What's new

IAF's fighter plane MiG-21 makes emergency landing at Srinagar airport

R!CK

Reaction score
Country
India
IAF's fighter plane MiG-21 makes emergency landing at Srinagar airport

The Indian Air Force's MiG-21 crash-lands at Srinagar Airport. The pilot has been safely evacuated but the runway was damaged..

A MiG-21 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force made an emergency landing at Srinagar airport on Tuesday after

The pilot was safe even as the aircraft tyres were damaged and flight services at the airport stopped.

mig21.jpg

An IAF official here explained that after an emergency landing, at times an aircraft needs to switch off on the runway as per SOP. It takes a little time to clear off the runway and normal flying activity will resume after some time.

PTI's sources said that fire tenders were rushed to the runaway to ensure that the aircraft did not catch fire. "The tyres of the jet were badly burnt due to the emergency landing but timely action saved the plane," they added.

Meanwhile, the civilian flights to and fro Srinagar Airport were briefly delayed in view of the jet making emergency landing.

Indian Air Force officials refused to comment on the incident while Public Relations Officer, Defence, said he would comment after collecting information from the authorities concerned.

Source: http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...rinagar-airport-all-flights-cancelled-2256999
With inputs from PTI.

Edit: Title and content edited due to hyped and wrong report by media.

Last edited:
There was no crash landing or ejection.
The MiG-21 carried out an emergency landing due to which it's tires were burnt but fortunately there was no other damage to aircraft.

“The fighter jet made an emergency landing at the airport after the pilot noticed a technical snag in the plane,” airport sources said. They said fire tenders were rushed to the runaway to ensure that the aircraft did not catch fire.
“The tyres of the jet were badly burnt due to the emergency landing but timely action saved the plane,” they added.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...ated-safely/story-MEwRZNW7GwtoTc8X9MdLKP.html

Mig 21 crash lands at Srinagar Airport. Pilot ejects safely from aircraft. Part of aircraft and runway damaged. All flight operations at the Srinagar airport came to a halt on Tuesday afternoon after a MiG 21 aircraft overshot the runway while landing, causing damage to it. The pilot of the aircraft evacuated unhurt. The Srinagar airport handles 560 flights a week and operations have been running smoothly over the week owing to Eid celebrations in the state. The airport is located at a distance of about 12 km from the city.

Source: http://idrw.org/mig-21-crash-lands-srinagar-airport-pilot-ejects-safely/

This plane is older than my grandfather.

When would these flying coffins be replaced?

Routine emergency where tires got burst at landing may be due to jamming of brake rotors or malfunction of anti skid system. There is no other reason for tire burst except for hard landing. Ridiculous reporting.

mashallah mashallah mashallah mashallah mashallah
thanx for searching for a year old news in an act of desperation
gud day

Please dont take it in a bad way. was just kidding. So please dont get offended.

Abt desperation, don't really care abt this forum and what people think. Since I'm here to get educated and spread knowledge, my intention was to point out that technical snags occur irrespective of age. I'm from aviation maintenance domain, I should know atleast that much?

You spent a min typing your comment, I spent a minute and a half to get the link and reply to you. About searching for a year old news, thanks to Google I didn't have to go through the state incident record library to find it. :-)

Good Day to you and Asalamualaikum!

Please dont take it in a bad way. was just kidding. So please dont get offended.

Abt desperation, don't really care abt this forum and what people think. Since I'm here to get educated and spread knowledge, my intention was to point out that technical snags occur irrespective of age. I'm from aviation maintenance domain, I should know atleast that much?

You spent a min typing your comment, I spent a minute and a half to get the link and reply to you. About searching for a year old news, thanks to Google I didn't have to go through the state incident record library to find it. :-)

Good Day to you and Asalamualaikum!
ni yar jigar ab tu tou dil py e ly gya yar
was just kidding as well
its called trolling and i learned it from this forum
nevertheless welcome to PDF
let me be the one to extend the hand of frandship:enjoy:
:tup:

The pilot had to eject so the aircraft must have crashed afterwards.

MIG-21 overshoots runway, pilot safe, operations at Srinagar airport halted for sometime, resumed

The flight operations at the Srinagar International Airport were stopped for some time after an army plane overshot its runaway while landing at Srinagar. The pilot of the MIG plane has ejected safely.

On Tuesday, a MIG-21 fighter jet of army overshot its runway at Srinagar forcing the Airport Authority of India (AII) to close down the airport for operations for some time. “The operations have been resumed now,” an official of the AII told The Indian Express. “This incident had happened in the army area”.

Sources say the pilot of the MIG-21 has ejected safely.

The Technical airport run by the Air force is adjacent to the Srinagar airport used for the passenger flights.

MIG-21 overshoots runway, pilot safe, operations at Srinagar airport halted for sometime, resumed

The flight operations at the Srinagar International Airport were stopped for some time after an army plane overshot its runaway while landing at Srinagar. The pilot of the MIG plane has ejected safely.

On Tuesday, a MIG-21 fighter jet of army overshot its runway at Srinagar forcing the Airport Authority of India (AII) to close down the airport for operations for some time. “The operations have been resumed now,” an official of the AII told The Indian Express. “This incident had happened in the army area”.

The Technical airport run by the Air force is adjacent to the Srinagar airport used for the passenger flights.

Indian Express has gone mad......When did army started operating Mig........ May be the hang over of uri......... Original article says, there was no fire, no ejection, only a tyre bust due to emergency landing....By the way good news considering that it was Mig 21....

There are conflicting reports.

Emergency landing doesn't require Pilot ejection.
But however Pilot ejection does point towards crash landing.

Will have to wait for official confirmation.

Good Day!

Good Day!

Good Day!
Ejection not necessary means it cash. It is usually SOP depending on the situation

@R!CK remember this?

F-16 Fighting Falcon News
UAE F-16 veers off runway at Sigonella

April 27, 2011 (by Asif Shamim) - A block 60 F-16 belonging to the UAEAF veered off the runway after landing at Sigonella Air Base on Wednesday at 11:35h local time. The pilot ejected safely.

The F-16 which was being transferred from Decimomannu, Sardinia was "involved in an incident upon landing" on the outbound runway at Sigonella Naval Air Station in Sicily, aNATO statement said.

The statement also added "The pilot ejected safely and his condition is currently being assessed,". It gave no other details.

The pilot landed the aircraft on the runway, but the jet was still moving too fast as it approached the threshold at the end of flight line when he decided to eject, official's said.

Both of Sigonella runways were closed as of Wednesday afternoon while they were inspected, but both were expected to be opened later in the day, according to NATO.

The UAE, which is not a member of NATO, deployed 12 fighter jets to Decimomannu including six F-16 Block 60s and six Mirages 2000-9s for the enforcement of a no-fly zone over Libya (Operation Unified Protector, formally known as Operation Odyssey Dawn) mandated by the United Nations Security Council.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16-news-article4330.html

Good Day!
In the first place it was making an emergency landing, during which it burst tyres and overshot the runway so obviously pilot would eject as the plane went out of control.

There was no ejection.Earlier reports were erroneous.Media assumed the initial report that pilot was evacuated meant he ejected.
As smoke came out of the burning tyres, the pilot was evacuated by the emergency team which soon responded to the scene.
Two fire engines were used to prevent any possible blaze.

Back
Top Bottom