What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

Indian IT Co.'s have built up huge cash reserves. Top 4 have almost $ 10 Billion. # 1 TCS alone is valued around $ 80 Billion.

IT must be the Indian economy's engine powering all other sectors. Indian Co.'s are poised for a boom. An enriching economy.

For eg. Tata Steel is over 100 yrs. old yet is worth $ 25 Billion approx. TCS is less then 1/2 in age, founded '68.

I'm wondering if India's new age IT sector isn't the biggest chunk of the economy now. It's already bigger then the other biggies of agro., steel, coal and auto for sure. anyone?
Wiki says about $ 100 Billion, or about 7.5 % of the economy. That's huge. IT is asset light sector. IT is also large margin business in the Indian context. So $ 100 Billion IT export's add the equivalent to 10-25 times in PPP terms (specially in terms of bricks, mortar and labour re: construction industry), so
  • IT industry pours $ 1 Trillion to 2.5 Trillion/yr. to the Indian economy in real, tangible purchasing parity terms like brick, mortar & labour terms.

• Remittances of about $ 100 Billion add another $ 1 Trillion to 2.5 Trillion/yr. to the Indian economy in the above brick, mortar & labour terms. Total of above:

~ 2 to 5/2, $ 3.5 TRILLION year-on-year!

• Pharmaceuticals, Diamonds and crude oil refines exports grow with no end in sight.
All are sun-rise type sectors.

I hope more of this goes into real - estate. Why real-estate? Well, India's biggest deficit is infrastructure (bricks, mortar and labour) and I think real-estate is directly linked to infrastructure.

This is it then, like someone said - IT is India's oil & gas :cool: !

The IT sector did more than just contribute to the economy. There is one aspect that people do not see and IMHO is a much higher contribution. IT contributed to furthering the social cohesion of the Indian society. IT is merit based. It does not see a Tamil or a Gujarati or a Marathi. All ethnic groups are represented in the offices of Indian IT companies. They work together, eat together, become friends and in many cases like I have seen working in the IT sector, get married together. IT has to a good extent destroyed the caste and ethnic barriers that existed pre-IT boom. Your thoughts?

Merit is always there. However, merit was slowly eroded during the Mughal era.

British colonialism imposed some merit and equality in the system which was earlier biased towards the former Mughal colonial powers if you know what I mean. The Brits tried to systemically treat everyone equal under their new law, the Indian Penal Code, in contrast to the Shariat derived judicial system. Neither judicial system was perfect, but the Mughal one was more prejudiced against the majority while the British was less biased towards the majority. After all, the British enlightenment was all about voting, parliamentary sensibilities, and majority rule of law and it took them a hell of a long time to wean that power away from their feudal lords and kings.

Caste system per se was not a bad thing, even today it provides a point-of-reference. Creed and ethnicity are also tools of survival. For eg. clean technology can now be a backward caste driven business. India needs clean tech. And the outcasts have enough political gumphh, economic mojo and even technical and mgmt. skills to take their natural prerogative, no?

Long story short, yes, I agree that the IT thing has amplified Indian sensibilities re: merit.
Nevertheless,
  • the $ 1 to 2.5 Trillion IT industry yr.-on-yr., money is money sir, cash is king;
    is having a ripple and cascade effect right across every layer, segment and slice of India.
    (I repeat that is in PPP terms re: India where a $ goes far farther in terms of deficit Indian infra. and it's building blocks of labour, bricks and mortar. So India adds 1 Canadian economy every yr. with it's IT exports alone. If you add up all the other exports, it's adding $ about 5-7.5 Trillion in PPP terms every yr. The equivalent of 1/2 the American economy every year That's on top of what India has on the ground. India is not starting from of course, the germ or the seed was already there in the form of steel plants, reasonable manufacturing in transportation, consumer goods even aeroplane parts and small planes, tanks, tractors, ports, mines, agri. and canals, fishing, railways and roads. No 500 hp sports cars but plenty of scooters and small motorcycles.)
Social, economic, cultural, language and even religion based realities are impacted by IT. I kid you not.

The 2'nd part of below vid. talks about all of the above.

