What's new

India Developing New AESA Radar for LCA Mark-2

MINK

Reaction score
Country
India
India Developing New AESA Radar for LCA Mark-2

NEW DELHI — India will mount a homemade active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar on the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Mark-2, Indian Air Force sources said. However the LCA is nearly 15 years behind schedule, and the Mark-2 prototype is not expected to fly until 2013.

India’s Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) is developing the AESA radar for the LCA-Mark-2, sources said. They did not reveal to what extent it will indigenous, but said overseas help will be sought for the radar’s completion.

The Indian content of the LCA Mark-2 will be about 70 percent, according to one scientist with the DRDO’s Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), which spearheads LCA development.

The LCA Mark-1, which is due for induction in 2013-2014, will not be used for combat because it does not have the required thrust. The Mark-2, however, will be powered by the General Electric F414 engine and the aircraft has added two tons to the LCA’s original weight of eight tons.

ADA had to look overseas for a suitable engine for the Mark-2 because of technical snags in the development of the Indian-made Kaveri engine.

The Air Force has ordered 20 LCA Mark-1 aircraft and is likely to order more then 200 LCA Mark-2s once the aircraft is inducted into service.

The single-seat, single-engine LCA is an advanced technology supersonic, multirole, air-superiority fighter designed for air-to-air, air-to-ground and air-to-sea combat. Proposed in 1983, the LCA entered full-scale engineering development in 1993.

Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. is the principal producer of the LCA.

India Developing New AESA Radar for Light Combat Aircraft | Defense News | defensenews.com

It has already been discussed before. I think it will be ready at the time MK 2 comes out.

very good

so where does this radar stands wrt to other AESAs?

does this AESA have any Israeli components?

how long this venture will take?any estimation? and at what cost?

very good

so where does this radar stands wrt to other AESAs?

does this AESA have any Israeli components?

Nobody knows, because we have no base to compare it. If the puls doppler MMR would be ready and we would have some reliable specs to compare, we would at least have a hint, but that isn't the case.
I don't give much about DRDOs PR, especially when we heared IAF is not happy with the radar developments and was searching for a co-developing partner. I prefer anything that is available and capable in time, that also speeds up the development and induction of MK2 and any piece of indigenous development that already is delayed and unproven is a risk for more delays.

I really love that IAF sticks to it's requirements (contemporary requirements; not the 1993 requirements).

It's the only way to keep ADA / DRDO in the hot seat ... making them stretch their capabilities.

AESA will be a useful upgradation on the Mk-2, as compared to the Mk-1 LCA.

the indian AESA will be a downscaled version of the one on the embraer awac platfom. The modules will be the same. From what sources i have, its Something quite revolutionary, for the indian industry to come up with. The transmit receive multi module has 8 TR modules, and we have a patent on that tech. Good part is that we're building it at 25% of the cost on an imported system, and with greater performance characteristics. This baby's gonna be the same size as the elta 2032 on the tejas, and might even have some common components.

^ Don't post too much info on net where project like these are concerned.

Saraswat himself gave these news out in his interview and many articles regarding Indian T/R modules are in news and posted before.

nothing that can be used mate.
we already know for certain that the indian awac outclasses what the swedes are selling by a long shot. Our aesa tech is something we actually managed to get right very early...and we made something better than most countries with this kinda tech use, trmm modules are being produced indigenously as we speak

nothing that can be used mate.
we already know for certain that the indian awac outclasses what the swedes are selling by a long shot. Our aesa tech is something we actually managed to get right very early...and we made something better than most countries with this kinda tech use, trmm modules are being produced indigenously as we speak

Bhai any updates on AESA radar to be fitted on LCA-mk2

Bhai any updates on AESA radar to be fitted on LCA-mk2

Nope, DRDO still claims it will be available, ADA has it's doubts, MoD and IAF prefered a foreign partner, but it's possibly one reason why MK2 will face delays.

Nope, DRDO still claims it will be available, ADA has it's doubts, MoD and IAF prefered a foreign partner, but it's possibly one reason why MK2 will face delays.

Delays Delays and more Delays!!! @sancho, Lie to us bro, let us feel good for few extra days.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe them.they couldn't even make a pulse doppler properly gunning for AESA?
Kaveri is grossly underpowered.So i have doubts about engine too.

I don't believe them.they couldn't even make a pulse doppler properly gunning for AESA?
Kaveri is grossly underpowered.So i have doubts about engine too.

Humne kabka AESA, PESA, banaliya khudka AWACS bana rahe hain ( 3 done). Engine pardesi hai par chinki log ne 16 bn $ engine k piche udane par taiyar hai. 30 mn euro me plane ka full development aur tech mil raha hai. Maze karo.

Back
Top Bottom