India cuts military budget due to Coronavirus pandemic

Pakistan Space Agency

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India cuts military budget due to coronavirus pandemic
By Boyko Nikolov

April 13, 2020

NEW DELHI, (BM)The Ministry of Finance of India has tightened the policy of allocating funds to the programs of the Ministry of Defense of the country due to the financial and economic effect of the pandemic of the coronavirus COVID-19, learned BulgarianMilitary.com quoted Jane’s Defense Weekly report on April 12.

The publication bases its forecast on the fact that on April 8, the Ministry of Finance of India called on the military department to adjust the programs for the 2020-2021 financial year, taking into account the reduction in funding.

According to some reports, Indian authorities do not expect economic improvement until at least March 2021.

What kind of programs the Indian Ministry of Defense will suffer from underfunding, the publication does not specify, but claims that this will be a serious blow to plans to modernize the army and navy.

BulgarianMilitary.com recalls that India has a delay in receiving weapons and military equipment from its partners for already ordered equipment. As we wrote on March 16 the Delivery of the first four Rafale fighters to India, scheduled for May, may be delayed.

New fighters were expected to land in India in the last week of May, but the Indian Air Force command has not yet received confirmation from Dassault Aviation.

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/amp/2020/04/13/india-cuts-military-budget-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/

Noooo!!! They need to raise military spending. I will miss the Indian posters discussing how the IAF will have squadrons of Rafales, F-21's, F35's plus SU-57's.

Last edited:
Noooo!!! They need to raise military spending. I will miss the Indian posters discussing how the IAF will have squadrons of Rafales, F-21's, F35's plus SU-57's.

Before gloating too much let's just assess what might happen to our budget. We were already facing austerity, their growth pre-covid was forecast much higher than ours, now their forecast is barely 2%. I would be surprised if our forecast now isn't negative (recessionary), that too with a much higher inflation rate. All while our reserves and government finances are only bolstered by desperate loans which we've received from benefactors and international agencies. If their budget is taking a hit, Pakistan's budget overall will probably take an equivalent hit, only difference is that our starting position was considerably worse, and our ability to weather this storm is much weaker (no reserves for example, India meanwhile has plenty). In simple terms, we have very little money in the bank, we're already reliant on loans/udhar which we've taken from everyone, from banks to local neighbours, there is hardly anyone left to borrow from, we are still cash strapped and just now we've been told to expect far fewer earnings for the coming year. My friend we are in no position to gloat.

This crisis will hit our acquisition plans too, I'm not even talking about future proposed acquisition, until recently PAF was reliant on soft loans from the Chinese to fund acquisitions, and they had trouble paying the interest alone. Just think what might happen when our economy inevitably suffers a hit, while simultaneously the world economy seizes and our usual sources of funding dry up too.

Before gloating too much let's just assess what might happen to our budget. We were already facing austerity, their growth pre-covid was forecast much higher than ours, now their forecast is barely 2%. I would be surprised if our forecast now isn't negative (recessionary), that too with a much higher inflation rate. All while our reserves and government finances are only bolstered by desperate loans which we've received from benefactors and international agencies. If their budget is taking a hit, Pakistan's budget overall will probably take an equivalent hit, only difference is that our starting position was considerably worse, and our ability to weather this storm is much weaker (no reserves for example, India meanwhile has plenty). In simple terms, we have very little money in the bank, we're already reliant on loans/udhar which we've taken from everyone, from banks to local neighbours, there is hardly anyone left to borrow from, we are still cash strapped and just now we've been told to expect far fewer earnings for the coming year. My friend we are in no position to gloat.

This crisis will hit our acquisition plans too, I'm not even talking about future proposed acquisition, until recently PAF was reliant on soft loans from the Chinese to fund acquisitions, and they had trouble paying the interest alone. Just think what might happen when our economy inevitably suffers a hit, while simultaneously the world economy seizes and our usual sources of funding dry up too.

We are not an industrial nation. Our industry is limited to Sugar, Cement and PIA. Textile is history.
Both Sugar & Cement is dependent mainly on local consumption, while local purchasing power iis founded upon foreign remittances and major chunk of it comes from GCC.
So more than COVID it's the diplomatic relations with countries, employing Pakistanis.

Don't sweat it, man. They can now download the Posters of those very jets from Google Images.

Dim the lights & use a moist towel.

SU 57 maybe yes. Doubt anyone here has ever claimed we will have F35 or F21. F21 we don't want and F35 we cannot gwt

We are not an industrial nation. Our industry is limited to Sugar, Cement and PIA. Textile is history.
Both Sugar & Cement is dependent mainly on local consumption, while local purchasing power iis founded upon foreign remittances and major chunk of it comes from GCC.
So more than COVID it's the diplomatic relations with countries, employing Pakistanis.
And what makes you think GCC won't take a hit due Covd 19...Btw for you

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al...-oil-cuts-squeeze-income-200413134812350.html

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20200412-saudi-arabia-extends-coronavirus-curfew-indefinitely/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/busine...rily-cut-staff-wages-due-to-coronavirus-2/amp

It's expected. This years budget will.take a hit in infra spending including electrification, river cleaning etc. I just hope they don't cut anything on education and food distribution. Wuhan virus has provided an opportunity to India to prepare for another pandemic while showing up API manufacturing, basic essential supplies and industries.

Back
Top Bottom