More, even if it's govt. type:

:offtopic: Learning from South America, I think the average, good infra. enabled (read metro lines and trunk roads), city outskirts, high rise 2 bed flat prices should settle to $ 35000-50000. Yeah. For eg. Tata Sons sub TCS $ 80 Billion valuation and cash machine type profits can cross finance Tata Housing sub. Imagine what kind of money Tata Housing may be able to raise with Tata Sons backing. In finance terms, $ 100 Billion down payment can raise upto $ 1 Trillion wort dlf's Icon h of 3-5 yrs. mid term funding. That's like $ 10-25 Trillion in PPP terms. Since the Tata housing flats are pre-booked or sold in advance, it's hardly a high risk investment. Can Co.'s like Tata Housing scale up to available funding or demand?

Nothing stops Wipro, Infosys, HCL, Cognizant etc. to get into the infra. or housing business either considering their valuations and cash-piles. Of course, they do bank the money, and the banks do the infra., housing or real-estate investing for them. It's the economics thing.

Presently, below dlf Icon 3 bed. apt.'s in outskirts of Delhi in Gurgaon are $ 1 million each !

new-town-heights.jpg

Last edited:
Terminal 1A/1C, CSI Airport, Bombay

A Jet Airways 737-800 departs for Dubai on a hazy day...
p9k4.jpg

1pdw.jpg

e3l4.jpg

52f6.jpg

An Iran Air 747 heavy takes off headed for Tehran…
te7m.jpg

cc: me; pardon the quality of the photos in this post. It was pretty hazy yesterday.

@Bombaywalla could you please take out the time to explain - in words - Bombay's new airport.
Im a little confused about it.

Currently bombay has 2 airports right? Which is the main one.
In which airport is the new terminal being built?
How many existing terminals are there in the main airport right now?

Thanks

@Bombaywalla could you please take out the time to explain - in words - Bombay's new airport.
Im a little confused about it.

Currently bombay has 2 airports right? Which is the main one.
In which airport is the new terminal being built?
How many existing terminals are there in the main airport right now?

Thanks

Hey! Bombay currently has TWO terminals spread across ONE airfield i.e Chhatrapati Shivaji International. Terminals 1A, 1B, and 1C (all located in Santacruz), cater to all domestic operations, while Terminal 2A, and 2C (both in Sahar/Andheri), currently cater to all international flights in and out of the city.

The new Terminal 2 is being built as a brownfield development in the Sahar/Andheri area as a replacement to 2A/2C, and will eventually absorb most domestic operations as well. The domestic terminals (1A/1B/1C) will continue to function until domestic operations can be moved to the (currently under construction) new integrated terminal 2.

It's delightful to actually see India's development as it comes to us re: the internet and specially mobile phones and their sometimes grainy cameras allowing mobile users the luxury of indulging their pixels. I was thinking India's development is thankfully also IT enabled. It wasn't always so with pixels, bandwidth and intention also.

---xxx---

Mahindra Sells 6.5 Lakh (650,000) Bolero Jeeps

- Is a coal version possible?

Natural Gas, electric or hybrid versions would fire up sales.

These jeep type vehicles must be adding a fraction of a percentage point to the economy.
  • @ Indian Rs. 5.87-7.5 Lakhs ($ US 9870 or Pak. Rs. 10.5 Lakhs), it's a steal.
Is Mahindra's Bolero India's Toyota Hi-Lux, there seems to be a slew of 3-wheeler pick-up's under the Bolero category. The mini-trucks also chew on the Bolero market, one would think. Never mind the tractors, bullock, camel and donkey carts.

mahindra_bolero_aad06_dvdb.JPG

Mumbai, Oct. 31:- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd (M&M) has sold more than 6.5 lakh units of its flagship sports utility vehicle (SUV) Bolero in India.

“Over the years, the Bolero has been updated and evolved with the changing lifestyle and aspirations of its customers resulting in its growing popularity,” said Pravin Shah, Chief Executive-Automotive Division.

The entry-level SUV, launched in 2000, has been the highest selling for the past seven years. M&M had sold 1.18 lakh vehicles in the financial year 2013, a 17 per cent growth from about one lakh units sold during the previous fiscal.

---xxx---

Otherwise, they end up ferrying rocket parts on bullock carts like below ;):

thumb.cms

---xxx---

New Infosys Office

n9oq.jpg

Last edited:
Merit is always there. However, merit was slowly eroded during the Mughal era.

British colonialism imposed some merit and equality in the system which was earlier biased towards the former Mughal colonial powers if you know what I mean. The Brits tried to systemically treat everyone equal under their new law, the Indian Penal Code, in contrast to the Shariat derived judicial system. Neither judicial system was perfect, but the Mughal one was more prejudiced against the majority while the British was less biased towards the majority. After all, the British enlightenment was all about voting, parliamentary sensibilities, and majority rule of law and it took them a hell of a long time to wean that power away from their feudal lords and kings.

