What's new

IMPORTANT: Regulation of PERSEC in PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neptune

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Okay guys, this topic is actually very important to this site being a military forum. Firstly, you should know what PERSEC is.

What is PERSEC?

"A military acronym. Short for PERsonal SECurity. Used in conjuction with Operational Security (OPSEC) to protect the flow of information to undesirable or non-essential parties.

PERSEC'd info is often personal information about a person/soldier/civilian that, if leaked or passed on to the wrong party, could result in either harm, defamation, or potentially even death to said person. As such, the principles of both OPSEC and PERSEC are taught to pretty much every recruit early on in-training as basic counter-intelligence."

As you see PERSEC is a regulation that aims to protect the identities of service members. It is a an act of counter-intelligence.

In this site:

> At multimedia threads, faces of service members are not blured nor painted. It is important that we make sure those faces get blured unless the media is officially released for public use. But we've been seeing photos shared mostly from social networking sites where most of their stuff are unofficial, and at most of the times, the soldier does not even know that his photo is shared on forums.

> Photos capturing the SF/SOF Personnel are generally unblured as well.

As a former service member and others as well I think (@jhungary @Rashid Mahmood @gambit @asad71 ) believe the Board shall take necessary measures to enforce this very simple rule. It should be strictly prohibited to share unblured photos if the source is unofficial.

@Horus @WebMaster @Jungibaaz @Chak Bamu and other staff members.

faces of service members are not blured nor painted
This is something that I pointed to pdf fb page admins and also to an Indian army's fb page admin. The reply I got was that the pics were officially circulated by the armed forces ergo there's no harm unless one of the officers gives out his info and location himself on such social networking sites.

The pics are obviously in public domain unless and until some member is posting their personal collection.

Much ado about nothing.

Military/Defence force member knows about OPSEC, but general member don't, cant really expect people with no training to follow this as they don't know why was it important

maybe admin team can censor them, but if you trying to make it as a rule, I am afraid you will only get many people banned....

I have been asking for this for ages, please implement this. Sick and tired of seeing images of serving officers/Jawans with name slides and corps badges displayed with full face photo's.

Its 2015 i think no such need of 1900s of secrets
But we should be discreet on what we post and don't post. Public Domain material can be shared, personal pictures etc should be edited to have name slides, rank slides, coy/corps badges faded, if the person is a service serviceperson.

Neptune,

I am supportive of what you suggest. Not discounting it. My point is that half of the infractions are due to people wanting to show off and post what they should not.

I agree with the OP; there should be some common sense discretion used when posting the pics etc (my self included).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom