What's new

if the Haqqani network is termed a terrorist organisation, then...

chharoonahmad

New Recruit

Reaction score
Hi

One of the news story has that if the Haqqani network is termed a terrorist organisation, it would almost certainly see economic sanctions imposed on Islamabad. What does it have to do with economic sanctions on Islamabad? I mean if some organisation is engaged in some terrorist activities in the outskirts of the country, then why would punish the entire country, especially when that part of that world is already in a state of 'war'? What's your take? Please let me know. Thank you.

Its some stupidity newspapers started and now everyone's going ahead with it as fact. So many organizations from Pak have already been put on that list, what's one more? Unless someone is deliberately engineering this outcome.

I would welcome the US designation Haqqani Network a terrorist organization - instead the US has designated to two Noorzai alleged to be fund raisers (where do they raise these funds again?? Who said arabia??)

Once Haqqani have been designated "terrorists" the door to a negotiated settlement in Afghanistan will be closed, the US will withdraw a significant number of it's troops and all the while the Afghan opposition groups, of which the Haqqani network is a part, with full realization that the chance to negotiate is past, will then have to take up their issues with the US propped up government -- will that work for the US??

Lets all think more and feel less.

Question here raised that why Haqqani group is not forced to negotiate and bring into political system of Afghanistan? To understand their intend to fight "free Afghanistan from US/NATO" then why not this group isn't used for peace talk and bring stability?
How long they committed to fight? There should be end of all this mess so certain interests can be achieved important for Pakistan and this may result great influence in Afghanistan government to kick out NA and Farsiwans from main body. US look for stable government and Pakistan should offers them this solution then US may give positive signal to settle dialogues and mutual interests. If Haqqani could visit Washington for certain interests and come under sanctions for certain interests then they could come again in government over particular mutual interests.

Sanctioning Haqqani group is nothing but false move on chess board to force them back on table.

Why would it have economic sanctions on Islamabad as said in the OP?

When OBL being found in Abbottabad cannot bring any sanctions on Pakistan, I doubt Pakistan's alleged association with the Haqqani's network will.

When OBL being found in Abbottabad cannot bring any sanctions on Pakistan, I doubt Pakistan's alleged association with the Haqqani's network will.

May be not.. But it may not be very wise to keep waiting for the tipping point ... The proverbial last straw...

Sanctions are merely one more tool available to encourage diplomacy, and will be used, but only if and when needed.

Sanctions are merely one more tool available to encourage diplomacy, and will be used, but only if and when needed.

"Peace will not come through statements and resolutions at the United Nations — if it were that easy, it would have been accomplished by now."
Barak Hussain Obama at UN 2011

Hi

One of the news story has that if the Haqqani network is termed a terrorist organisation, it would almost certainly see economic sanctions imposed on Islamabad. What does it have to do with economic sanctions on Islamabad? I mean if some organisation is engaged in some terrorist activities in the outskirts of the country, then why would punish the entire country, especially when that part of that world is already in a state of 'war'? What's your take? Please let me know. Thank you.
we are living in a world where might is right. Since US has given them certificate of terrorists so they are terrorists, who dare to ask International policeman.

"Peace will not come through statements and resolutions at the United Nations — if it were that easy, it would have been accomplished by now."
Barak Hussain Obama at UN 2011

The issue is not peace. US policy has only one goal: to serve the national interest.

So are you implying that peace in the region is not in the US's national interest?

Sometimes the US national interests are better served by war than by peace. Sometimes peace is preferable, depending on the situation.

Back
Top Bottom