What's new

Impressions from first visit to Dhaka after 5 years

Dhaka is still be kind of a mess now in 2022. It will probably take around the mid-2030s when all the large infrastructure projects are completed and most of the slums are cleared for it to look like a modern metropolis on the same level as cities like Jakarta are now.

@Indos : Are you able to advise on how the slum clearance is going on in Jakarta right now?

People cannot live in illegal land anymore here, in the past they use land near the river, but actually I have been living in Jakarta for quite long and never see that slum footage posted by foreign media from India, Singapore, Australia about Jakarta. There is Indonesian said in the comment section of CNA youtube channel that the footage comes from different region in Indonesia.

The high density region in Jakarta is in North Jakarta. Many are fishermen who live near the coast whose houses always been captured by foreign media if talking about "sinking " Jakarta.

North Jakarta. Actually they are not slum, but small houses. For some years I had worked in this area near Jakarta coast ( near Tanjung Priok port ). High density but not all houses are small either. I think we can only improve the area by improving Jakarta people living standard. It will take some time.

North Jakarta ( surprisingly this is also where Chinese Indonesian like to live, they like to live near the coast areas since it is good based on Fengshui )

Just compare with South Jakarta where I live ( more green )

East Jakarta is pretty decent as well but still quite dense

Many Jakarta young couple move to Jakarta satellite cities but working in Jakarta.

For example is BSD Serpong where my older brother also live in here. There is train route between Serpong and Jakarta and also high way ( toll road ).

For North Jakarta, Jakarta governor start making affordable apartment there, but this is not massive thing. I can say the only way to improve the living condition in Jakarta is through economy and also government intervention like increasing the minimum wage. It needs gradual process

After a few days, you start seeing some patterns of organisation in all of these — somehow it all works.

As I understood, Chinese restaurants here are belonging to locals who were here from before 1971.

Anybody under 50 from mainland China would've known mandarin.
There's a rhythm in that chaos. It is like listening to some extreme heavy metal music you don't understand at all, once you pay attention to it you start to get it !

Here's a rule about Dhaka traffic,
1) traffic lights are mear suggestions
2) you see empty space in front of you go for it !

Somehow no one hits anybody !

What do you take us for? India bhi Amrika ban gaya?

Here are instructions for passengers to avail an auto-rickshaw from Terminal 1 in Shivaji terminal in Bombay.

Let's open a separate thread if Indians want to discuss auto rickshaws in India.
India is not the global hub of Rickshaws because every slumdog owns a fleet of Tesla. Suppapowa!!:enjoy:
Supra powa 2012 vibes
India 2022?
A timeless classic

OK back to the quest of brother @Paul2 and Dhaka food places.

I love this Peyala place, a shameless sort of obsession for crave-treats that you can't get anywhere else, with a rotating menu everyday.

I mean where else can you get a Gulab Jamun Basque Cheescake with the Jamun baked INTO the cheesecake itself !!

143131996_1374367976235871_6180738866686739925_n.jpg

And back in the day I also did a story on this Farmhouse Burger place in the Urban Development thread (will revive that thread again, but if @The Eagle bhai makes it sticky, all the better.

No wonder, despite COVID Farmhouse has become THE go-to burger place in all of Dhaka. :-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom