What's new

India bags major power deal in Bangladesh, beating China

Armani

Reaction score
Country
India
HIGHLIGHTS
• BHEL is poised to seal a contract to build a $1.6 billion power plant in Bangladesh.

• It would be the biggest foreign project by an Indian power firm.

• Loss of power project is second setback for China in Bangladesh.

51103373.jpg

DELHI/DHAKA: State-run Indian firm Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) is poised to seal a contract to build a $1.6 billion power plant in Bangladesh, beating out a Chinese competitor in the latest commercial tussle between the region's two dominant powers.

After China's recent success in pushing development projects in Sri Lanka, a breakthrough in Bangladesh would be welcome news for Indian officials who have long fretted over Beijing's encroachment on to territory it considers its own back yard.

India believes Bangladesh is a part of a "String of Pearls" China is building across the Indian Ocean that stretches from Gwadar port in Pakistan to Djibouti on the African coast where it is building a naval base.

After years of negotiations, BHEL will sign a contract to build a 1,320-megawatt (MW) thermal power station in Khulna in southern Bangladesh on February 28, officials in New Delhi and Dhaka said.

China's Harbin Electric International Company Ltd, which has power projects in Iran, Turkey and Indonesia among others, lost the bid on technical grounds, said a Bangladesh official, speaking on condition of anonymity since he was not authorised to talk to journalists.

But Anwarul Azim, a spokesman for the Bangladesh-India Friendship Power Company Limited, a joint venture set up to build the coal-fired plant, said BHEL was the lowest bidder.

The Indian government's external lending arm, the Exim Bank, has backed up BHEL's offer with nearly 70 percent funding of the project's costs at a soft interest rate of around 1 percent above Libor, the leading global benchmark for pricing transactions, an Indian government official said.

He declined to be named, saying the two sides were about to seal the contract.

On Friday, Libor stood at 1.13 percent for a dollar loan for a year.

"Exim is very positive about it, very bullish about it and looking to taking this forward," David Rasquinha, the bank's deputy managing director, told Reuters of the Khulna project.

It would be the biggest foreign project by an Indian power firm, eclipsing a plant already built in Rwanda and a planned one in Sri Lanka.

Officials at China's Harbin who dealt with the bid were not immediately available for comment.

But an employee in the after-sale service department said: "The company has been involved in many such tenders, it is very normal - either we win or lose the bids."

Second setback

India and China have stepped up bids for infrastructure projects in the region in recent years, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi pushing for a greater engagement with smaller neighbours after years of neglect.

The loss of the power project is the second setback for China, after Japan muscled into Bangladesh's port sector last year, offering 80 percent financing on easy terms for a seaport, barely 25 km from a $8 billion deep water port that Beijing was negotiating to construct.

The proposed power plant will have two units of 660 MW that will generate power for local consumption. Nearly two-fifths of Bangladesh's 160 million people do not have access to electricity, according to the World Bank.

The project, though, has raised environmental concerns, with activists warning that the movement of coal posed a threat to the nearby Sundarbans, the world's largest mangrove forests.

They said the government had acquired the land and pressed on with the power station even before the environmental assessment was completed.

"This will have a devastating and irreversible impact on the Sundarbans, its ecology and biodiversity," said Anu Mohammad, secretary of the National Committee to Protect Oil, Gas, Power, Port and Mineral Resources.

Bangladesh finance minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith, however, told reporters recently that the necessary steps had been taken to reduce the impact on the environment.

India set to seal major power deal in Bangladesh, beating China - Times of India

Good news.

I foresee butthurt incoming from @asad71 and co....:cool:
Interesting take, but don't you think this entire thread, especially title is a little "butt hurt," if we must call it that.

It's a bid, you win some you lose some, nothing more normal than that. No need to make it into anything else, only need to see the statistics to know how much of a "set back" this is.

Interesting take, but don't you think this entire thread, especially title is a little "butt hurt," if we must call it that.

It's a bid, you win some you lose some, nothing more normal than that. No need to make it into anything else, only need to see the statistics to know how much of a "set back" this is.

Good point. This whole forum is 99% technically butthurt hehe.

BTW, I dont think this causes China any major butthurt at all, just those Bangladeshis who hate the thought of India.

Rampal was an all Indian project from the start.Government was in talk with BHEL and India only.So how China comes into the picture, is out of my understandings.But of course you can't expect much from primary educated jurnos.

Anyway China itself is financing and building a coal based power plant in Chittagong.Physical work has already commenced.And plan to build more is on the planning and design phase.So no big deal for China.

Ironically Bengalis will say no more load shedding before Lahoris and Karachite

Under the SHW/BAL govt major commercial decisions are hardly taken by us. Once these traitors are ousted China will have to clean up all the Indian junk and dirt.

It's always good to see cooperation (Trade) between two brotherly nations. Thanks to Her Highness - Madam Sri Sheikh Hassina Ji for giving impetus to India-Bangladesh Relationship and taking it to news heights. :tup: :cheers:

@Chinese-Dragon @Genesis I don't think it's causing any butthurt to China...at this point it's just business. The butthurt is for those members from Bangladesh who are India-haters.

++

To be frank, Bangladesh should only be focusing on development, what does it matter if you get projects from X country over Y country? Stupid religious-driven motivations are the bane hampering BD's progress and stability. What do they hope to achieve by slaving under the very countries & people that wanted them enslaved? Like Pakistan that can committed serious human rights offenses on BD population, women & children? Or China that took Pak's side and opposed BD's independence?

I know religious fanaticism can turn individuals into idiots, but *some* Bangladeshi members here are just hilarious!

Rampal was an all Indian project from the start.Government was in talk with BHEL and India only.So how China comes into the picture, is out of my understandings.But of course you can't expect much from primary educated jurnos.

Anyway China itself is financing and building a coal based power plant in Chittagong.Physical work has already commenced.And plan to build more is on the planning and design phase.So no big deal for China.

I think the China part is this :

China's Harbin Electric International Company Ltd, which has power projects in Iran, Turkey and Indonesia among others, lost the bid on technical grounds, said a Bangladesh official,

Apparently there was a bidding process, where BHEL beat HEIC to get the project.

I think the China part is this :

Apparently there was a bidding process, where BHEL beat HEIC to get the project.
My Bad, I initially mixed it up with NTPC project in rampal.
Anyway my point was it doesn't matters to China as they are bagging their portions too.

My Bad, I initially mixed it up with NTPC project in rampal.
Anyway my point was it doesn't matters to China as they are bagging their portions too.

Its a separate power project in Khulna not in Sundarban. Then why Anu pagla concerned about it?

Its a separate power project in Khulna not in Sundarban. Then why Anu pagla concerned about it?
The region is a ecological clusterfuck.And not to mention government did their chenal magic act by awarding the contract before the Environmental Impact survey.

Back
Top Bottom