What's new

Imran Khan says he has the support to become Pakistan's future leader

Ahmad

Reaction score
London, England (CNN) -- Cricket legend turned politician Imran Khan says he has the support to become Pakistan's future leader as dominant young voters grow increasingly disillusioned with their country's political chaos and militant violence.

Khan, who also says he knows how to revive his country's cricketing fortunes, told CNN's Becky Anderson that, although his party remains on the fringe of Pakistani politics, the failures of current and previous regimes could shoo him into power.

"Pakistan is ready for a change, especially the youth," he told CNN's Becky Anderson.

"It is the young people who are basically sick of the old politics, the old political parties. I think that's where our party comes in, because if you do a survey in all the universities in Pakistan, amongst the young people, overseas Pakistanis, the number one party today is Tehreek-e-Insaf, which is our party -- Movement for Justice."

Offering scathing appraisal Pakistan's former military leader Pervez Musharraf, Khan said the man who took power in a 1999 coup and went on to become a key Western anti-terror ally before being forced to stand down in 2008 was to blame for most of the country's problems.

Khan, 57, founded the Movement for Justice party in 1996 and is its only member ever elected to parliament, serving from 2002 to 2007.

After falling foul of Musharraf's leadership in its final days -- he fled house arrest after calling for Musharraf to face the death penalty -- his party went on to boycott 2008 elections.

"Things have deteriorated so much in Pakistan today and that's thanks to Musharraf," Khan said on Connect the World when asked about the prospect of political return mooted by Musharraf on CNN days earlier.

Khan said Musharraf laid the groundwork for the 2008 election of President Asif Ali Zardari, who he described as "a criminal".

Zardari, the widower of assassinated former Paksitan President Benazir Bhutto, spent nearly a decade in prison for corruption. He inisted the charges were politically motivated.

"If Musharraf is thinking he can stage a comeback it's only because how things are now, his era looks relatively better," Khan said.

Khan also blamed Musharraf's capitulation to U.S. demands to strike against militants in remote tribal areas for a rise in extremist bomb attacks in Pakistan, which he said was were now more numerous than in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Asked about the fluctuating fortunes of Pakistan's cricket team, which Khan captained to World Cup victory in 1992, Khan said the national side was a victim of political uncertainty.

"Pakistan is being run on an ad hoc basis and so is our cricket. Cricket is not an insitution (but) the cricket board should be an institution," he said.

"How does it go wrong? The president of the country appoints the chairman of the cricket board and the president of the country knows zero about cricket. So the only qualification of the chairman of the cricket board is that the president likes him.

"That's where things start going wrong. The moment the government changes, so does the chairman of the board.

Khan: Musharraf caused chaos, bad cricket - CNN.com

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/02/19/imran.khan.pakistan/index.html

Last edited:
We'll find out (or should) in another three years I suppose.

IK has been an unmitigated failure politically so far, so it will take something special on his part, even with the failures of Zardari, for his party to win enough seats in Parliament to form a government.

Among the leaders of Pakistan, I think Imran stands out as a liberal yet grounded politician. His comments about the Pakistan being a hired gun in contrast to India was criticised in a few media circles within Pakistan and abroad. But some of his comments shows how he looks at the global theatre and shows his urge to give Pakistan its rightful place in the subcontinent. The current crop of leaders are opportunists to say the least.

I also admire your General Mush. The composure and logical arguments he would make with the media shows that he is a man of calibre. I would like to see Mush get democratically elected in Pakistan. He can to a large extent be instrumental in solving the Kashmir issue. He has the conviction to stand by what he thinks in contrast to NS or Z.

IK has been an unmitigated failure politically so far, so it will take something special on his part, even with the failures of Zardari, for his party to win enough seats in Parliament to form a government.

Agree on Imran's political performance and the implications thereof.

President Musharraf's democratic return to power would be the best scenario for Pakistan. But there's a lot that needs to be worked out before that becomes a possibility.

In his recent statement to the effect, "I believe in the military maxim. Never reinforce failure", I read a distancing from the erstwhile PML-Q/MQM coalition and perhaps an indication of interest in forming a new political party. This is all speculative on my part, of course, but would appreciate thoughts from other members.

