ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Imran avoids meeting with PAT, PML-Q chiefs
Grand opposition alliance
May 31, 2014
JAWAD R AWAN
LAHORE - PTI Chairman Imran Khan, following the advice of his close aides, has distanced himself from a meeting with PML-Q Chief Chuadhry Shujaat Hussain and PAT head Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri, which was being considered as the first dialogue for forming a grand opposition alliance.
A close aide of the PTI chief, privy to the developments on this count, told this correspondent on Friday that Imran was approached by both PML-Q and PAT in London for taking part in an informal political moot. Imran, after returning home from London where he had gone to spend some time with his sons, consulted his senior colleagues and decided to stay away from the meeting.
He revealed that his close aides had advised him to distance himself from PAT which was neither part of the parliament nor did it believe in change through constitutional means. They further advised the PTI chairman to stay away from Chaudhrys of Gujrat as they didn’t possess a political weight at this stage with two seats in the Parliament.
They advised Imran that PTI should not join hands with any ‘tonga party’ whether it was Awami Muslim League of Sheikh Rasheed Ahmed or Muslim League of Chaudhrys of Gujrat, while Dr Qadri’s PAT had not become a real political entity as yet.
According to him, Imran’s inner circle members were of the view that PTI was the leading political party in the largest province of Punjab, which had made a comeback first time in Faisalabad by winning a bye-poll and second time in Hafizabad by grabbing another seat of the provincial assembly in a bye-poll on Thursday (May 29).
They advised Imran that he, instead of following the gimmicks of the parties possessing no political weight at national level, should politely dictate them his own terms, being a leading political force. Shah Mehmood Qureshi, PTI vice chairman, when contacted, said, “Imran Khan had no plan to take part in any political meeting in London. The party chairman was in London to spend some time with his sons.” About the possibilities of formation of a grand opposition alliance, he said, “I can’t comment clearly on the issue at this stage as we are struggling for electoral reforms. However, future major developments will make everything clear.”
He said, “We have met with the leadership of PPP, PML-Q and JI for the purpose of electoral reforms, which supported our struggle. We are contacting JUI-F, ANP and nationalist parties of Balochistan and Sindh for this purpose and we expect meetings with them in the near future.”
Commenting on the timeframe for getting results from PTI anti-rigging drive, Qureshi avoided a direct comment and said: “It’s not a construction project and we can’t give a timeframe, but we will continue our campaign for electoral reforms.”
When asked if PTI accepted the by-poll results under the Election Commission which they alleged facilitated rigging in the 2013 elections, the PTI vice chairman said, “We still stick to our demand of resignations of those ECP members who supervised the 2013 general elections. At the same time we also don’t recognise the PP-107 by-poll as an example of a fair play.”
He claimed the PTI Punjab leadership along with Hafizabad local leadership made good efforts to thwart the rigging plans of the government and won the Pindi Bhattian by-poll despite the rigging by the ruling party candidate under the umbrella of the Election Commission and the district administration.
Imran avoids meeting with PAT, PML-Q chiefs

Imran is avoiding IJI Version 2014, which is good for the system actually.

that is a good move....he shouldnt meet Qadri and PMLQ.....for whatever reasons!

Would have been political suicide if he had sat with them... good for current system

What you are saying is that Imran should sacrifice Pakistan's political system so he can be the Prime Minister.
i said its first good for him NOT TO JOIN THEM...because most of the PTIians would also not like it!

Derailing the current system will not benefit anyone...
yeah i also believe that we should let this Government complete it's turn....ppl will show their rejection to them themselves in next elections! that is why IK is not cooperating with Qadri and PMLQ ....although they are putting lotsa pressure on him...so give him some credit!

Last edited:
PAT is nothing more then a pressure group, with due respect to Dr Qadri. The kind of change he wants and the dreams of utopia that he associates with it are impossible in this world. A cocktail of religion and politics is always a bad idea in modern world.

PAT is nothing more then a pressure group, with due respect to Dr Qadri. The kind of change he wants and the dreams of utopia that he associates with it are impossible in this world. A cocktail of religion and politics is always a bad idea in modern world.

i tend to incline towards what he wants!.. hmm... just listen to the speech of Imran Khan and Tahir Ul Qadri on respective jalsas on 11th May... you will see the difference as to who has more homework in order to put the country on right track.. He has written a 600 pages fatwa against Taliban and terrorism ... he is progressive.. insofar religion is concerned, in pakistan it cannot be shunned just overnight... from PPP till PMLN till PTI... all say that they will make Pakistan a welfare state like Madina.. !!!

Pakistan decisions must be made in Pakistan not in London Jeddah Dubai or Washington. I commend Imran Khan for keep his distance.

i tend to incline towards what he wants!.. hmm... just listen to the speech of Imran Khan and Tahir Ul Qadri on respective jalsas on 11th May... you will see the difference as to who has more homework in order to put the country on right track.. He has written a 600 pages fatwa against Taliban and terrorism ... he is progressive.. insofar religion is concerned, in pakistan it cannot be shunned just overnight... from PPP till PMLN till PTI... all say that they will make Pakistan a welfare state like Madina.. !!!
Come on mate it's the 21st century you're living in, and btw PPP is a secular party no matter what they say. On topic at least some sense from Imran Khan, the guy had been making silly moves from some time now, better work on kpk than trying to derail the system.

I liked the cocktail part, agreed.

good for him first....his followers also wouldnt like it!
wUt!?

This is good for the time being but not in the longer run.....I mean IK can't stands the pressure like NS sustain and when shit hit the fan by TUQ NS actually revolt on 16th Jan 2013 by thunderously supporting democracy over TUQ Inqilab.

Nawaz Sharif Press Conference With Other Opposition Leaders - 16th Jan 2013

Can IK do that in favor of democracy, if this Sep/Oct TUQ+PMLQ+Shida Talli+Etc., create storm in the teacup against PMLN Govt.......Hell No.

For me.....he actually sneakingly at the moment creating "Another" sapce for himself to finally joins the ranks when a "suitable" time comes......:coffee:

This is good for the time being but not in the longer run.....I mean IK can't stands the pressure like NS sustain and when shit hit the fan by TUQ NS actually revolt on 16th Jan 2013 by thunderously supporting democracy over TUQ Inqilab.

Nawaz Sharif Press Conference With Other Opposition Leaders - 16th Jan 2013

Can IK do that in favor of democracy, if this Sep/Oct TUQ+PMLQ+Shida Talli+Etc., create storm in the teacup against PMLN Govt.......Hell No.

For me.....he actually sneakingly at the moment creating "Another" sapce for himself to finally joins the ranks when a "suitable" time comes......:coffee:

Mashallah Nawaz Sharif and resisting!!! He is the one who will cut a deal to run away from a situation. He has amply demonstrated this. His 'self promoted' exile is a living example.

Back
Top Bottom