What's new

ICC boss wants Pakistani stars in IPL

Laozi

Reaction score
Country
India
Cape Town - Speaking from Karachi, ICC president Zaheer Abbas has called for an end to the enforced absence of Pakistani players from the IPL, and the resumption of bilateral tours between India and Pakistan.

The IPL has grown to become a global phenomenon since its inception in 2008. The inaugural tournament saw players from all over the globe, including Pakistan, feature alongside India’s domestic elite, but after the November 2008 attacks in Mumbai, the BCCI imposed a ban on Pakistani stars featuring in the IPL.

Speaking to a media gathering in Karachi, Abbas has said that Pakistani stars should be included in the IPL, as it would “raise the importance and status of the league."

Pakistan launched their own T20 tournament, the Pakistan Super League, earlier this year, attracting a number of international stars, but the tournament is yet to rival the viewership or prestige of the IPL.

Abbas will attend the IPL Final as part of his duties as ICC president, and has also called for the resumption of bilateral tours between the India and Pakistan.

"I have accepted the invitation (to watch the IPL final) and it is a good opportunity for me to again highlight the importance of resuming bilateral cricket ties although they are obviously subject to government clearances," he said.

There is no denying that clashes between India and Pakistan will attract massive TV audiences, generating enormous interest in the game from all over the globe, but both sides have serious security concerns, and will need to get the go-ahead from their respective governments before any tour could go ahead.

The only bilateral tour between India and Pakistan since 2007 was Pakistan’s brief stop-over in 2012/13, when the two sides met for three ODIs and two T20Is.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/icc-boss-wants-pakistani-stars-in-ipl-20160525

‘Pak-India cricket relations vital for growth of game
LAHORE - International Cricket Council (ICC) president Zaheer Abbas Tuesday said that Pakistan-India cricket relations vital for growth of the sport.

In his telephonic conversation, Zaheer has congratulated the newly-elected Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Anurag Thakur and highlighted the need of relations between Pakistan and Indian cricket boards. “The cordial relations between the two boards are necessary for the growth of cricket in the region,” he added.

Sharing the details of his talk with BCCI chief, the ICC chief told the media here at National Hockey Stadium that Indian players should also be part of Pakistan Super League (PSL) in future. “Thakur has invited me to witness remaining IPL matches and if Iwent India, I will talk about Pakistan players’ participation in the IPL. The participation of Pakistan players will be beneficial for the Indian cricket event,” he added.

Zaheer said there was great following of Pak-India matches across the world but there were some issues that create hurdles in materializing these matches. “The bilateral matches between the two countries will be of great significance for the future relations of the two neighbours.” The ICC president also lamented the gradual slide of the Pakistan team and lack of proper replacements for senior players. The stylish batsman, who earned the sobriquet of ‘Asian Bradman’ for his run-scoring feats, said he was concerned that Pakistan cricket has stopped producing legends.

“For a country which has a rich cricketing history and legacy, it saddens me to see the state of affairs today. It is sad that a country which has produced so many legends now has to even think about playing in qualifying rounds of an ICC event,” he said. “It pains me to see that the national team is now not producing the quality performances of the past. Our players are just not producing the sort of performances we expect and saw in the past. In the past our youngsters had lot of idols and legends to look up to and emulate and today we look towards the Indian players,” he added.

The ICC President, who will step down on July 27 after one-year tenure, said there was no doubt that because no international teams were coming to Pakistan since 2009, cricket in the country had suffered a lot. “Our players are not getting the right opportunities and exposure. They are also not in the IPL. I feel sorry for the young players who can’t play international cricket or against touring sides at home,” Zaheer said.

He said the Pakistan cricket board was now doing its best to set things right but he didn’t see international teams returning to Pakistan for another year or two. “It will take time for international cricket to return to Pakistan and lot depends on what the situation isin the country in future. But I am optimistic that in this context the scenario is improving,” he said.

He said he had enjoyed his tenure as ICC president and learnt a lot. “I have done all I can to help the PCB convince other boards they need to support Pakistan cricket by sending their teams and things are looking up a bit.” About Pakistan tour to England, Zaheer, who scored a plethora of runs in England in his heydays, said: “Mental strength and attitude will matter a lot when Pakistan tour England this summer.”

http://nation.com.pk/sports/25-May-2016/pak-india-cricket-relations-vital-for-growth-of-game

I see no reason why IPL should exclude Pakistani players. If IPL likes to tout itself as a 'premier' and 'professional' cricket organization, it should allow all comers regardless of nationality.

I see no reason why IPL should exclude Pakistani players. If IPL likes to tout itself as a 'premier' and 'professional' cricket organization, it should allow all comers regardless of nationality.
The issue is more political rather then professional. The instances where IPL was being held over seas Pakistani Cricketers were members but as it shifted to India these players were sidelined.

Pakistani can be Coach of IPL team
Pakistani can be commentators in IPL
Pakistani can be analyst in IPL

But Players can't play in IPL
Really want to see them in IPL

Pakistani players should be allowed and a shorter champions league should also be reinstated

Sorry but that's not going to happen. First there are political reasons and second there aren't good enough players from Pakistan. Good luck to them in PSL though.

The issue is more political rather then professional. The instances where IPL was being held over seas Pakistani Cricketers were members but as it shifted to India these players were sidelined.

That is a shame...Hope things change for the better.

Sorry but that's not going to happen. First there are political reasons and second there aren't good enough players from Pakistan. Good luck to them in PSL though.

How many is too little? A handful of players will do.

But we have ahmed shehzad and Shahid afridi , Selfie and Boom Kaboom

Ranjeet ji , they have consistently produced the finest pace bowlers of the world

How many is too little? A handful of players will do.
Not worth it to spend sh!t load of Political capital on them.

But we have ahmed shehzad and Shahid afridi , Selfie and Boom Kaboom
Bhai kohli is in form don't want him to catch the selfi bug from Ahmed Shehzad.

Ranjeet ji , they have consistently produced the finest pace bowlers of the world
Politics has taken over everything in India right now, I don't think BJP will back down now.

Back
Top Bottom