What's new

India and Commonwealth Games.. will india show its power??

Do you think common wealthgames would make image of India as an upcomming power?

• Yes

Votes: 83 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 53 22.2%
  • Can't say

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • India already have an image of upcoming power

Votes: 86 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have got to admire the Chinese people. They are some of the most hard working people I have ever seen.

I mean, I don't think any Indian or Pakistani would have written such a long rant for just 10 cents!!

You Took me to surprise, LOL you made my day.. good one.

These Games are so awesome because of all the infrastructure that Delhi has been given because of it: Airport Express, Connaught Place renovation, new flyovers, upgraded sidewalks, landscaping, Metro, road widening, new airport terminal, new parking decks, etc. And also the new sports venues of course!

I'm really concerned about the security arrangements. A major terrorist attack during the CWG's will almost definitely lead to war. I sincerely hope everything goes as planned.

Im more concerned on the record of Indian athletes in events like olympics, CWG, etc in getting medals. India should invest $500 million ASAP in promoting other sports besides cricket & hockey.

Aquatic center
102955574.jpg

102955585.jpg

102955593.jpg

Only a fool will compare apples with oranges.

Commonwealth is world's 2nd biggest sports event.

BTW, In Olympic in china they have provided very cheap and low quality student hostel type accommodation to the sportsperson. Where people has to share room, no living room, TV etc.

But in India we are hosting them in 4 star level of accommodations. With jacuzzi/ sauna bath, living room, LCD screen, mineral water in taps, well furnished etc etc.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

:what: Waise ye kuch zyada hi nahi ho gaya :yahoo: itni b zaroorat nahi thi:undecided:

:what: Waise ye kuch zyada hi nahi ho gaya :yahoo: itni b zaroorat nahi thi:undecided:

beta..itana sab kuchh karne ke bad bhi kuchh players ko ye bhi kam lagega...apani country mein ek room ke home mein puri family rahati ho par host country mein 7 star hotel hi chahiye...chalo koi nanhi...

Incredible India

beta..itana sab kuchh karne ke bad bhi kuchh players ko ye bhi kam lagega...apani country mein ek room ke home mein puri family rahati ho par host country mein 7 star hotel hi chahiye...chalo koi nanhi...

Incredible India

:yahoo:u r rite papa ji:yahoo::rofl:

Games shocker: Brand-new stadiums are falling apart

Sinking ranges, flooded warm-up zones, leaking ceilings, burst water-pipes and seepage everywhere. These are features of some of the brand-new Commonwealth Games venues — the places that will showcase India before the world. With just about 75 days to go for the Games’s opening ceremony on October 3, the full-bore shooting range at Kadarpur in Gurgaon, an official Games venue, has “collapsed”. Inaugurated two months ago by Sports Minister MS Gill, the range even hosted a test event for the Games but has now self-destructed after the rains in the first week of July

"Due to the incessant rains on the night of July 4 and 7,” reads the letter, “the various embankments on the range (which will host two medal events during the Games), have collapsed and extensive damages (sic) have been caused. The grassy expanse of lawn overhead the first box culvert has been washed away along with the side foot-tracks.”

The bad news doesn’t end here. The “all-weather road” (as the letter puts it) obviously wasn’t fit for all kinds of weather. The letter continues: “…the all-weather road near culvert No. 2 is about to collapse as all the underlying sand fillings have been washed away. There are visible landslides on either side of the remaining box culverts.”

“The chain-linked fences have come down at various places and its footings (sic) are hanging free in the air. The windowpanes of the facility block are leaking badly. The CPWD (Elect) has made numerous holes on the rooftop for split ACs resulting in seepage inside and damage to the false ceiling,” the letter adds.

Former CRPF DIG and sports manager, TS Dhillon, on whose recommendation the range was built inside the CRPF complex, was unavailable for comment. He designed the range.

Rahul Bhatnagar, one of the two joint secretaries in charge of the Games, told HT that they had "referred the issue to the Central Public Works Department". "There is no structural damage to the big culverts built underground, for rainwater to pass through without damaging the range. The mud has settled on the range," said Bhatnagar.

What makes the situation even more embarrassing is that this is just one more in a long list of shortcomings of the proposed Games venues.

The "new" Dr SP Mukherjee Swimming Complex was inaugurated on Sunday despite the fact that parts of the complex are far from complete. Even as the inauguration was on, a water pipe malfunction sprayed water all around. Crucial aspects of the competing/non-competing areas like lap timers, wall plaster etc were either missing or already in dilapidated condition.

Or take the Talkatora Boxing Stadium. The holding and warm-up boxing areas, located in the basement, have major seepage problems --- no one obviously factored the rains into any construction design. There was some flooding inside because of leakage while outside, there was more than a foot of water all around.

This all comes soon after the Yamuna Sports Complex episode, where the false ceiling collapsed and the wooden flooring got damaged because of waterlogging. Both will now have to be replaced.

story_pic.jpg

19_07_01-embarrassments.jpg

Last edited:

Sinking ranges, flooded warm-up zones, leaking ceilings, burst water-pipes and seepage everywhere. These are features of some of the brand-new Commonwealth Games venues — the places that will showcase India before the world. With just about 75 days to go for the Games’s opening ceremony on October 3, the full-bore shooting range at Kadarpur in Gurgaon, an official Games venue, has “collapsed”. Inaugurated two months ago by Sports Minister MS Gill, the range even hosted a test event for the Games but has now self-destructed after the rains in the first week of July

"Due to the incessant rains on the night of July 4 and 7,” reads the letter, “the various embankments on the range (which will host two medal events during the Games), have collapsed and extensive damages (sic) have been caused. The grassy expanse of lawn overhead the first box culvert has been washed away along with the side foot-tracks.”

The bad news doesn’t end here. The “all-weather road” (as the letter puts it) obviously wasn’t fit for all kinds of weather. The letter continues: “…the all-weather road near culvert No. 2 is about to collapse as all the underlying sand fillings have been washed away. There are visible landslides on either side of the remaining box culverts.”

“The chain-linked fences have come down at various places and its footings (sic) are hanging free in the air. The windowpanes of the facility block are leaking badly. The CPWD (Elect) has made numerous holes on the rooftop for split ACs resulting in seepage inside and damage to the false ceiling,” the letter adds.

Former CRPF DIG and sports manager, TS Dhillon, on whose recommendation the range was built inside the CRPF complex, was unavailable for comment. He designed the range.

Rahul Bhatnagar, one of the two joint secretaries in charge of the Games, told HT that they had "referred the issue to the Central Public Works Department". "There is no structural damage to the big culverts built underground, for rainwater to pass through without damaging the range. The mud has settled on the range," said Bhatnagar.

What makes the situation even more embarrassing is that this is just one more in a long list of shortcomings of the proposed Games venues.

The "new" Dr SP Mukherjee Swimming Complex was inaugurated on Sunday despite the fact that parts of the complex are far from complete. Even as the inauguration was on, a water pipe malfunction sprayed water all around. Crucial aspects of the competing/non-competing areas like lap timers, wall plaster etc were either missing or already in dilapidated condition.

Or take the Talkatora Boxing Stadium. The holding and warm-up boxing areas, located in the basement, have major seepage problems --- no one obviously factored the rains into any construction design. There was some flooding inside because of leakage while outside, there was more than a foot of water all around.

This all comes soon after the Yamuna Sports Complex episode, where the false ceiling collapsed and the wooden flooring got damaged because of waterlogging. Both will now have to be replaced.

story_pic.jpg

LOL. Why am I not surprised? Most cities hosting the games have suffered a loss. It also makes no sense hosting the games in a heavily populated city where space is at a premium. It have made things easier if they had hosted in a Pune or a Chandigarh. It makes little or no sense to host it in a major city - least of all in Delhi.

story_pic.jpg

lol

When ever some one tried to do something big and new there were always some faults or mistakes but it can be taken care of. You are ready to blame and show us the errors but never seen praising for the achievements. :P

Good to see they are working hard on this programme but they could start it earlier.

The show is mismanaged no fault in accepting it. Lots of money is made by contractor by doing substandard work. Shear wastage of money in a this part of world.

Disgrace i feel ashamed to call myself Indian and BBC will be showing this live in UK this is even worse then the time Dr singh said mumbai will be like shanghai I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

Disgrace i feel ashamed to call myself Indian and BBC will be showing this live in UK this is even worse then the time Dr singh said mumbai will be like shanghai I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

Yaar, first of all our being Indian is the ultimate truth and we should be proud of it. CWG is too small matter to make a diffrence to it.

And now the topic, don't you know the media

Tell me something:

- According to media India and China was going to war is it happening in near future????????

- According to media World gonna finish by 2012 do you believe it????????

In 50,000 sq feet stadium if 4 sq feet get some water into false sealing do you call it "Falling apart"????

Now, the fact India gonna host best commonwealth games ever and its a truth as everything is ready.

You know us Indian we are late risers but when we start something we finishes it better then anybody.

So, don't worry.

As a citizen of Delhi who is observing everything quite closely i can assure you everything is under control.

I call myself gujarati lol in UK all the english know about us

This is why we need Modi for PM he is the man for the hour

Back
Top Bottom