 1400 meter.

c-130j-dbo-660x500_082013075749.jpg

super_hercules.jpg

what was the payload of the hercules?

exactly what was running in my head! I don't think they simply flew an empty flight there. What did it carry?

Also, it carries a bit more significance that this landing has happened not too many days after the Chinese incursion. While it is true that India landing an aircraft on its own soil is not a "big" deal. In this context, it is. Because India was seen as the party that shied away from any show of strength after the Chinese incursion and China was "upset" (words used by media) about the growing capabilities on the borders.

exactly what was running in my head! I don't think they simply flew an empty flight there. What did it carry?

Also, it carries a bit more significance that this landing has happened not too many days after the Chinese incursion. While it is true that India landing an aircraft on its own soil is not a "big" deal. In this context, it is. Because India was seen as the party that shied away from any show of strength after the Chinese incursion and China was "upset" (words used by media) about the growing capabilities on the borders.
Howitzers ,artillery pices , IFVs or soldiers maybe!

10 reasons why IAF's C-130J Super Hercules landing in Daulat Beg Oldie, Ladakh is important

1. The IAF beats its own world record for high altitude operations.

2. At 16,614 feet, it is the highest ever landing by a C-130 nearly 50 years since the first variant of the aircraft first took off. A global aviation record for one of the world's most time-tested machines.

3. Gives the IAF a six-fold increase in deployment capabilities, over the An-32 and Mi-17s so far deployed to DBO. This means fewer flights to deliver larger numbers of troops, materials, weapons.

4. With China publicly admonishing the idea of India activating advance landing grounds in Ladakh, India's push to accelerate operations in these remote airfields sends out a no-nonsense message that internal operations cannot be interfered with.

5. With the C-130J now able to operate from DBO, the IAF can begin modernising the DBO airfield further, for larger aircraft like the C-17 Globemaster III.

6. Access by the C-130J gives the IAF rapid tactical access to the remotest part of the country. The aircraft is capable of rushing special forces commandos to the theatre if necessary.

7. Proves to the neighbours that India won't shy away from specific infrastructure build-up even in sensitive border areas, and will continue to bolster airfield infrastructure.

8. Proves once again the excellent training and confidence prevalent in IAF crews, who are the newest in the world to operate the C-130 type.

9. Validates the IAF's case for more such aircraft -- already in the pipeline -- and a strong focus on medium transport aircraft capable of rapid turnaround and lightning-fast deployments.

10. With the Director General Air-Ops, Air Marshal S.B. Deo too flying in the C-130J on its flight to DBO, a clear sense that the MoD has given the IAF leave to modernise its border infrastructure without interference.

Read more at: 10 reasons why IAF's C-130J Super Hercules landing in Daulat Beg Oldie, Ladakh is important : India, News - India Today

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom