What's new

I was Raped in China (An American's Perspective)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayAtl

BANNED
Reaction score
YET ANOTHER STUDENT , POSTED ON YAHOO , 30 days ago!

I was Raped in China (An American's Perspective)
Surviving in a Culture that Considers Rape a Women's Fault

When I first arrived in China as a study abroad student in the summer of 2008, everything was perfect: the people were welcoming, the food was delicious, and the culture was rich and vibrant. I spent my time learning Mandarin characters, holding discussions with local students, and enjoying the beaches of Qingdao. Quickly, I also found that the night life was dynamic. By the time the halfway point of summer rolled around, my classmates and I were attending Karaoke followed by a nightclub every weekend. We always tried to congregate as a group at the beginning of the night, but a few too many drinks would leave us alone in a sea of Chinese men. The night that will forever be etched in my memory began innocently, but then turned violent. A Chinese man offered to buy me drinks and then, without warning, drug me to the alley behind the nightclub (Chinese nightclubs are always extremely crowded, so I believe that either no one noticed or no one wanted to notice). His apartment was conveniently located behind the bar, so I didn't have much time to break free before he laid me on the bed and raped me. After the event, I was only able to escape because he forgot to lock me in when he went to use the bathroom. This incident left me lonely and depressed for many years, but it also left me empowered to spread the message as to what it's like to be sexually assaulted as a woman in a foreign country.

The Woman Bears the Responsibility

Traditional Chinese culture holds that the woman bears the responsibility for the act of rape. Linda Wong, Executive Director of the Association Concerning Sexual Violence Against Women in Hong Kong, said, "A woman may be viewed that she should be responsible for being raped because she aspired to date or go to a man's premises; or that she took the risk of being raped as she went out alone late at night or drank alcohol; or that she enticed others to rape her with her behavior or dressing." Drinking alcohol is where I went wrong. The nurse at the hospital told me the rape was my fault because I was a "sexually-free Western woman." Additionally, any woman who drinks is just asking to be raped because they are lowering their inhibitions. Sadly, many Americans hold this viewpoint as well. The nurses didn't offer me a "rape kit" or any support because I put myself in this position. I was only offered my instructor as a translator. One person even told me that I would be the one prosecuted for a crime if I made the crime known to public officials.

Taboo in China

The whole experience made me aware of the challenges that a Chinese woman must face if raped. After insisting that I go to a hospital to be checked for STDs, the doctor led me to the Dermatology Department. Later, I found out that the hospital had no "official" Gynecology department because health problems in that area of the body were not considered "proper." A story I heard later struck me. Rape is considered so taboo in Chinese culture that rape victims' were shunned and not even allowed to wash their clothes with other members of the family.

No One to Turn To

After being a victim of sexual abuse, you are bound to have a rollercoaster of emotions. In the United States, we have rape crisis centers and counselors. In China, there is simply nowhere to go. Beijing, with more than 20 million people, has only one sexual assault hot line that supposedly operates four nights a week. This center is fighting for its' life with governmental pressure to close. I was offered no assistance or help finding assistance by the hospital. Furthermore, the people who were hired to support me (the nurses and doctors) tried to convince me the whole situation was my fault. Needless to say, I was in a rocky place when I finally set foot on American territory.

Because Chinese culture views the rape perpetrator as the victim, I was given little support after a major trauma. Understandably, I isolated and further dug my teeth into the party culture. The reality is, however, that I was the victim. And so are the millions of women and men who are sexually assaulted in traditionalist cultures every day. We may not be able to change the culture, but we can encourage others to provide better safeguards to their loved ones when traveling abroad. We can also do our part to support policies that have equality entrenched in them at home and abroad. Small steps matter to the victim who feels lost and alone.

http://voices.**********/i-was-raped-china-americans-perspective-12231018.html **** = Y A H O O .com

I think the URL is broken.. Here is the correct one

voices.yahoo.c om/i-was-raped-china-americans-perspective-12231018.html?cat=72

A Chinese man offered to buy me drinks and then, without warning, drug me to the alley behind the nightclub (Chinese nightclubs are always extremely crowded, so I believe that either no one noticed or no one wanted to notice).

