What's new

IIT Professors Propose 1500 Per Cent Increase In Speed Of Submarine Communi

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Very Low Frequency [VLF]-based communication forms the current backbone for data transfer to Indian Navy's Submarine fleet from land.

Due to their very large wavelength, VLF waves have the unique ability to travel long distances, unhindered by obstacles like hills, with little distortion during propagation. Additionally, due to the properties of such waves, they are also able to penetrate up to a certain depth of water of oceans and seas, thus making them ideal message carriers to submarines, deployed far off from homeland. The Indian Navy's current sole VLF transmitting station, INS Kattabomman, is located in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

However, VLF waves have a very low rate of data transfer - 50-200 bps, that severely limits the amount & nature of information that can be passed on to the submarines. The two Professors from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi [IIT-D] have had their paper published in the January issue of DRDO's 'Defence Science Journal'. Titled, 'An Architecture for High Data Rate Very Low Frequency Communication', they have proposed a method that would be able to increase the speed up to 800 bps. This paper, being an all Electronics concept, was lost on me. If you have the relevant background, do go through it. Certainly sounds very interesting, more so if such a system can be productionised in a cost-effective manner.

While VLF waves can penetrate up to 40m of sea surface, submarines, therefore need to rise close to the surface to receive messages, making them vulnerable to detection by the enemy. Extremely Low Frequency [ELF] waves, on the other hand, can travel further into the depths of the oceans, thus making them ideal for a much safer deep sea submarine communication. It would become ideal for India to possess such system of communication once its nuclear-powered submarines being patrolling, carrying on-board, weapon-systems of strategic value. There were reports, a little earlier, suggesting the setting up of such a facility, which has been linked to the construction of the indigenously developed INS Arihant, and the subsequent submarines of its class. If true then, upon completion, India would become only the third such country in the world to possess such a system, after USA & Russia.

IIT-Delhi Professors Propose 1500 Per Cent Increase In Speed Of Submarine Communication - AA Me, IN

Here is the published Paper:

An Architecture for High Data Rate Very Low Frequency Communication | Kumar | Defence Science Journal

In case you are unaware ... Indian navy already has a VHF system for submarines.

Well good to see this.

@Skull and Bones Buddy, another good news in research. When you are starting that thread on Indian research ?

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you are unaware ... Indian navy already has a VHF system for submarines.

Correction. India already has a VLF commns. system for submarines. What is being proposed is a ELF sytem for greater range.
VHF is useless for submarine communication. It is purely Line Of Sight, Short Range (abt 30NM/70 KM) and does not penetrate/propogate below water.

Unlike the DRDO, I have faith if an IIT guy announces something like this :D

What a lame post... IITs has collaboration with many organisation, IIT is one of them. IIT Madras has collaboration with TATA Elexsi.

These organisation hire engineers from IITs as well...

What a lame post... IITs has collaboration with many organisation, IIT is one of them. IIT Madras has collaboration with TATA Elexsi. These organisation hire engineers from IITs as well...
IIT Professors and even students work with leading researchers from top universities of the world. Not to forget in advanced research centers, both public and private. :enjoy:

Correction. India already has a VLF commns. system for submarines. What is being proposed is a ELF sytem for greater range.
VHF is useless for submarine communication. It is purely Line Of Sight, Short Range (abt 30NM/70 KM) and does not penetrate/propogate below water.

That was a typo ...I meant VLF ....thank you for correcting that.

Very Low Frequency [VLF]-based communication forms the current backbone for data transfer to Indian Navy's Submarine fleet from land.

Due to their very large wavelength, VLF waves have the unique ability to travel long distances, unhindered by obstacles like hills, with little distortion during propagation. Additionally, due to the properties of such waves, they are also able to penetrate up to a certain depth of water of oceans and seas, thus making them ideal message carriers to submarines, deployed far off from homeland. The Indian Navy's current sole VLF transmitting station, INS Kattabomman, is located in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

However, VLF waves have a very low rate of data transfer - 50-200 bps, that severely limits the amount & nature of information that can be passed on to the submarines. The two Professors from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi [IIT-D] have had their paper published in the January issue of DRDO's 'Defence Science Journal'. Titled, 'An Architecture for High Data Rate Very Low Frequency Communication', they have proposed a method that would be able to increase the speed up to 800 bps. This paper, being an all Electronics concept, was lost on me. If you have the relevant background, do go through it. Certainly sounds very interesting, more so if such a system can be productionised in a cost-effective manner.

While VLF waves can penetrate up to 40m of sea surface, submarines, therefore need to rise close to the surface to receive messages, making them vulnerable to detection by the enemy. Extremely Low Frequency [ELF] waves, on the other hand, can travel further into the depths of the oceans, thus making them ideal for a much safer deep sea submarine communication. It would become ideal for India to possess such system of communication once its nuclear-powered submarines being patrolling, carrying on-board, weapon-systems of strategic value. There were reports, a little earlier, suggesting the setting up of such a facility, which has been linked to the construction of the indigenously developed INS Arihant, and the subsequent submarines of its class. If true then, upon completion, India would become only the third such country in the world to possess such a system, after USA & Russia.

IIT-Delhi Professors Propose 1500 Per Cent Increase In Speed Of Submarine Communication - AA Me, IN

Here is the published Paper:

An Architecture for High Data Rate Very Low Frequency Communication | Kumar | Defence Science Journal

This GMSK (Gaussian Minimum Shift Keying) is the same digital modulation technique used in GSM phone system.
However unlike GSM phones( which operate at 900MHz/1800MHz) data transfer speed is severely limited due to limited Bandwidth at VLF.

Guys, you can see/read complete paper in the first link i provided, but you can't DOWNLOAD it.

C'mon Engg. & Researchers get back to some work, i need the complete report of what the paper is about :D

Guys, you can see/read complete paper in the first link i provided, but you can't DOWNLOAD it.
C'mon Engg. & Researchers get back to some work, i need the complete report of what the paper is about :D
Ask any friend in IITs. But don't distribute it further, and don't upload here.

Back
Top Bottom