What's new

India Begins Manufacturing 400 T-90S Tanks For Army

Zapper

Reaction score
Country
India
India has commenced manufacturing 400 T-90S battle tanks for its army after it signed a contract with Russia to extend the build license until 2028, last year.
3_img118320093808.jpg

“India made a decision to purchase T-90S tanks, which they are already producing under a license agreement. We extended the previous license deal until 2028 last year, so India could build 400 more tanks,” Head of Russia’s Federal Service for Military and Technical Cooperation Dmitry Shugayev said during an interview with Rossiya-24 TV on Monday.

The Indian defense ministry’s acquisition body approved the purchase in November 2016.

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/2...400_T_90S_Tanks_for_Army__Report#.XnGd5XL7TDc
Last April, India’s plan to procure a fresh batch of 464 T-90 tanks for $1.93 billion (INR 13,800 crore) was doing rounds in the media. "Russia will prolong the license for production of T-90 tanks in India. This is in connection with the Indian government’s decision to purchase more tanks for its armed forces," TASS reported, quoted the federal service as saying.

Following this, a Jane’s report said that the contract will be signed “in the next few months.”

According to the Military Balance 2019 handbook published by the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), over 1,025 T-90S tanks are operational in the Indian Army at present.

Shugayev also said that India is keen on buying MiG-29 fighters, 60 of which it already has in its inventory. "There is a high probability that we will have an additional order for MiG-29 fighter jets," he said.

Are tanks any good on the China front? We already have like more than 3000 tanks and the only place they can be used is Punjab and Rajasthan. I would say we need a huge number of artillery guns, build bunkers and heavily entrenched positions along the China border. All our purchases seemed aimed at Pakistan.

Are tanks any good on the China front? We already have like more than 3000 tanks and the only place they can be used is Punjab and Rajasthan. I would say we need a huge number of artillery guns, build bunkers and heavily entrenched positions along the China border. All our purchases seemed aimed at Pakistan.

Ladakh is good enough tank country for light and medium weight tanks like T-90 thats why already T-90s are deployed there, rest all front is high himalayas so no armour role there.
This order is give to mostly sustain jobs and knowhow otherwise without any more orders these folks will have no work and basically dead weight on defense ministry.

I would say we need a huge number of artillery guns, build bunkers and heavily entrenched positions along the China border. All our purchases seemed aimed at Pakistan.

There are more fighter jet squadrons guarding our eastern states than west since we clearly know a conflict if ever arises with China would be primarily concentrated in aerial engagements. Media is general sheds more light on Pak related news due to our animosity and constant cross-border firings on LoC

ITBP has done a great job in pushing back any chinese encroachments into our territory through the porous border. Over the past decade, major infra projects for troop mobilization and deployment have been taken up to match the Chinese build-ups on their side. We've also tested multiple jets to land and take-off from highways and expressways on the eastern front but haven't tested similar capabilities on the west.

Also, artillery systems are currently being manufactured with orders placed for Dhanush & ATAGS while simultaneously procuring M777s' made by L&T.

Kalyani, Tata, Mahindra, L&T, Bharat Forge etc have all exhibited indigenously designed & developed artillery systems of various calibers in DefExpo2020 ensuring we'd be self-sufficient for all future orders. 1 outta the 2 squadrons of Rafales will also be deployed in the eastern front fyi

Ladakh is good enough tank country for light and medium weight tanks like T-90 thats why already T-90s are deployed there, rest all front is high himalayas so no armour role there.
This order is give to mostly sustain jobs and knowhow otherwise without any more orders these folks will have no work and basically dead weight on defense ministry.

Huh? so that means we will manufacture tanks that we don't need? Put them to other tasks to sustain jobs. The army is short on almost each equipment that you can think of. Artillery guns, shells, manpads, armoured trucks etc etc. There is ample room to create hundreds of thousands if not millions of jobs in the defense sector.

So in next two years it seems we will have around 1500 T90s operational... Impressive number but I feel we will need at least 2000 of these beasts along with 700-800 Arjuns and already existing around 2000 T72s....

Leopard 2a7 and leclerc are better than T90. Why doesn't India buy the Leopard 2a7 and leclerc license

One shoot of nuclear artillery is enough for them....:-)

Nuclear war will be destructive for both of us my friend....Pakistan too have quite a deadly armoured core..... I'm really happy that you guys didn't go for Abraham's in 90s when Zia was actually in favour of buying those beasts....

Leopard 2a7 and leclerc are better than T90. Why doesn't India buy the Leopard 2a7 and leclerc license

Leclerc my dream tank.... But very expensive to procure in numbers.... No wonder apart from France only UAE operates this tank.... I think Arjun Mk3 will be in the class of Leclerc....

We have Arjun MBT in the Leopard 2 weight range which is 60+ tons
Leclerc is around 56-60 tons based on the configuration while T-90 is a 45 ton tank. Also, Leopard 2 costs around $6mn, Leclerc costs $4.5mn while T-90 costs $2mn

I am very skeptical of how these armored warfare will play out infront of modern guided anti-Armor artillery, foot soldiers with unlimited supply of ATGM, cheap drones with AGMs, attach Hellos.

One shoot of nuclear artillery is enough for them....:-)
Nasr is good to take out IA artillery positions, once enemy Artillery cover is gone, Tanks are easy kill for infantry. Attack helicopters are vulnerable to MANpads.

Back
Top Bottom