What's new

India . . . At a glance. . :)

That plan was shelved. Supreme court ordered to take care of the present population of Tigers and Lions instead of introducing exotic species. The plan was to get Iranian cheetah, they were considered closest to Indian ones.

But isn't the Asiatic Cheetah itself a critically endangered species? There don't seem to be more than a 100 such cheetahs in Iran today. Would they have agreed to rehabilitate the Cheetah from such a small population in the first place? Anyways, good advice by the Supreme Court. :)

It would be fantastic if their numbers reached 10K. India also needs to increase it's % of forest cover in order to provide greater space to them. I doubt, given the apathy we currently have towards our Forest treasure, anything concrete will be done in this regard(Although officially, we've actually increased our forest cover area marginally). Avoiding man-animal conflict should be the first priority though.

I think that's the biggest danger for big cats in India. Apart from Lions no other big cats live in a pride.. & hence they need a larger habitat for individual cats. Leopards & tigers are solitary animals & rule a large area on its own. No wonder we have leopards regularly straying into human habitat.

It's really pity that Cheetah is completely extinct in Indian sub-continent. We need to import some African Cheetahs, try & see if we can integrate them into local habitat. Maybe once again we can host all the big cats in the world in India.

But isn't the Asiatic Cheetah itself a critically endangered species? There don't seem to be more than a 100 such cheetahs in Iran today. Would they have agreed to rehabilitate the Cheetah from such a small population in the first place? Anyways, good advice by the Supreme Court. :)

Yes you are correct. Iranians were ready to exchange one Cheetah for one Asiatic Lion but it didn't materialize. But the main reintroduction program involved African cheetah as Asiatic cheetah are an endengered species in Iran itself.

Actually that is a Lion Safari of Nandan Kanan Zoo. But Nandan Kanan is specially famous for white Tigers.

I had been there a few years back. Lovely place. I especially liked Bhabaneshwar's wide traffic-free strrets and airy atmosphere too. Nice place. (but the general poverty in much of Orissa was sad to see)

From my district Kendrapara,Odisha @thesolar65

Bhitarakanika Sanctuary for Salt Water Crocodiles (India's largest/biggest)

Creek-in-Bhitarkanika.jpg

12364d1264756850-bhitarkanika-trip-in-orissa-dsc03618.jpg

Bhitarkanika-Sanctuary.jpg

Bhitarkanika-National1.jpg

white-crocodile-in-Bhitarakanika-600x425.jpg

bhitarkanika-national-park.jpg

crocodile-in-bhitarkanika.jpg

10%2BBhitarkanika%2BCrocodile+Conservation.JPG

I had been there a few years back. Lovely place. I especially liked Bhabaneshwar's wide traffic-free strrets and airy atmosphere too. Nice place. (but the general poverty in much of Orissa was sad to see)

And poverty is more in mineral rich areas. They are well off in coastal areas. The problem in Odisha is we do not have a second city for people to settle in. All wants to settle in Bhubaneswar. Then comes Cuttack, because of old capital, but cannot develop further because it's squeezed between two rivers(land shortage). Next comes Rourkela because of steel Plant. And we have some small towns like Berhampur, Sambalpur..etc. Puri is OK, but you cannot stay there for more than 3 days. Its populated because of floating population.

From my district Kendrapara,Odisha @thesolar65

Bhitarakanika Sanctuary for Salt Water Crocodiles (India's largest/biggest)

Creek-in-Bhitarkanika.jpg

12364d1264756850-bhitarkanika-trip-in-orissa-dsc03618.jpg

Bhitarkanika-Sanctuary.jpg

Bhitarkanika-National1.jpg

white-crocodile-in-Bhitarakanika-600x425.jpg

bhitarkanika-national-park.jpg

crocodile-in-bhitarkanika.jpg

10%2BBhitarkanika%2BCrocodile+Conservation.JPG

Been there some 3 years back. Stayed at Chandbali Pantha niwas, went there by Boat...courtesy OTDC

And poverty is more in mineral rich areas. They are well off in coastal areas. The problem in Odisha is we do not have a second city for people to settle in. All wants to settle in Bhubaneswar. Then comes Cuttack, because of old capital, but cannot develop further because it's squeezed between two rivers(land shortage). Next comes Rourkela because of steel Plant. And we have some small towns like Berhampur, Sambalpur..etc. Puri is OK, but you cannot stay there for more than 3 days. Its populated because of floating population.

I agree. It was apparent to see why people there were angry at their Government. The Eastern belt of India as a whole is poor. But at least Bihar, UP and Bengal have a massive population problem to blame. Orissa can't even give that reason for lack of development.

How about developing Koraput further? Already a few nice townships in that place..and closer access to mineral wealth as well as a good port, Vizag.

I agree. It was apparent to see why people there were angry at their Government. The Eastern belt of India as a whole is poor. But at least Bihar, UP and Bengal have a massive population problem to blame. Orissa can't even give that reason for lack of development.

How about developing Koraput further? Already a few nice townships in that place..and closer access to mineral wealth as well as a good port, Vizag.

Koraput, Beautiful place..Been to Sunabeda once. My Sala is working in HAL. And the weather and scenery can be compared to any hill station. In summer also the temperature usually remain within 12-15 degree or less. But alas it is not developed in terms of accommodation and communication. Its because of Govt. Apathy. Govt. cannot take excuse of Naxals (though now). Long before naxals came, the area was neglected.

Are tourists allowed to go to the beach when the turtles come ashore?

I do not know, but I know there is restriction during mating season and some times the missile tests are put off during mating season. But tourist go taking permission of forest dept in certain season. Ask @desert warrior

Love it, but sadly have never been there...Programme karibaku padiba!!

Me also never been to there but has been to sea beach of Pentha and there are red crabs and many other things. Notably an old light house.

Are tourists allowed to go to the beach when the turtles come ashore?

No. Even at that time coast guard protects the sea turtles. And in time of summer and rainy days a big no.

Back
Top Bottom