What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

cc bharatlines.com

Mukesh_Ambani_New_House_Antilia-construction.jpg

530707002021d4c8f39fb.jpg

255t0rk.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

7320516.jpg

Bangalore

lol ajay taking pictures from Skyscrpaercity India? Did you ask for permission? Anyway it is ok. Ary you a memeber on SSC?

nightviewresize.jpg

77669567.jpg

mayapur_articlephoto.jpg

Sri Mayapur Vedic Temple - tallest hindu temple

Last edited:
I am eagerly waiting for NALANDA VISHWAVIDYALAYA to start..It is going to be one of the best campus in the world..I am planning to take a job of lecturer there in my retiring days..

I am eagerly waiting for NALANDA VISHWAVIDYALAYA to start..It is going to be one of the best campus in the world..I am planning to take a job of lecturer there in my retiring days..

If it ever opens, I'll also line up there for a job. :cheers:

Delhi-Mumbai corridor to spawn 7 ‘smart’ cities

India`s Shanghai dream has shifted base, from Mumbai to the futuristic cities that are being planned along the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC). Masterplans are ready for seven brand new cities spanning six states in what will be the biggest urban development project since Chandigarh was built in 1953.

The blueprints are inspired by industrial hubs in China and South Korea and have the potential of revolutionizing the country`s urban landscape with the introduction of what modern town planners call ``smart city`` concepts.

Their key features are compact, vertical developments, an efficient public transportation system, the use of digital technology to create smart grids for better management of civic infrastructure, recycling of sewage water for industrial use, green spaces, cycle tracks and easy accessibility to goods, services and activities designed to foster a sense of community.

Plans are also in place to integrate these cities through new airports, new rail links and arteries of ten-lane highways. The creation of a new urban vision was not the original intention, though. The DMIC was an economic and commercial initiative of the government, intended to boost manufacturing through the development of industrial centres along the western leg of the Mumbai-Delhi-Kolkata dedicated railway freight corridor.

"As we went along and looked at the international experience, we realized that we needed to go beyond that," said Amitabh Kant, CEO and managing director of the DMIC Development Corporation. "We needed to create new generation cities in which people can live, work and play. We needed cities with outstanding infrastructure and quality of life."

Experts from the US, UK, Singapore and the Netherlands were called in and what emerged could radically change the approach towards urbanization in a country that is considered a ``reluctant urbaniser`` compared to other Asian countries.

A total of 24 such new generation cities are being planned for phased development across UP, Haryana, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra. The first phase will see seven of them opening their doors by 2018-19. The processes of acquiring land, getting government clearances and generating investment have already started.

The estimated cost of building the new cities varies from Rs 30,000 crore to Rs 75,000 crore at current prices, depending on their size. The central and state governments will carry the burden of financing trunk infrastructure while a public-private partnership model is being tried out for the first time to build houses, schools, hospitals and other facilities.

The masterplans for the cities are unique in that an effort has been made to look at the future by putting in infrastructure ahead of the demand. "We have planned for 2040," said Kant.

Some of the ideas are truly innovative. For instance, each city will have underground utility corridors for parking, sewage disposal and communication lines to give it a neat look and leave enough space for facilities that are missing in most existing cities, like pavements, parks and cycle tracks.

The transportation axis is designed to discourage the use of private vehicles. The emphasis will be on dedicated bus and light rail corridors. The rule that the planners have tried to follow is that some form of public transport should be available within a 10-minute walk from home or office.

The city plan is polycentric with mixed land use so that residents can live, shop and relax close to their place of work.

Delhi-Mumbai corridor to spawn 7 ?smart? cities - The Times of India

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom