What's new

ICC's Team of the Tournament 2011

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Sachin, Zaheer, Yuvraj in ICC's Team of the Tournament

Their crucial contribution in guiding India to their first World Cup title in 28 years today fetched the trio of Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh and Zaheer Khan a place in the International Cricket Council's Team of the Tournament.

Kumar Sangakkara has been named the captain of this team of 12 that also features three Sri Lankans -- Mahela Jayawardene, Tillakaratne Dilshan and Muttiah Muralitharan.

Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who won the man of the final award, however, didn't make it as his performance with the bat wasn't upto the mark before the summit clash.

According to a media release by ICC, the team was chosen by a select group of experts who were given the task of picking a balanced side for sub-continental conditions on the basis of performances in the tournament. Statistics were used but were not the sole basis for selections.

Pakistan has only one representative in captain Shahid Afridi while South Africa's AB de Villiers and Dale Steyn also found a berth in the side.

Shane Watson was the only Australian representative while New Zealand pacer Tim Southee was named the 12th man. No England player featured in the team.

Some of the other names that were discussed included Ross Taylor and Jacob Oram of New Zealand, Jonathan Trott and Graeme Swann of England, Ireland’s Kevin O'Brien, Kemar Roach and Kieron Pollard of the West Indies, Imran Tahir of South Africa, Upal Tharanga and Lasith Malinga of Sri Lanka and the Netherlands’ Ryan ten Doeschate.

Team of the Tournament (in batting order): Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Zaheer Khan (all from India), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Kumar Sangakkara (WK and captain), Mahela Jayawardena,Muttiah Muralitharan (all from Sri Lanka), AB de Villiers, Dale Steyn (both South Africa), Shane Watson (Australia), Shahid Afridi (Pakistan), Dale Steyn (South Africa). 12th man: Tim Southee (New Zealand).

news.outlookindia.com | Sachin, Zaheer, Yuvraj in ICC's Team of the Tournament

Sachin Tendulkar,
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Shane Watson
Mahela Jayawardena
AB de Villiers
Kumar Sangakkara (WK and captain)
Yuvraj Singh,
Shahid Afridi
Zaheer Khan
Muttiah Muralitharan
Dale Steyn

12th man: Tim Southee (New Zealand)

don't agree with that team. i would make one change. would include dhoni as WK & captain. replace shane watson with Sangakara as one down. now.. that's the perfect team!!

seriously i don't know why they pick zaheer khan,know that he took 21 wickets but that is why b/c india has no more seemers,i think there are much better bowlers like albie morkel,umer gul,malinga,wahab,lee

seriously i don't know why they pick zaheer khan,know that he took 21 wickets but that is why b/c india has no more seemers,i think there are much better bowlers like albie morkel,umer gul,malinga,wahab,lee

Are you saying that India have only one seamer thats why batsmen were in race to give him the wickets.
Pathetic logic.

Are you saying that India have only one seamer thats why batsmen were in race to give him the wickets.
Pathetic logic.

I think he is a main bowler for india.
1 and only.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Sayeed Ajmal should be on their list.

B.S List.

Murali has not performed in this tournament.Simple.

Why Shahid Afridi ? Political correctness ?? Imran Tahir was a better candidate.

No Grame Swann....U gotta be kidding me !!

If Mahela's two centuries (one against Kenya/ Canada) can get him a place...why no MSD who performed when it mattered most ?

No Malinga ?? Seriously the best death bowler in the game is not there in the team ?

Who were the bird-heads who took the team ?

Pathetic logic.
of course india has only one seamer,sanjay manjekr also admit that we dont have seamers except zaheer khan he called it medium pacer and one of top class bowler i cant remember his name told that who bowls above thn 80miles pr hour are seamer:)

Murali's greatness apart, I would pick Malinga. Afridi and Yuvraj are the spinners in there already

Back
Top Bottom