What's new

India cricketer Yuvraj Singh home after cancer therapy

fd24

Reaction score
Cricketer Yuvraj Singh, who underwent treatment for cancer in the United States, has returned to India after three months.

He underwent chemotherapy at a hospital in Indianapolis. Doctors say Yuvraj, 30, is expected to make a full recovery and resume his cricket career.

His health deteriorated during the World Cup last year, which India won for the first time since 1983.

He was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, called mediastinal seminoma.

Yuvraj spent a couple of weeks recuperating in London after finishing his treatment in the US.

'Immense joy'

He landed in the Indian capital, Delhi, on Monday morning and was met by his mother, Shabnam Singh.

As the cricketer stepped out of the airport wearing a red cap, he was mobbed by reporters and photographers.

"He is absolutely fine," his mother Shabnam Singh told reporters. "It's a moment of immense joy, it's like we have won the World Cup again."

Earlier in his treatment, Yuvraj wrote on the micro-blogging site Twitter that he was feeling "better" after receiving a message of support from cycling legend Lance Armstrong.

Armstrong, who was treated for testicular cancer, runs a foundation for cancer survivors.

Yuvraj played his last international match in November 2011.
He was the man of the tournament in last year's World Cup, helping his country win the trophy for the first time since 1983.

On his performance in the World Cup, Yuvraj said in a video message to his fans last week that he "bowled well throughout and my fielding was bang on target".

The Indian cricketer also spoke of his cancer - diagnosed soon after the victory in April.

"I didn't expect to land up here after the World Cup, but that's life," he said.

BBC News - India cricketer Yuvraj Singh home after cancer therapy

India's Yuvraj Singh says he is 'recovering well'

Cricketer Yuvraj Singh, who underwent treatment for cancer in the US, has tweeted that he is recovering well and looking forward to making a comeback.

Yuvraj returned to India after three months in April. He underwent chemotherapy at a hospital in Indianapolis.

Doctors say Yuvraj, 30, is expected to make a full recovery and resume his cricket career.

He was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, called mediastinal seminoma.

Yuvraj spent a couple of weeks recuperating in London after finishing his treatment in the US.

"Good day today. Got my blood report and scan report!! I'm in good condition!! I'm so happy to lead a normal healthy life, time to celebrate," the batsman tweeted on Monday.

Last week, Yuvraj posted pictures of him working out in the gym with fast bowler Ishant Sharma, and said the two had played a four-over tennis ball match.

"Comeback is not a challenge, it's a statement!!," he had tweeted.

Yuvraj played his last international match in November 2011.

He was the man of the tournament in last year's World Cup, helping his country win the trophy for the first time since 1983.

BBC News - India's Yuvraj Singh says he is 'recovering well'

Will be great to see him back playing cricket....

How much probablity is there of him playing in t20 world cup???

Best of luck Yuvraj Singh. Stuart Broad will not like it though.

Best wishes to Yuvraj

Sad things is GOI paying for his medical treatment if he is poor that would be acceptable , why we have to spend our money for a millionaire unnecessarily?.

Wish him the very best. As neuro pointed out, why did the government pay for the expenses ? Its not like the guy is "poor" . Millions of poor people die in India out of Hunger, lack of medicine, education, discrimination and hygiene. Does the government pay for their needs ? Does the government even care ?

This is a mad world riddled with hypocrites.

Quite surprising. You don't see many people get cancer at such young age...

Anyhow thank god he is better. I wish him all the best.

Best wishes to Yuvraj

Sad things is GOI paying for his medical treatment if he is poor that would be acceptable , why we have to spend our money for a millionaire unnecessarily?.

Are you sure its the government? Afaik, he is on a central contract (three levels - him obviously being the highest), and like any other employee/consultant, he would be covered for medical and sports injury related expenses.

Are you sure its the government? Afaik, he is on a central contract (three levels - him obviously being the highest), and like any other employee/consultant, he would be covered for medical and sports injury related expenses.

Sports minister issued that statement. Up to my knowledge BCCI is private a club then how come central contract is applicable to them? IMO BCCI players have no moral grounds to utilize our hard earned money.

Sports minister issued that statement. Up to my knowledge BCCI is private a club then how come central contract is applicable to them? IMO BCCI players have no moral grounds to utilize our hard earned money.

You are confusing issues. A central contract would have nothing to do with central government, it's just BCCI fancy speak for their contracts with players.

Yuvraj-Scoring-Century2.jpg

He made India win T20 world cup and the main world cup too..hope to see him playing again!

You are confusing issues. A central contract would have nothing to do with central government, it's just BCCI fancy speak for their contracts with players.

May be I am wrong ,if its true then there is no need to bothering about him but our govt. gng to covering his medical expenses.

Back
Top Bottom