What's new

Impressions from first visit to Dhaka after 5 years

When were you last in India? In India, we Indians no longer look for taxis outside but book them using the apps like Ola, Uber etc. Rickshaws? Not even Indians take those these days.

Look @Protest_again - lying openly has a limit and after a point it becomes comical.

What do you take us for? India bhi Amrika ban gaya?

Here are instructions for passengers to avail an auto-rickshaw from Terminal 1 in Shivaji terminal in Bombay.

Let's open a separate thread if Indians want to discuss auto rickshaws in India.

Last edited:
8. I am getting used to motorcycle taxis. Here they even accept credit cards through Uber. Tried to register patao, but they only accept Bangladeshi credit cards.

In China, a motorcycle taxi is your 50/50 chance to meet some maniac killer, or a gang who will rob you in a dark alley their man will drive you to.

8. I am getting used to motorcycle taxis. Here they even accept credit cards through Uber. Tried to register patao, but they only accept Bangladeshi credit cards.

In China, a motorcycle taxi is your 50/50 chance to meet some maniac killer, or a gang who will rob you in a dark alley their man will drive you to.

Motorcycle taxi is not a bad choice - criminal element has not yet entered the fray I believe.

Just don't look like a rich target, and you'll be fine. Criminals typically don't choose foreigners as kidnap/ransom targets, which immediately gets RAB involved.

Once RAB is involved, the chances of criminals dying in a "cross-fire" is almost certain.

Look @Protest_again - lying openly has a limit and after a point it becomes comical.

What do you take us for? India bhi Amrika ban gaya?

Here are instructions for passengers to avail an auto-rickshaw from Terminal 1 in Shivaji terminal in Bombay.

Let's open a separate thread if Indians want to discuss auto rickshaws in India.
You should ask @Protest_again to watch the video below and tell him we all know what is the level of Indian living standards.

More than a million of our people visit India on different purposes. So, we know.

IMG_20220120_223133.jpg

hongbao2.jpg

Super good. Made my weekend. Dim sum was, I would say, better than what you get in most pricey places in Guangzhou.

In Guangzhou, out of all places, it's surprisingly hard to get normal dim sum. Half of all places are outright crap, and another is super overpriced, and still mostly mediocre.

And... finally, after 3 years.... :cry::cry::cry:😭😭😭

Screenshot_2022-01-21-00-16-32-466_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

You should ask @Protest_again to watch the video below and tell him we all know what is the level of Indian living standards.

More than a million of our people visit India on different purposes. So, we know.

Its called Old Delhi for a reason, much of New Delhi has transitioned to Electric rickshaw.

Its called Old Delhi for a reason, much of New Delhi has transitioned to Electric rickshaw.
Only a marginal improvement from the old town. Nothing special about it. It is happening in all other countries of the region. But, your @Protest_again was claiming India has reached the pinnacle of development.

Last edited:
  1. Getting through Dhaka airport is still a survival experience
  2. Motorickshaws still try to trick foreigners into overpriced ride, or the fare really reached 1000BDT, and the country is doomed
  3. A walk in Gulshan 1 really unrecognisable
  4. Overall, the city is a total chaos, as it been before. A bit cleaner, and with few nice highrises now.
  5. It feels that there are even more people here.

Allow me to ask you a strange question.
I did a bit of travelling when I was younger, and I would within the first day get a feeling from that city, different cities gave me a different instant feeling during my stay, usually it was formed within the first 24hrs.

Either I could smell the money in the air, or it felt historic, or cultured, or there was energy in the air. I felt each city had that special element unique to itself, maybe it's just my thing. But, if you were to choose in ideally couple of words or a very short sentence, how would you describe you felt in Dhaka. Thanks.

90% of Rckshaws in Dhaka are also electric, not to mentioned EZ-bikes and many other means of transport using electric motors.

But you can't let these people use the roads. People who haven't passed any driver training should not be on the roads - period, safety hazard and they slow other vehicles down.

That day has come and gone.

Only a margin improvement from old to be. Nothing special about it. It is happening in all other countries of the region. But, your @Protest_again was claiming India has reached the pinnacle of development.
He’s blackpilled maybe :partay:
India 2022?
He isn’t wrong, we seriously don’t look for taxis outside, we just open Ola/Uber app and book a cab and then its just a pick and drop service. Which is something which happens anywhere else as well.

I did a bit of travelling when I was younger, and I would within the first day get a feeling from that city, different cities gave me a different instant feeling during my stay, usually it was formed within the first 24hrs.

Either I could smell the money in the air, or it felt historic, or cultured, or there was energy in the air. I felt each city had that special element unique to itself, maybe it's just my thing. But, if you were to choose in ideally couple of words or a very short sentence, how would you describe you felt in Dhaka. Thanks.
I get what you mean. The feeling I got from Dhaka was the feeling of massiveness, not even Karachi gave me that feeling, perhaps because it’s much less dense. Whenever you stand in the city, it feels like all 4 corners of it are reaching over and meeting there so you’re wrapped in every sort of person and thing at once, it’s quite surreal in its own right, sensory overload.
I wish I had been older when I was there to explore it more, I actually kinda liked the place, the more developed parts of the city give you a sort of dystopia feeling with all those high rises, the city just keeps going without you And you can never really shake the alien feeling of being in a foreign city which adds to all of it, I’m sure I wouldn’t feel half of this stuff if it was a Pakistani city.

I got markedly different vibes from Other Bangladeshi cities like sylhet and Chittagong, those places felt a lot more like smaller Pakistani cities.

One words: Chaos

Dhaka is not something one can comprehend

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom