What's new

IDEAS 2018/New Fighter Induction

In a recent press conference, Information Minister Fawad Chauhdry hinted at mobile phones produced in Pakistan. Thankfully, the security apparatus is awakening to the threat posed by millions of foreign devices.
@CriticalThought
BTW on a completely unrelated note, are you into hobby electronics? Bash scripting and stuff?

I am into many hobbies. I keep churning through many interests. The exact nature of all of my interests remains my own concern. The internet is not a good medium for seeking friendship.
No I was just amazed by your relentless pursuit of FABs that's all. I thought you must be interested in micro computers and stuff.

I'm not into security as such so can't really comment. FABs are indeed good provided you've your own designs that you can mass produce. Besides being a new comer the new FAB would have to compete with the old guys in Singapore and TAIWAN. They have optimized their operations through decades of running. The main point being who will utilise Pakistani FABs when they can get the job done effectively in Singapore and China. In fact that is one of the reasons why our own(India's) 10-14nm FAB could never really take off. Kindly note, unlike Pakistan India does have designed various RISC micro processors and have been operating a 180nm FAB for sometime now, yet we couldn't setup a 10-14nm plant.
So in order to make Pakistani FAB even meaningful(let alone profitable), there should be enough R&D activities pertaining to design of ICs first. Once Pakistan has breached that threshold then they can go for a mid tier FAB something on the lines of 180nm process. But even that is realistically decades away. Don't take me wrong, itz just the financial reality.
Only kids will disagree that it is an expensive and hard to built industry ... What we meant here we do not possess any industrial base even on commercial basis ... All of our cumable elctronic items are imported ... So we need to establish a basic commercial industry with the end goal of making high end products may be in several decades time ... BUt there is always a need of first step which we have not taken yet ... We are still relying on imports and have no plans to substitute imports in tech industry ... And I am not talking about military imports but puerly commercial electronic items ... Both cosumeables and high tech ...

Once we develop a commercial industry only then it can be used in defence industry otherwise we can keep dreaming ...

Harsh but true

Back
Top Bottom