What's new

IAF retiring MiG-23MF this Week

Adux

Reaction score
Mig-23 MF to fly to its tail end on Tuesday
Sunday March 18 2007 01:53 IST
AHMEDABAD: Come Tuesday and 224 Squadron of the Indian Air Force will give up its 24-year-old fighter plane Mig-23 MF, which has covered 32,581 flying hours. Four of the remaining five Mig-23 MF fighters will take to the skies one last time on the coming Tuesday at frontline Air Force Station, Jamnagar under South Western Air Command.

Mig-23 MF, also known as Raksha, will fly for the last time on Tuesday bringing to an end the operations of 224 Squadrons, also known as Warlords, who will then end their operations temporarily and begin when re-equipped with new aircrafts and assigned a new operational role.

224 Squadron was raised on July 4, 1983 at AFS Adampur in Punjab. The Warlords moved from Adampur to Halwara in Punjab in 1996 and then to Jamnagar in September 1997.

The Mig-23 MF is one of the first IAF fighters to be equipped with R-23 R and R-23 T, Beyond Visual Range (BVR), Air-to-Air missiles that carry 96 rockets, and 1.5 tonnes of bombs of 100, 250 or 500 kg calibres and can attain a speed of approximately 2500 kmph.

Mig-23 MF is a swing-wing interceptor capable of delivering an array of missiles bombs and guided weapons. It also trains IAF pilots in air-to-air fighting skills. Warlords have participated in several operations including ‘Operation Meghdoot’ in the air defence of Siachin glacier in 1985-86.

The Squadron has also operated from Leh, the highest airfield in India, and is also the first to operate from Ladakh. They were also adjudged the ‘‘Best Overall Fighter Squadron’’.
http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEH20070317153207&Page=H&Title=Top+Stories&Topic=0&

aaahhh, what a plane, another one reaching to its end!!!

I luv all these cold war jets man................

They r unreplaceable, if u luv them.

IAF aint that fond of MiG-23, But they are crazy for MiG-27

MiG-23 were only for air defence and it was India's first Aircraft with BVR missile Vympel R-23 (35km), funny thing is that IAF is retiring its first BVR capable aircraft from its inventory while PAF is just inducting them

MiG-23 were only for air defence and it was India's first Aircraft with BVR missile Vympel R-23 (35km), funny thing is that IAF is retiring its first BVR capable aircraft from its inventory while PAF is just inducting them

Its not funny, its the reality:rolleyes:

But still we were good enough;)

AsSalam o Alaikum.
I have a question for any enthusiast of aviation. Why did the chinese never go for Mig23 or 27, but relied mainly on 19s and 21 copies. i cannot find a satisfactory answer.
Thanks in advance
WaSalam
Araz

AsSalam o Alaikum.
I have a question for any enthusiast of aviation. Why did the chinese never go for Mig23 or 27, but relied mainly on 19s and 21 copies. i cannot find a satisfactory answer.
Thanks in advance
WaSalam
Araz

Several reasons.....

Some political --the Sino/Soviet relationship cooled around the time of the Mig23 coming out.

Requirement -- They developed the J-8 II which funnily enough looks a lot like a Mig 23.

Money -- China was not spending as much on defence as previously and also their doctrine was a lot different so they saved money by using lots of home built aircraft. this has changed as China is bringing it's miliatry up to higher standards.

The Mig-23 was never that good a plane and so the PLAAF skipped a generation when developing aircraft. Hence their Third generation is counted as being 4th gen compared to western aircraft.

Keyser,

I wouldnt call any Chinese aircarft 4th Generation,lol

Keyser,

The j-12 and and 13 are the ones I am refering to as being true 4th gen.I was merely explaining the difference between Chinese and western classifications of generations.

Several reasons.....

Some political --the Sino/Soviet relationship cooled around the time of the Mig23 coming out.

Requirement -- They developed the J-8 II which funnily enough looks a lot like a Mig 23.

Money -- China was not spending as much on defence as previously and also their doctrine was a lot different so they saved money by using lots of home built aircraft. this has changed as China is bringing it's miliatry up to higher standards.

The Mig-23 was never that good a plane and so the PLAAF skipped a generation when developing aircraft. Hence their Third generation is counted as being 4th gen compared to western aircraft.

Keyser.
Sorry for the one liner but thanks a lot for your illuminating post.
Araz

Keyser,

Adux,
While I cannot change your thoughts,most of the western world is worried about the chinese developments and rate the J10 as an advanced 4th generation(by some accounts4.3 Generation in its present form)plane. With more maturity, it will give the best planes in the world a run for their money. Please dont withold recognition where it is due, it only serves to show ones own insecurity. Please dont take it as a personal remark, but feel free to respond with a valid counter argument.
regards
Araz

AsSalam o Alaikum.
Thanks in advance
WaSalam
Araz

In addition to what Keyser already posted the Chinese indeed looked into the Mig-23 and developped the J-8 II which uses the Mig-23 fuselage and tail but used a conventional wing instead the viariable geomatry wings used on Mig-23 and later on Mig-27.

J-8 II was developped for heavy ground attack and bomber role, it has a huge payload compared to other chinese fighters.

The j-12 and and 13 are the ones I am refering to as being true 4th gen.I was merely explaining the difference between Chinese and western classifications of generations.

Tell that when they actually have that, at that time most of the leaders of today will be entering 6th Generatoins. Nobody has any idea what J-12 and J-13 is, Just like the Indian MCA, PAK-FA(5th Gen) and US Aurora(6ht Gen)

Back
Top Bottom