I found this comment right under the blog; very conveninet for JayAtl's trolling:

So, let me get this straight. You went out to a nightclub with a group of friends. A complete stranger offered to buy you drinks and you accepted. You drank too much. He 'drug you' through an entire crowd of people without you being able to call for help or receive help from anyone. He somehow drug you clear to his house and gently laid you on the bed.

Why didn't you defend yourself? Why didn't you call out for help when he was dragging you through an entire crowd of people? Why didn't you do anything?

I found this comment right under the blog; very conveninet for JayAtl's trolling:

So, let me get this straight. You went out to a nightclub with a group of friends. A complete stranger offered to buy you drinks and you accepted. You drank too much. He 'drug you' through an entire crowd of people without you being able to call for help or receive help from anyone. He somehow drug you clear to his house and gently laid you on the bed.

Why didn't you defend yourself? Why didn't you call out for help when he was dragging you through an entire crowd of people? Why didn't you do anything?

a comment posted by a Clem Hurliman on 7/26/2013 is attributed to me? :cheesy: .

man - you sure are desperate to distract. I guess the subtitle "Surviving in a Culture that Considers Rape a Women's Fault" holds true

@Aeronaut @WebMaster

He should be perma-banned. He opened up yet another one only seconds after you closed down his first.

Yes , the right to post daily rape threads over and over again are just for you guys...should I post one back...

They should ban your racist and bigoted self !

a comment posted by a Clem Hurliman on 7/26/2013 is attributed to me? :cheesy: .

man - you sure are desperate to distract. I guess the subtitle "Surviving in a Culture that Considers Rape a Women's Fault" holds true

It's attributed to you because it's quite clear that this story has a lot of holes. There isn't a rape culture in East Asia like with your people; there is no culture that "considers rape a women's fault" either (again like with your people); more BS from this BLOGGER (What? Are you too stupid to come up with an actual news article? Why all of the obscure and grammatically illiterate bloggers?)

You are going bye-bye soon enough for your trolling anyway. Indians have a culture of rape; East Asians do not. This is a fact of life that everyone knows, including YOU.

It's attributed to you because it's quite clear that this story has a lot of holes. There isn't a rape culture in East Asia like with your people; there is no culture that "considers rape a women's fault" either (again like with your people); more BS from this BLOGGER (What? Are you too stupid to come up with an actual news article? Why all of the obscure and grammatically illiterate bloggers?)

You are going bye-bye soon enough for your trolling anyway. Indians have a culture of rape; East Asians do not. This is a fact of life that everyone knows, including YOU.

Yes in China there just can't be rapes and no such culture BUT WAIT:

Linda Wong, Executive Director of the Association Concerning Sexual Violence Against Women in Hong Kong, said, "A woman may be viewed that she should be responsible for being raped because she aspired to date or go to a man's premises; or that she took the risk of being raped as she went out alone late at night or drank alcohol; or that she enticed others to rape her with her behavior or dressing." Drinking alcohol is where I went wrong. The nurse at the hospital told me the rape was my fault because I was a "sexually-free Western woman." Additionally, any woman who drinks is just asking to be raped because they are lowering their inhibitions.

Yes , the right to post daily rape threads over and over again are just for you guys...should I post one back...

They should ban your racist and bigoted self !

Yes, they should only be reserved for us. Too bad, we don't like Indians... :omghaha:

On a more serious note, Indians actually do have a rape, gang-rape, dog marriage, and sexual harassment epidemic. The articles being posted are taken from such sites as the BBC, CNN, and India Times!! LOL

You come up with some strange bloggers, who can't even finish a sentence without making a simple grammatical error.

Yes in China there just can't be rapes and no such culture

Of course of course... that's exactly what I said...

Face it JayAtl... you could plague this site with all of the rape cases that China has ever committed, and they wouldn't even compare to what India has done in the last week.

All of us should stop posting this kind of threads!! Please maintain sanity in forum.

@Aeronaut @WebMaster why dont you guys ban this loser already :cuckoo:

Because the mods are corrupt. They love trolls because trolls bring more traffic to PDF. That's why PDF is treated like a joke compared to other respected forums where the moderators are strict with trolls.

If more Chinese members were mods here, this forum would be cleaned up pretty quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom