What's new

´I´m very afraid´: Muslim shock as Trump wins

upload_2016-11-14_21-52-38.png

CBS News under fire for holding clip of Trump telling supporters not to attack minorities
BY JOE CONCHA - 11/14/16 08:24 AM EST

CBS News is under fire for holding a videotaped clip from a Friday interview with President-elect Donald Trump urging supporters not to attack minorities until a "60 Minutes" broadcast on Sunday night.

"I am very surprised to hear that. I hate to hear it," Trump told interviewer Lesley Stahl when told of some attacks on minorities that have reportedly occurred since his election victory Tuesday.

"I am so sorry to hear it, and I say stop it," Trump said before looking directly into the camera. "And I say right to the camera, stop it.”

"60 Minutes" did release quotes from the Friday interview in advance, but only a statement by Trump on the Affordable Care Act.

"We chose to release a quote on the issue that affects the most Americans & that was his statement on Obamacare," a spokesperson for CBS told CNN Monday.

Kai Ryssdal, host of “Marketplace,” called that reasoning “completely underwhelming.”

Protests have grown in the wake of Trump's victory in major cities across the country.

Not all protests have been peaceful. A protester was shot in Portland last Thursday and hospitalized. Hundreds of arrests have been made, property has been damaged and traffic has snarled due to roads being blocked by protesters chanting "Impeach Trump" and "Not my president."

In the "60 Minutes" interview, Trump also had a message for protesters and those feeling anxious and fearful following his surprising election.

"I would tell them, 'Don't be afraid,' absolutely," Trump said. "We are going to bring our country back, but certainly, don't be afraid."

The Hill has reached out to CBS News for comment.

"I am so sorry to hear it, and I say stop it," Trump said before looking directly into the camera. "And I say right to the camera, stop it.”
I should add that I think it's very unusual for U.S. TV media to suppress any statement by a prominent politician relating to calming angry mobs. So Trump had a reasonable expectation that this statement would be broadcast within minutes or hours, not days.

Back
Top Bottom