Imran Khan will i think make great strides towards eradicating of curroption is pakistan. But i think he will really mess up our foreign policy. then there is his policy on the taliban that really scare me.

Does Imran Khan actually have any policies that are going to change things or is he another one in a line of people who promise to deliver the moon without any proper policy prescriptions?

Does he plan on hiring technocrats/professionals to run his ministries and determine policy or is he going to appoint party members to those posts? If the latter, who is he shortlisting for ministerial posts and what sorts of policy prescriptions do those individuals have for changing things.

It is about time that Pakistanis start digging deeper into these politicians and their promises and start asking them how they plan to deliver on their promises, rather than falling for nice sounding rhetoric.

I think Imran Khan has a solid record of Social work , and he actually talks on same wave length as me I like him -

Need a CHANGE from same old Shiat ... from toilet we ellect every 4 -10 years

The people of Pakistan should give this guy one oppertunity.

5120a1e014e5f7bb6dc6be856ecfee4b.jpg

May be, once again he can win something for the people of Pakistan

bd0f306f1847dafee9e274f438eca347.jpg

The problem with IK is that he has not spelled his parties foreign policy, internal policy, economic policy etc clearly to the people of Pakistan, only an interview here and an interview there on these issues. He surely have good leadership skills, but does he have adequate knowledge of the field he is tying to venture into? A world cup winning captain and a social worker does not necessarily makes a good political leader, like-wise, his somewhat soft approach to the TTP too, does not necessarily make him a bad one either. Even the Americans are trying to negotiate with Talibans if they opt out of the horrible violence. Its like PC Chidambaram of India giving the Maoist and Ulfa terrorists the option to surrender weapons and come to the democratic talk process. Fighting the terrorist was definitely the need of the hour, but it is far more important to fight and defeat the idea of extremism.

I think it is high time IK comes up openly with his parties probable policies and see if these are gullible with the common Pakistanis, unless he is happy with majority of them considering him as a closet Taliban. He should also be ready to change/ relate to the anguish/ suffering of the Pakistani citizens in the hand of terrorism as an immediate cause and some really really bad internal and foreign policies as a general cause.

WHAT ZARDARI HAS 3 MORE YEARS .. NO NO .. I think its only 1.5 years left in his term or something please ... don't give me heart attack

The problem with IK is that he has not spelled his parties foreign policy, internal policy, economic policy etc clearly to the people of Pakistan, only an interview here and an interview there on these issues. He surely have good leadership skills, but does he have adequate knowledge of the field he is tying to venture into? A world cup winning captain and a social worker does not necessarily makes a good political leader, like-wise, his somewhat soft approach to the TTP too, does not necessarily make him a bad one either. Even the Americans are trying to negotiate with Talibans if they opt out of the horrible violence. Its like PC Chidambaram of India giving the Maoist and Ulfa terrorists the option to surrender weapons and come to the democratic talk process. Fighting the terrorist was definitely the need of the hour, but it is far more important to fight and defeat the idea of extremism.

I think it is high time IK comes up openly with his parties probable policies and see if these are gullible with the common Pakistanis, unless he is happy with majority of them considering him as a closet Taliban. He should also be ready to change/ relate to the anguish/ suffering of the Pakistani citizens in the hand of terrorism as an immediate cause and some really really bad internal and foreign policies as a general cause.

His political Mandate is to fix the judicial system make it PERFECT ... the forign policies will come in later...

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf > Home

"Movement(Rally) for Justice" is what his political party stands for - for ending currption

His forigne policy is simple

..... :pakistan: :pakistan: :pakistan:

a) No more selling off Pakistani citizens
b) No more selling Pakistani land and assets
c) No more being pushed around by bullies

Imran Khan will i think make great strides towards eradicating of curroption is pakistan. But i think he will really mess up our foreign policy. then there is his policy on the taliban that really scare me.

AND WAT IS OUR FOREIGN POLICY????it could be internal policy which is army should take over the government in every 4 to 5 years..

I think Imran Khan has a solid record of Social work , and he actually talks on same wave length as me I like him -

Need a CHANGE from same old Shiat ... from toilet we ellect every 4 -10 years

:what::what: One Hospital built by money mostly provided by middle class and poor Pakistanis.

Anyway Social work is not a criteria for becoming a leader in the current political system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom