What's new

India builds cheapest nuclear reactors in the world: Govt

David James

BANNED
Reaction score
India builds cheapest nuclear reactors in the world: Govt

NEW DELHI: India builds the cheapest nuclear reactors in the world. The completion cost for the indigenous 700 MW pressurized heavy water reactors (PHWRs), which is under construction, is $1,700/kwe, government told Parliament on Thursday. Indian reactors, government said, compares favourably with other reactors in the world.

Government also stated that the Kudankulam nuclear power plant, being operated by NPCIL, would come under the Civil Nuclear Liability Act. This is the first time the government has openly admitted this, in the wake of the Russian government's objections and their insistence that the KNPP be kept under the inter-governmental agreement.

In fact, the Russian government has also threatened to increase the costs for Kudankulam 3 and 4, if they are brought under the Indian liability law. The government also stated that the delay in commissioning Kudankulam 1 and 2 has increased the cost from Rs 13,171 crore to Rs 17,270 crore.

The overnight costs of South Korean reactors are higher than Indian. South Korean nuclear reactors are generally believed to be the cheapest, the South Koreans having won a prestigious UAE nuclear reactor contract. The Korean OPR-1,000 and APR-1,400 cost $1,876/kwe and $1,556/kwe. The government said Indian reactors have an overnight cost of $1,150/kwe.

Meanwhile, a joint venture company between NPCIL and Uranium Corporation of India (UCIL) would be formed to acquire uranium assets overseas.

India builds cheapest nuclear reactors in the world: Govt - The Times of India

capability to build is one thing and actually bidding and winning is a different issue.. IMO the order books are full for BHEL for next couple of years and this article is nothing but skin flashing.

good for you mate, anything else you wish to share? Quoting TOI is like asking to be trolled. Let me just get my popcorn and enjoy this thread for its gonna be a TROLLFEST!!
P.s. getting a rat in wheel hooked up to a generator is much cheaper, just so you know...

good for you mate, anything else you wish to share? Quoting TOI is like asking to be trolled. Let me just get my popcorn and enjoy this thread for its gonna be a TROLLFEST!!
P.s. getting a rat in wheel hooked up to a generator is much cheaper, just so you know...

Its reported in all the major news media including wall street journal.

Google for more.

BTW, its the official statement of Govt. of India in the Parliament and it can't be false at any cost.:angel:

Don't twaddle when you know squat! This info is from none other than the defence minister in Parliament and only reported by the ToI. Don't shoot the messenger. You as usual, have shot yourself in the foot here.

india already has a treacherous safety record on nuclear safety, and now it goes cheap to buliding more reactors. :hitwall:

india already has a treacherous safety record on nuclear safety, and now it goes cheap to buliding more reactors. :hitwall:

Talk with some sense my friend , we doen't have the 2nd last position in nuclear safety just about the N.K in the world .

Yes we will build more and more while jealous will burn out of jealousy. :devil:

India will build more Nuke plants to increase the strength from present 4500 MW to.................21,000 MW. :smokin:

We will increase our Nuke plant capacity 5 times

Is building cheapest reactors because of the low funds available or is it the innovation behind the reactors ??

India can develop world's cheapest nuclear reactors: Narayanasamy
Minister of State in Prime Minister's Office V Narayanasamy on Thursday said that India can develop the world's cheapest nuclear reactors with an amount of $1700 per unit for a 700mw reactor when compared to an average $2,500 and $3,000 in the world.
The completion cost of the indigenous 700mw Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWRs) presently under construction is about 1700 USD/kWe.
The overnight costs of South Korean reactors OPR-1000 and APR 1400 are 1876 USD/kWe and 1556 USD/kWe respectively, as per the International Energy Agency's publication "Projected Costs of Generating Electricity" 2010 Edition.
The overnight cost of Indian 700mw PHWRs is about 1150 USD/kWe at 2008 prices.
The quality of Indian nuclear power reactors is comparable to those in other countries of the world including South Korea.The above information was given by Narayanasamy in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha today.
India can develop world's cheapest nuclear reactors: Narayanasamy - India - DNA
Now what's say? Lets bash India. Hmm$$$$$$$$

Is building cheapest reactors because of the low funds available or is it the innovation behind the reactors ??
Low funds are available in China & South Korea compared to all world. So it's definitely innovation.

good news

we should use this reactors in upcoming medium size nuclear power plants being built by GOI

this will save lot foreign currency and after seeing performance of these reactors, some nations may buy these reactors,

Look who is talking who is importing every thing Cheap from China....Btw FYI Cheap doesn't always means Low on quality......
and ya this should be the new headline for this article.....

India Builds World's Most Affordable Nuclear Reactor..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom