What's new

India calls off defence talks with Sri Lanka; protect our citizens, Colombo

Sashan

Reaction score
NEW DELHI/COLOMBO: Amid severe attack by Tamil parties over engagement with Sri Lanka, India has called off the annual defence dialogue with that country scheduled to start from March 23.

No reason was given for cancellation of the secretary-level talks which were to be held here for three days.

"The annual defence dialogue with Sri Lanka has been called off," a source told, adding new dates have not been decided yet.

During the talks, the two sides were to discuss ways to strengthen defence ties and finalize future military exercises.

The decision has come at a time when Tamil Nadu parties are up in arms over India's engagement with Sri Lanka.

Tamil parties, including key UPA ally DMK, has been criticizing the government for holding training for Sri Lankan forces, which has subsequently been shifted from South to North India.

However, India has also maintained that it will not cease military ties with Sri Lanka and continue to provide training to its personnel in Indian military academies and institutions.

India had shifted the exercise between special forces of the two countries from Belgaum in Karnataka to Nahan in Himachal Pradesh.

Likewise, it had also instructed the Navy to hold war games with the Lankan navy away from the waters of four south Indian states.

In the recent days, DMK has accused the government of being soft on alleged atrocities by Sri Lankan forces against ethnic Tamils and even threatened to withdraw support if India does not support a resolution against Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council.

'Protect our citizens'

Meanwhile, Sri Lanka on Monday asked India to provide necessary security to Lankan people and property there following continued protests especially in Tamil Nadu.

Karunathilake Amunugama, Lanka's ministry of external affairs' secretary said Colombo has lodged a formal request with the Indian authorities in this connection.

Sri Lanka's concerns arose after two successive attacks against Buddhist monks and a group of pilgrims.

In Tamil Nadu's Tanjavur, a Lankan monk, who was a researcher of archaeology, came under attack last week while today at the Chennai central station another monk and a group of pilgrims were allegedly attacked.

Meanwhile, Champika Ranawaka, a minister from JHU party told a press briefing here that the government must take the attacks more seriously.

He advocated banning Tamil Nadu origin travellers into Sri Lanka and insisted that Lankans must also be advised against travelling to the southern Indian state.

"We may have to take this step if the Tamil Nadu leaders continued to act foolishly so as to allow attacks against our citizens", Ranawaka, a key ally of the President Mahinda Rajapaksa said.

India calls off defence talks with Sri Lanka; protect our citizens, Colombo tells Delhi - The Times of India

Take strong stand, Jayalalithaa tells Manmohan

Even as State-wide students’ protest continues on the issue of Sri Lanka’s human rights record, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Monday called for a “strong, historic and courageous stance” of India in the matter and wanted the Union government to not only support the US-sponsored resolution in the 22nd session of the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) but also strengthen it through suitable amendments.

In her letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the Chief Minister gave a host of specific suggestions in making the text of the resolution stronger.

Emphasising that there should be, in the operative portion of the resolution, an unequivocal call for a credible, independent, international mechanism to prosecute “genocide, war crimes and war criminals” and the accused should stand trial before an international court, she said “this process should be completed within a period of six months and the outcome reported for a special discussion in the 25th session of UNHRC in 2014.”

The operative part should also insist that the OHCHR [Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights] report be implemented in its totality. Also, there should be a strong call to the Sri Lankan government to accept the establishment of an impartial, international institution to initiate credible and independent actions.

“This should include Sri Lanka providing a pragmatic political package to the Sri Lankan Tamils and restoring their equal rights of citizenship on par with the Sinhalese community,” she pointed out. Among her other suggestions was a mention in the resolution of the UN Secretary General’s Panel of Experts report, in addition to the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) report. In the portion dealing with reports of the continuing violations of human rights, the words, “serious concern and dismay” should replace “concern.”

In another paragraph, the term, “condemnation” should be included with reference to the failure of the Sri Lankan government to fulfil its public commitment including devolution of political authority.

She expressed dismay over the recent statements of the Prime Minister and External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, saying that they did not give a clear indication of India’s position. “It was disappointing that India had maintained a deafening silence when the US- sponsored draft was taken up for discussion in the ongoing UNHRC session.”

Recalling her memorandum presented to Dr. Singh in June 2011 and a resolution adopted by the Tamil Nadu Assembly in the same month on the issue of war crimes and the imposition of an economic embargo on Sri Lanka, she said that after a resolution was adopted in the 19th session of the UNHRC last year with the support of India, “the events and developments of the past year in Sri Lanka, as evidenced by the report of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, are a continued and sorry saga of human rights violations against the Tamils in that country.”

Take strong stand, Jayalalithaa tells Manmohan - The Hindu

Daily news papers have reported today GoSL is considering another travel ban for tamilnadu India.

all topi drama......this congress govt is worse than a chameleon.....

Who gives a eff mister, why don't u ban all travel from India and then come and talk here.

Sri Lankans don't have faced any incident in other states yet.
I can ask the same question why not ban Sri Lanakn airline and Mihin Lanka etc. lol

So which neighbor India doesnt have problem with?

I can ask the same question why not ban Sri Lanakn airline and Mihin Lanka etc. lol

Because we aren't melodramatic as you and don't throw China Card and EU card and what not at the drop of a hat.

why do SL Buddhist go TN for pilgrimage, i thought most of the major Buddhist sites r located in Northern India specially when they know the level of protests taking place in TN???:what:

Because we aren't melodramatic as you and don't throw China Card and EU card and what not at the drop of a hat.

Why fear for China this much dude? It's our right to keep friendship with what ever country we like.

Why fear for China this much dude? It's our right to keep friendship with what ever country we like.

Perhaps u didn't get what i said and why i said it.

You

Daily news papers have reported today GoSL is considering another travel ban for tamilnadu India.

Me

Who gives a eff mister, why don't u ban all travel from India and then come and talk here.

You

Me

The Cards i speak of came about because i wanted to show how u behave melodramatically, not because India is afraid of this or that power. Banning Srilankan Airlines is also such a melodramatic action u want us to take.

Seeing the comprehension skills on display i had to rehash the whole thing for you.

Perhaps u didn't get what i said and why i said it.

You

Me

You

Me

The Cards i speak of came about because i wanted to show how u behave melodramatically, not because India is afraid of this or that power. Banning Srilankan Airlines is also such a melodramatic action u want us to take.

Seeing the comprehension skills on display i had to rehash the whole thing for you

Silly comments!

This is wrong the Kongi Gov is now damaging our foreign policy
Bcauz of local pressure

Back
Top Bottom