What's new

India face shame in opening ceremony of Sochi Games

Dem!god

Reaction score
Country
India
Shiva-Keshavan.jpg

India's Shiva Keshavan prepares for the start during the men's luge training at the Sanki sliding center in Rosa Khutor, a venue for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. (Reuters Photo)

SOCHI (Russia): India will face the ignominy of witnessing three of its athletes march without the national flag during the opening ceremony of the Sochi Winter Olympics on Friday night.

With the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) suspended by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) due to ethical and administrative reasons, luger Shiva Keshavan, Alpine skier Himanshu Thakur and cross-country skier Nadeem Iqbal will have to walk behind the IOC flag.

The Indian athletes will compete under the "independent athletes" category and will be represented under the Olympic flag.

It will be an embarrasing situation for India as billions of people all over the world tune in to witness the opening ceremony to be held at the Fisht Olympic Stadium.

The IOA was suspended by the IOC in December, 2012 due to its failure to comply with the Olympic charter. It has resulted in Indian athletes, including boxers, participating in events under the flag of world body.
India face shame in opening ceremony of Sochi Games - The Times of India

What if IOA fails to sort out it's $h!t before the Summer Olympics?:undecided:

Take it as a blessing, and use the extra time to build up your capabilities.

Of course, I doubt anything will improve until the Congress party is out of power.

Of course, I doubt anything will improve until the Congress party is out of power.

even if bjp comes in.... nothing gonna change as far as olympics are concerned........maximum 5 medals :undecided: :crazy:

Actually there was some legal problem for IOA elections to happen before Sochi Olympics. Hence they decided to comply with the IOC regulations post Sochi.

It has nothing to do with which party is in power. In India sports is seen as a waste of time. I remember during my school days during the end of the year the lone PT hour of the week is taken up by other teachers to finish up the remaining lessons.

Until the general attitude towards sports improve, India will be at the bottom of the medal table.

It has nothing to do with which party is in power. In India sports is seen as a waste of time. I remember during my school days during the end of the year the lone PT hour of the week is taken up by other teachers to finish up the remaining lessons.

Until the general attitude towards sports improve, India will be at the bottom of the medal table.

It's all about organizational abilities, which has everything to do with the government and the administrators.

Out of 1 billion people, how many have the "potential" to reach the top 10 of the world in any given sport?

Are they discovered by talent scouts, and then trained by professionals? Do they have access to the facilities and support they require to complete at the top?

If not, will they live their while lives without using any of that potential? If Sun Yang wasn't discovered, would he have been a taxi driver in Zhejiang?

India was not kicked out of the Olympics because they aren't interested in sports. It was due to gross administrative incompetency.

The same incompetency which sees thousands of potential world class athletes in India have to train at home in poor conditions without any professional guidance on how to unleash their innate potential.

And it's not just sports. Hu Jintao came from a poor family in rural China, it was the systems that allowed him to be discovered, and to live up to his potential.

And China today is still nowhere close to developed nations in terms of "per capita" Olympic medals. Why do developed nations have the advantage?

It is their systems, which allow them to find and train those with potential. Maybe there are thousands of naturally talented kids in rural China without access to swimming pools, how will they ever know their own swimming potential if no one is looking for it.

representing a country without donning the flag....that would be pretty humiliating

i wouldnt even participate if i couldnt do that

representing a country without donning the flag....that would be pretty humiliating

i wouldnt even participate if i couldnt do that

India did nothing for that athlete . I support his endeavor . when he wins he might get a govt else or else he will die in poverty .

Back
Top Bottom