What's new

India concerned about widening trade deficit with China

I know you think making a cup is simple, but it's not just that, it's setting up a factory, it's getting the permits, it's getting customers, it's getting the staff, the materials, the funding, the brand name, and a lot of stuff.

You know 80% of the time business is not done for the simple reason I don't like that guy, and more for the reason of I don't know that guy.

China spent the better part of the 4 decades doing business around the world, we got connections, and reputation. India could compete, but it would take time. As our production is way bigger, our cost goes down, so not only can India not compete in quality, but also not price. I know what people say about our quality, but that's Japan and the US, NOT India.

Sell something else? Something else is sold by SOMEBODY else, do you think India is a primitive society where something else is not already being done?

Imports are not investments, but why would companies spent time building their brand and reputation in India when if they succeed Indian government are just going to take it away.

The world is connected. China is everywhere. When we sell to the US maybe our supplier talks about his losses in India to some Americans, and why. The American may think twice about setting up shop in India.

China and India is not independent from the world. People talk, people socialize. People go into markets and sell and buy things because of friends and acquiescence, now do you suppose Chinese businessmen are not taken seriously around the world?

I'm Chinese I know all about the size of market means. China is huge population compare to America, but we are not close in terms of customers. You have to consider a lot of things. Americans have houses, so they want sprinklers, Chinese have apartments so we don't need it. So a simple sprinkler is a luxury item to Chinese not because it is expensive, but because Chinese is poorer.

Same deal in India, but you know, worse.

Anything is possible, but your politicians are also businessmen, that's the beauty of democracy, and guess what Chinese business is big business. Funding may not come from Chinese businessmen, but some does come from Chinese trade.

I'm not saying Indian politicians are being bought, but China is rich enough and being corrupt ourselves, you don't think we don't know how to do this bribing thing do you.

The point is what here? I understand how trade works. I understand the benefits of trade. I'm simply pointing out that the Indian state, contrary to what you & other Chinese members(some) seem to think, has options to deal with a continually skewed trade. Would that be easy? Cheap? Without cost? Hell no! Otherwise it would have already been done. Is it a possibility nevertheless. Absolutely! Maybe as a last resort but certainly possible.

As far as money buying Indian politicians, that's certainly an option :lol: but these are Indian politicians, not Chinese ones. You have no recourse if your money goes & your business follows.:)

Be that as it may - Maybe China should accelerate her switch from being a 'Cost-Effective' competitive advantage based economy to one that incorporates greater Differentiation in that brands like Lenovo that can compete with the best out there are, increase in numbers & the existing such brands look towards taking the relevant steps to become market leaders who are the 'trend setters' as opposed to ones who can come up with the same product at the same (or better) quality & lesser prices ! :)

It's not that simple, for example, when I graduated from university, you don't just go into work and start. I had people helping me learn the right things and do the right things.

China may be huge and a large number of educated men, but the people who are actually capable WITH EXPERIENCE are not that many. The culture is simply not there.

Chinese market is also not better than Europe and US, so our companies that invent new things cannot get as much exposure yet.

It's a slow process.

Instead of threatening trade war, India should look at increase its productivity and competitiveness. Trade war is not the way to go.

I certainly agree. I was pointing out to a few Chinese friends here who were adamantly gloating that India has no options that they were not as correct as they thought they were.

The point is what here? I understand how trade works. I understand the benefits of trade. I'm simply pointing out that the Indian state, contrary to what you & other Chinese members(some) seem to think, has options to deal with a continually skewed trade. Would that be easy? Cheap? Without cost? Hell no! Otherwise it would have already been done. Is it a possibility nevertheless. Absolutely! Maybe as a last resort but certainly possible.

As far as money buying Indian politicians, that's certainly an option :lol: but these are Indian politicians, not Chinese ones. You have no recourse if your money goes & your business follows.:)

What would those options be ? :what:

In bullet points for a lazy arse like myself ! :ashamed:

Haha you got the right field. :P

Though when I was younger I wanted to go for Science. That is a great industry to be in right now.

I'm into Chartered Accountancy myself ! :D

Sh*t field ! :bad:

Great Money ! :agree:

So your whole point is anything can happen? What kind of argument is that? The moon can crash China and India can find a mountain of gold under sea.

Anything can happen, but that doesn't mean it will and it's likely. I thought this argument is for the validity of imposing restrictions. All you are saying now is that it can be done, but India would also lose, which is the argument to begin with.

FYI, the last time China did the no trade thing? The hundred years of humiliation period happened. You don't want that do you? I mean again?

The only ones not understanding anything are the likes of you.I have some knowledge of business and it is not theoretical. Will India be hurt if it restricts imports from China? Absolutely. Is there a possibility that inspite of that, restrictions may be be employed? Absolutely. You obviously didn't see what was posted earlier.

Do you understand now that I'm not some lone ranger suggesting the possibility , not advocating, of such action? Your assumption that India cannot & will not consider such a move is quite clearly wrong.

They cut us off, you are just committing economic suicide. No wonder the Indian economy is so mismanaged if your politicians think like this. Indian politicians do decisions based on emotion and not using the brain.

That's why India will struggle to ever outcompete China.

It's not that simple, for example, when I graduated from university, you don't just go into work and start. I had people helping me learn the right things and do the right things.

China may be huge and a large number of educated men, but the people who are actually capable WITH EXPERIENCE are not that many. The culture is simply not there.

Chinese market is also not better than Europe and US, so our companies that invent new things cannot get as much exposure yet.

It's a slow process.

You're right - Then perhaps more mergers & acquisitions to absorb more & more know-how, would be a good bet ! :)

What would those options be ? :what:

In bullet points for a lazy arse like myself ! :ashamed:

I heard that your home underneath the sea got pushed up in the recent quake. You will understand if me and Oscar appropriate it, yes? We have a breeding project in mind and need space.

Well a trade gap can be filled in many ways, the "natural" and most beneficial way is the most effective one- which would be to facilitate the industrial ecosphere by providing the right policies and making the ancillaries (required by any IC) available in a more efficient and cheaper manner. Its about competitiveness and capacity.

Accountancy is great buddy. :D

One of my parents is an Accountant (for the HK Treasury department).

I respect that field a lot. There is huge money in it as well.
@Armstrong is just a reluctant munshi.

Being a munshi (accountant) is loads of fun, try it if you haven't.:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
Accountancy is great buddy. :D

One of my parents is an Accountant (for the HK Treasury department).

I respect that field a lot. There is huge money in it as well.

I'd better meet your parent & compare notes ! :)

And impress upon them that the 'forefathers of Accounting' must have been sociopaths for them to create such a dry & boring subject that makes one wanna pull their hair out just to break the monotony ! :lol:

HK Treasury Department - They must be in the Financial Management side - That side of accounting is fun to do !

To have a strong manufacturing base you need good HARD infrastructure. You need good transportation, telecommunication, power grids that are reliant and stable, ports, etc.

Then you need SOFT infrastructure such as low regulations, low taxes, rule of law, etc.

You don't just snap your fingers and say we want manufacturing now and you instantly become a manufacturing country.

"Munshi"... is how you guys say accountant?

That is amazing, I love the sound of that word. "Munshi". :D

Though I'm not quite sure how to pronounce it, lol.

"Mun - shee". Just add a "M" before the "un" (the latter- "un"- is pronounced akin to how you'd pronounce the abbreviation for the United Nations).:tup:

Back
Top Bottom