Caste system per se was not a bad thing, even today it provides a point-of-reference. Creed and ethnicity are also tools of survival. For eg. clean technology can now be a backward caste driven business. India needs clean tech. And the outcasts have enough political gumphh, economic mojo and even technical and mgmt. skills to take their natural prerogative, no?

Long story short, yes, I agree that the IT thing has amplified Indian sensibilities re: merit.
Nevertheless,
  • the $ 1 to 2.5 Trillion IT industry yr.-on-yr., money is money sir, cash is king;
    is having a ripple and cascade effect right across every layer, segment and slice of India.
    (I repeat that is in PPP terms re: India where a $ goes far farther in terms of deficit Indian infra. and it's building blocks of labour, bricks and mortar. So India adds 1 Canadian economy every yr. with it's IT exports alone. If you add up all the other exports, it's adding $ about 5-7.5 Trillion in PPP terms every yr. The equivalent of 1/2 the American economy every year That's on top of what India has on the ground. India is not starting from of course, the germ or the seed was already there in the form of steel plants, reasonable manufacturing in transportation, consumer goods even aeroplane parts and small planes, tanks, tractors, ports, mines, agri. and canals, fishing, railways and roads. No 500 hp sports cars but plenty of scooters and small motorcycles.)
Social, economic, cultural, language and even religion based realities are impacted by IT. I kid you not.

The 2'nd part of below vid. talks about all of the above.

More, even if it's govt. type:

:offtopic: Learning from South America, I think the average, good infra. enabled (read metro lines and trunk roads), city outskirts, high rise 2 bed flat prices should settle to $ 35000-50000. Yeah. For eg. Tata Sons sub TCS $ 80 Billion valuation and cash machine type profits can cross finance Tata Housing sub. Imagine what kind of money Tata Housing may be able to raise with Tata Sons backing. In finance terms, $ 100 Billion down payment can raise upto $ 1 Trillion wort dlf's Icon h of 3-5 yrs. mid term funding. That's like $ 10-25 Trillion in PPP terms. Since the Tata housing flats are pre-booked or sold in advance, it's hardly a high risk investment. Can Co.'s like Tata Housing scale up to available funding or demand?

Nothing stops Wipro, Infosys, HCL, Cognizant etc. to get into the infra. or housing business either considering their valuations and cash-piles. Of course, they do bank the money, and the banks do the infra., housing or real-estate investing for them. It's the economics thing.

Presently, below dlf Icon 3 bed. apt.'s in outskirts of Delhi in Gurgaon are $ 1 million each !

new-town-heights.jpg

Why don't you just enjoy your natural prerogative of licking white man's behinds in Canada, like probably your forefathers licked of Brit's and Mughal's, collecting crumbs of opium trade; and just leave India to Indians?

Last edited:
I didn't know a lot of Global funds like IFC, Gulf and other $ petro sovereign funds invested in India growth funds.

Gurgaon Gold Souk

New-Delhi-India6651.jpg

Last edited:
Aerocity Phase 1 (45+ Acres), IGI Airport, Delhi
5op6.jpg

aerocitymap1.jpg

cc: IU on skyscrapercity.com

tm4m.jpg

dtdb.jpg

screenshots cc: Suncity on skyscrapercity.com; source: Sunra Bose on youtube

Given that land is scarce and expensive, why do Indian cities have so few high-rises and super-talls?

From what I can see from in this thread, there are too few high-rises under construction. Does India have any plans to boost high-rise construction to alleviate land scarcity?

Last edited:
Given that land is scarce and expensive, why do Indian cities have so few high-rises and super-talls?

From what I can see from in this thread, there are too few high-rises under construction. Does India have any plans to boost high-rise construction to alleviate land scarcity?
High Rises are not allowed in Delhi by law to preserve the cultural heritage of Delhi.
There are hundreds of high rises under construction in Bombay, Noida and Gurgaon.

Aerocity Phase 1 (45+ Acres), IGI Airport, Delhi

cc: IU on skyscrapercity.com

tm4m.jpg

screenshots cc: Suncity on skyscrapercity.com; source: Sunra Bose on youtube

See, this is a problem- on the right of this pic you can see RAW's ARC divison, all those a/c you see are either owned by RAW or are on deputation to them. Anyone on the higher floors of the hotels on the left hand side will be able to see the operations of all ARC ops out of IGI.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom