What's new

IAF says 'No' to Army's bid to control attack helicopters

Don't you worry, this descion only relates to the Apaches-the LCH and ALH WSI are still on their way in large numbers!

@Abing, i don't understand why IAF is objecting for the Apaches but not for LCH or ALH??

& Why not MOD take a policy decision once & for all, IAF can't negate a policy decision by MOD.

@Abing, i don't understand why IAF is objecting for the Apaches but not for LCH or ALH??

& Why not MOD take a policy decision once & for all, IAF can't negate a policy decision by MOD.

God only knows- maybe because the IAF is reciving the LCH and ALH WSI too or because the Apaches are the meanest and latest tech? Who knows? I have never really understood this excess inter-service rivalry (in all militaries) fighting tooth and nail for assets when they are all on the same side working for the same goal.

God only knows- maybe because the IAF is reciving the LCH and ALH WSI too or because the Apaches are the meanest and latest tech? Who knows? I have never really understood this excess inter-service rivalry (in all militaries) fighting tooth and nail for assets when they are all on the same side working for the same goal.

If IAF wants to keep it's assets limited to itself till eternity, than this is the biggest joke of 21st century, this is the era of "proliferation" :D , where no force has it's assets limited to itself, i mean if we just look at the ranking of forces according to the no. of fighters it has, than USAF is undoubtedly the Numero Uno, but which is the world's second largest AF??? - The USN :woot:, even than USAF has no problem whatsoever with it, that is the reason the US is the sole superpower in this world. So, our armed forces should become more open minded & should know that our goal is finally one & not different.

Ḥashshāshīn;3473768 said:
Doesn't the army control the air force and navy in the first place?

This Happens only in Pakistan. Where Army control every thing. From the courts to the parliament.

But I think IA is right here. IAF is just making it PRIDE issue

I think IA should got these helicopters, can't image: one soilder find one enemies' tank, then he call for helicopter attacking, he should report to the higher, then IA apply for IAF, and Air Force Commander "you must ensure the safety of helicopter, then I will let them go...", one day past, soilder died 24 hours ago.......

I think IA should got these helicopters, can't image: one soilder find one enemies' tank, then he call for helicopter attacking, he should report to the higher, then IA apply for IAF, and Air Force Commander "you must ensure the safety of helicopter, then I will let them go...", one day past, soilder died 24 hours ago.......

In both cases he have to call for air support, the difference will only be that IAs helicopter might be placed closer to the troops / or borderlines, while IAF bases can be further behind.

That's not how it would go. Stupidly it would be the IAF who would fly,own and maintain the Apaches but they come under the IA's operational control. Lunacy, sheer LUNACY!!!

The Army has been demanding the control over attack and medium-lift helicopters saying they are mainly used for its operations and that is why they should be under it. The IAF, which operates two squadrons of Russian-origin Mi-35/25 attack choppers, has been opposing the demand.The Army has been demanding the control over attack and medium-lift helicopters saying they are mainly used for its operations and that is why they should be under it. The IAF, which operates two squadrons of Russian-origin Mi-35/25 attack choppers, has been opposing the demand.

Totally agree with this.

Army should not get fixed wing but helos are genuinely used for troop and supply transports mainly. Then why does IAF maintain command over choppers? It doesn't make sense.

Utter Bullsh.it

Army firm on attack choppers demand

Days after the Air Force escalated its tussle with the Army on the control of attack choppers with Air Chief N A K Browne saying that the nation cannot afford “little air forces”, the Army headquarters has conveyed its position that it is firm on the demand that combat helicopters need to be an integral part of its strike formations.

Sources said that the position of the Army has been conveyed by Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh himself.

On Tuesday, Defence Minister A K Antony also put his weight behind the Army on the issue by confirming that its demand to hand over combat choppers has “not been rejected”. “There is no tussle. We are in the final stages of finding a solution, an amicable solution,” Antony said. He responded to a query on whether a decision had been taken on the Army’s demand by saying “this has not been rejected”.

It is learnt that a decision on the control of attack helicopters will soon be taken by the MoD that is veering towards the opinion that the aerial combat elements need to be a part of the Army, as it the norm the world over.

At present, the two squadrons of attack helicopters that India has are operated by the IAF but are under the operational command of the Army that uses them in cohesion with strike forces.

Army firm on attack choppers demand | idrw.org

NSA Asked To Intervene In Army-IAF Chopper Fight

The Defence ministry has asked the National Security Adviser to intervene and suggest a way out of the tussle between the IAF and the Army over control of attack and medium-lift choppers.

The Army has been demanding control over attack and medium-lift helicopters saying they are mainly used for its operations and that is why they should be under it. The IAF has been strongly opposing the demand.

The Defence Ministry is seeking advice of the NSA on the issue as to who should control the attack and medium-lift helicopters in the country, Army sources said here.

The Army is hopeful that the issue would be decided keeping in mind its operational necessities and requirements, they said.

Justifying its demands, Army sources said requirement for induction of tactical and attack choppers into the force is an "inescapable operational necessity" as infrastructure along the borders with China is "far from satisfactory" and such assets would be required to cut down on the time for movement.

The tussle between the two Services over the issue had come out in open when IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne said the country cannot afford to have these "little air forces" doing their own things.

Defence Minister A K Antony had played down the tussle, saying it was a "family problem" and the Government was in the final stages of resolving the matter.

Commenting on the proposal, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh had said the Defence Ministry holds a very "sympathetic view" about the demand raised by the Army for having its own attack helicopters.

As per its plans, the Army wants to raise attack chopper squadrons as part of its strike corps and then raise them at every corps level.

NSA Asked To Intervene In Army-IAF Chopper Fight

Back
Top Bottom