What's new

IAF kicks off contest to make single-engine fighters in India

Gripen E or F-16block 70 will be bought... there's no other option......though we can't write off F-18SH even of they are not single engine....Boeing is aggressively negotiating with India for that.

Discounting F35, there are only two potent single engine aircrafts: F16 and Gripen.

If India can get F35 that is great, if not F16 will be better choice because India can buy US influence too. Gripen has no geo political advantage.

basically india is gonna buy the gripen. the Russian's dont have a single engined fighter and your neighbour knows the f16 inside out.

@A.P. Richelieu kill/stun birds with one stone?

the rafale and the tejas will take a hit.

on the plus side they can use the gef414 engines for the amca too when the fgfa order is slashed.
dont forget 20% of the parts are from murica
oh and dont forget us too we [bae systems] have a stake and in the gripen too.

87625-saab-ja39-gripen.jpg

After seeing the picture, I would say no gripen.

Discounting F35, there are only two potent single engine aircrafts: F16 and Gripen.

If India can get F35 that is great, if not F16 will be better choice because India can buy US influence too. Gripen has no geo political advantage.

Very good point. The contrarian view would be that the swedes being aware of this very important factor might be more open than anyone else to share technology. Not for nothing are they still in the mix.

After seeing the picture, I would say no gripen.

India does not need to buy US influence. The US needs to buy Indian support. This is the best time to buy Gripens for a single-engine light fighter, and A-18s or Rafale-Ms for our standard carrier-borne aircraft.

Very good point. The contrarian view would be that the swedes being aware of this very important factor might be more open than anyone else to share technology. Not for nothing are they still in the mix.

But the point is do they control all the technologies that goes into Gripen?. A previous poster has posted the picture of the Gripen along with where the origins of technologies.

But the point is do they control all the technologies that goes into Gripen?. A previous poster has posted the picture of the Gripen along with where the origins of technologies.

So then isn't this the right time to get a grip on those technologies? With Uncle Sam in such an expansive mood?

India does not need to buy US influence. The US needs to buy Indian support. This is the best time to buy Gripens for a single-engine light fighter, and A-18s or Rafale-Ms for our standard carrier-borne aircraft.

To certain extent you are right, but buying from US certainly will further increase our influence in US establishments both civilian and military. But buying from Sweden has no advantages at all.

So then isn't this the right time to get a grip on those technologies? With Uncle Sam in such an expansive mood?

Yes, we need to get grip on those technologies when US is in expansive mood. Hence I feel even more now that F16 makes more sense than Gripen.

To certain extent you are right, but buying from US certainly will further increase our influence in US establishments both civilian and military. But buying from Sweden has no advantages at all.

Yes, we need to get grip on those technologies when US is in expansive mood. Hence I feel even more now that F16 makes more sense than Gripen.

We have already got the amount of influence that we want in the US establishment.Beyond a point, it is unnecessary. Further, the US will never part with core technology; the Swedes might.

We have already got the amount of influence that we want in the US establishment.Beyond a point, it is unnecessary. Further, the US will never part with core technology; the Swedes might.

Unless the price difference between the Gripen & the F-16's on offer is enormous, I see no real reason to select the F 16. The F-18's may be another matter but that's a different acquisition. It's taken us about a decade & a half but we seem to have finally got the idea that you simply can't lump single & dual engined aircrafts in the same competition & not expect to blow through your finances.

1) Gripens allow to share the Meteors along with RAFALEs while F-16s cannot.

2) Gripens would bring manufacturing and AESA tech to India as part of its JV while F-16s would bring assembly line to India

3) India procuring Gripens would prevent Pakistan from doing so while India procuring F-16s would serve as a death knell for the F-16s in Pakistan.

4) Gripens would be procured as part of MII while F-16s as part of DTTI

Any single engine fighter induction will kill LCA

It should. Quickly. I am sorry I was upset at Oscar's rather unpalatable analysis; it was honest. Brutally honest, but we need to concentrate on the adjective, not the adverb.

Back
Top Bottom