What's new

IITians develops mechanical bird capable of spying

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
KANPUR: An MTech student of Indian Institute of Technology-Kanpur has come up with an `ornithopter' (mechanical bird) made out of scrap that is not only capable of flapping its mechanical wings just like birds but can also be used for spying. The bird, if fitted with cameras, can take pictures of enemy terrains. A prototype of `ornithopter' bagged the Eagle competition held at Techkriti on Sunday.

The prototype of the mechanical bird, which is made of wood, polythene, bamboo and aluminium, consists of gears, DC motor, battery and toy helicopter parts. The `ornithopter' is in the shape of an eagle and is one metre long.

Joydeep Bhowmik, MTech first year student of IIT-Kanpur, who has made the mechanical bird, said that a smaller version of the mechanical bird can be used for spying purposes.

"Ornithopter is made out of gamai wood and cut into a bird shape. Glued together and tied with thread for reinforcement, an old xerox machine consisting of gears were isolated. Holes were drilled on the frame for accommodating the gear shafts. Empty refills were used as bearing bush. The gear box was covered by a aluminium sheet metal case. It is then painted with black acrylic paint."

Bhowmik said that the wing spar was made of bamboo and the wing membrane made of polythene bag. It was supported by plastic ribs cut out of transparent sheets (used for spiral bindings etc.) "These ribs give the profile of the wing during flapping. Struts made of bamboo were used to give the stiffness to the wing. The tail is also made of wood strips with a polythene cover. The mechanical bird is battery operated and governed by a remote control.

Bhowmik said that the mechanical bird uses its wings to fly.

"To see a mechanical bird flapping wings and flying is most satisfying for me. The flapping mechanism is a four-bar mechanism, which flaps the wings from 0 to 60 degrees," he said.

"Cameras can be used to capture pictures. There are cases of aircraft being hit by birds. An 'ornithopter' painted like an hawk or an eagle can keep birds away," he said.

The model of `ornithopter' is capable of sustaining in air for 15 minutes. He said that he is trying to increase the capacity of batteries so as to enhance its stay in the air for almost half-an-hour.

IITians develops mechanical bird capable of spying - The Times of India

So why Indian private industry don't come up with funding for such ideas? Seems they are busy with BPO contracts.

I hope some1 from IAF or DRDO will consider taking this idea further, just like they did with Netra(another IIT-ian's idea which received funding from DRDO).

Our private companies like TATA can hire this innovative guy and can help our defence industry...?
why they r silent???

Similar competition were there in IIT Bombay Tech Expo, but i am not sure if that task was achieved or not. I am not an expert on Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering but i have knowledge about Robotics. Its a good work because designing such a machine which could follow the same patterns as birds is very difficult. I hope DRDO moves ahead and support them.

Guys you need to watch this.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

A single-operator Mini UAV, meant for tactical reconnaissance objectives with a range of up to 25 km & endurance of 1 hour. A variant for operating the UAVs out of ships also exists.

20110220_UAV_Urban_View3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@ IndianArmy
Yeah that Kanpur guy made somewhat similar. Its a difficult task. Can you tell us more about the project of these IIT Madras guys??/

@ IndianArmy
Yeah that Kanpur guy made somewhat similar. Its a difficult task. Can you tell us more about the project of these IIT Madras guys??/

Well there is Shastra Conducted every year around June and July,and there are various Workshops ranging from Mechanical to da vinci machines, IITans Make such Stuffs then and There and Exhibit... Even DRDO and Other Defense Firm Participate

Well there is Shastra Conducted every year around June and July,and there are various Workshops ranging from Mechanical to da vinci machines, IITand Make such Stuffs then and There and Exhibit... Even DRDO and Other Defense Firm Participate
So they participated in this or last years Shastra ??/ Were they winners or what ???/ I went to participate in IIT Bombay Techfest 2009, it was the first time when this kind of event was organised. Although i don't know the result, whether anybody was even able to make it or not ?? Some of these competitions very tough with very less entries.

I heard DRDO is taking up some space in the Research Park in IIT Chennai (or it is opening a research park or just center, i am not sure)...

So they participated in this or last years Shastra ??/ Were they winners or what ???/ I went to participate in IIT Bombay Techfest 2009, it was the first time when this kind of event was organised. Although i don't know the result, whether anybody was even able to make it or not ?? Some of these competitions very tough with very less entries.

I heard DRDO is taking up some space in the Research Park in IIT Chennai (or it is opening a research park or just center, i am not sure)...

I have no Idea about there winners, Have never Personally Gone there in the recent past.... Yes The Program is Well Organized, despite having a "Theory Oriented Culture" In Universities we Get to experience Practicality in there motives and moves.... DRDO already has Research centers , But the DRDO is Going for a Research Complex where it can Encourage students to take up the Research tasks at very early stages and Motivate them to better professionals....

There is a High degree of Pride inside the campus which is well Utilized by R&D firms

Back
Top Bottom