What's new

India’s food industry to be worth $65 billion by 2018, report says

Kashmiri Pandit

Reaction score
Country
India
MUMBAI: The country's food industry is expected to grow 11 per cent annually to reach $65.4 billion (about Rs 4 lakh crore) by 2018, according to a research report.

The industry is presently valued at $39.71 billion (Rs 2,476.8 billion), the joint report by IIM-Calcutta and Academic Foundation said.

"Food and grocery constitute a substantial part of India's consumption accounting for around 31 per cent of the consumption basket," the report said.

In contrast, consumers in other countries spend a much lower proportion of their income on food and grocery.

While US spends 9 per cent, Brazil and China spend 17 per cent and 25 per cent respectively on food and grocery, the report said. Food is also the largest segment in India's retail sector, which was valued at $490 billion in 2013, it added.

"India's retail market is expected to grow to $865 billion by 2023, which is presently valued at $490 billion," the report stated.

The share of modern retail is expected to rise to 24 per cent of the total retail market from 8 per cent currently, it added.

The report also suggests that India may have benefitted from the presence of foreign businesses in the food supply chain.

"Several foreign companies have invested in manufacturing in India, leading to employment creation," the report observed.

"Some of the foreign firms have successfully established backward linkages and are working with farmers and contract manufacturers. These firms have contributed substantially to government revenues," it added.

There are also some additional benefits from the presence of international businesses, such as implementation of waste management, environment-friendly technologies, product innovation and exports from India, the report said.

Food processing Industry helps prevent the wastage of food while
the farmers too get a decent return in times of a good harvest

we dont eat pork neither we export it...so no industry.....but you have a big industry of cow related products ... and now u have a brigade to destroy ur industry :omghaha:

we dont eat pork neither we export it...so no industry.....but you have a big industry of cow related products ... and now u have a brigade to destroy ur industry :omghaha:

I dont want to engage in unrelated topic on this thread , but still food for your though, in pakistan alcohol is banned for muslim , do you think its not available or people don't drink?:hitwall:

Last edited:
Curbs put on beef can have an adverse effect on this growth...
Thank you for giving answer of my behalf to this indian guy .....

eating beef 24/7 without any veggies is bad for health.Go see a doctor.
who says we eat beef only.... i always order super supreme pizza from pizza hut... it is a beef pizza with nice cheese & some good veggies on it like yummy...!!!! ;)

Thank you for giving answer of my behalf to this indian guy .....

who says we eat beef only.... i always order super supreme pizza from pizza hut... it is a beef pizza with nice cheese & some good veggies on it like yummy...!!!! ;)

Countries that try to tell others how to live,behave and act are extremely insecure about the power and survival of their culture. These countries which include Saudia and Modi's India are seriously trying to direct the lives of their citizens which is unfortunate. Even in Pakistan I believe drinking is a choice of the person and curbs should not be put on it. But on the other hand I am seeing Indians justify the beef ban. Any evil or wrong law should be condemned and challenged no matter what the circumstances.

Countries that try to tell others how to live,behave and act are extremely insecure about the power and survival of their culture. These countries which include Saudia and Modi's India are seriously trying to direct the lives of their citizens which is unfortunate. Even in Pakistan I believe drinking is a choice of the person and curbs should not be put on it. But on the other hand I am seeing Indians justify the beef ban. Any evil or wrong law should be condemned and challenged no matter what the circumstances.

You are the most illogical person on the forum.

There are TWO different things here

1) Can the govt ban certain foods and does that automatically infringe on human rights of freedom as you are claiming? - Answer - a resounding NO because every single government on earth bans certain foods and drinks and that does not mean that automatically is a violation of freedom

2) Should beef be banned in India? - No I do not think its needed. However beef ban is in place in most part of India for decades and has nothing to do with MODI but with law and order. You effort to link this with Modi is just your unhealthy obsession.

Now please take your unhealthy obsession with religious victimhood and Modi out of here. No need to make every thread about Modi or how he eats Muslims for breakfast. While at it, try to work on your victimhood complex.

You are the most illogical person on the forum.

There are TWO different things here

1) Can the govt ban certain foods and does that automatically infringe on human rights of freedom as you are claiming? - Answer - a resounding NO because every single government on earth bans certain foods and drinks and that does not mean that automatically is a violation of freedom

2) Should beef be banned in India? - No I do not think its needed. However beef ban is in place in most part of India for decades and has nothing to do with MODI but with law and order. You effort to link this with Modi is just your unhealthy obsession.

Now please take your unhealthy obsession with religious victimhood and Modi out of here. No need to make every thread about Modi or how he eats Muslims for breakfast. While at it, try to work on your victimhood complex.

Banning something is a clear and adamant attack on the human rights of a person-his right to eat beef as he pleases. It is Hindutva, anti Islamic India which does this in a muslim majority region like kashmir where hindu laws are being imposed. We muslims will eat beef and cut up the cow regardless-your hindutva rules don't even matter in our neighborhood and we will continue supporting Pakistan too. That is our choice and we reserve it. There is nothing you can do about this. An evil law be it beef ban or framing of our people as terrorists we will continue to fight against the evil anti Islamic laws India imposes over us.

A truly secular society does not ban a product specially when 20% of its population actually eats it. Also if beef is banned where is the muslim right to have beef banned and sikh right to have smoking banned. India will never do this because it is a country dominated by Hindutvas.

7b2bd0f9759d029a2a2f87961f920d9e.jpg

Lets all ignore the weirdness and move on.

Last edited:
7b2bd0f9759d029a2a2f87961f920d9e.jpg

Lets all ignore the weirdo and move on.
Are Yaar they are crazzy I think. India wants to ban the beef, its our government, our decission, who the hell the other country are giving us advise what we do or what we don't. Even Peacock is banned for killing and eaten.
Could not understand, does the Beef ban will kill the muslims from hunger. Does the beef ban is only for the Muslim, and not for the cristians or the Hindu.

Our PDF think tank keep on chanting, voilation of human right-- LOLZ he very well know till now, that its the state government that decide wheter beef is banned or not and not the central government, but they are so obsessed that keep dragging MODI and hindutva. Can anyone know what is HINDUTVA. Actually its some our party like congress and some politicians that haven't left any stone unturned to defame the country image, in the procedure of defaming the BJP, RSS, Shivsena.

Back
Top Bottom