What's new

I-Day gift: Indian docs save life of Pakistani student

Contrarian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
I-Day gift: Indian docs save life of Pakistani student -India-The Times of India

NEW DELHI: At a time when tensions have flared up again between India and Pakistan, doctors in Delhi have saved the life of a young Pakistani engineering student by conducting a rare cardiac surgery.

A team of 11 doctors and staff at the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital has repaired 20-year-old Tayyab Niaz's mitral valve (that controls the blood flow between the upper and lower chamber of the heart) to save his life.

Doctors said the surgery was "rare, tedious and needs more patience".

"Tayyab Niaz underwent heart treatment in Pakistan two years back but the mitral valve was ruptured during the medical procedure. Pakistani doctors referred him here and we successfully repaired the damage. Now he is fine and ready to go home," said Sujay Shad, the lead surgeon who carried out the surgery.

"We carried out detailed tests and conducted an open heart surgery over a period of 90 minutes Aug 1. He was in a difficult condition and without this treatment he may have died in the near future. This is an Independence Day gift," Shad said.

Niaz, a mechanical engineering student in Multan, had developed a faster than normal heartbeat and underwent a procedure named radio frequency ablation at the Punjab Institute of Cardiology, Karachi, two years ago.

A catheter (small tube) had got stuck inside the heart during the radio frequency ablation and at the time of extraction of this catheter his mitral valve got severely damaged.

"Due to this damage, his heart started growing big, which means more weakness and less life span," Shad explained.

He said Niaz had two options - either to get operated in Pakistan where surgeons would have changed his mitral valve or come to India and get the valve repaired.

A change in valve would have meant lifelong medication, more expenditure and staying away from games like cricket and football. Shad said as Niaz was a cricket enthusiast he could not have afforded a replacement.

B.K. Rao, a veteran doctor and chairman of the hospital, said: "Heart valve repair is a more complex operation; it takes more time and more effort. However, the results of a successful valve repair are gratifying."

Shad, who had been working in Britain till 2005, said a successful repair of the valve needs only a month's medication. The treatment cost Niaz, the son of a businessman, a little over Rs.180,000.

"He underwent a check-up Aug 14 and everything is progressing fine. We have advised him three weeks' rest and four weeks' medication. After that he can lead a normal life like you and me," he said.

Terming it as an Independence Day gift, Shad said: "Though Pakistan President Pervez Musharaff is speaking against India, we don't see any difference between Indians and Pakistanis."

"All people need love, affection and proper medical treatment. I don't think the common man in Pakistan has any problem with India."

Niaz, the son of a businessman, said though he has some pain in his chest even now, he is feeling much better. The doctors, staff and the people of Delhi are very nice, he said.

"I am taking back goodwill from India. Common people never hate Indians. I think it's the politicians who create the problem."

A lot of Pakistani's come to India for treatment. Thats always good. People to People contacts must be encouraged,takes away a lot of hostilities :)

A lot of Pakistani's come to India for treatment. Thats always good. People to People contacts must be encouraged,takes away a lot of hostilities :)

:cheers:yes last year i think small child from pakistan was operated in narayana hridayalaya banglore

^^^Yes hope may come true if humanity gets priority over nationalty&relegion

:cheers:yes last year i think small child from pakistan was operated in narayana hridayalaya banglore

Yes quite a few children from Pakistan were also operated in Delhi at AIIMS as well as Sir Gangaram hospital.

Yes quite a few children from Pakistan were also operated in Delhi at AIIMS as well as Sir Gangaram hospital.

That's good news, malay sir on a lighter side can we try to figure out where max operations happen delhi/mumbai/bangaluru/chennai. :cheesy::azn:

I think namma bangaluru (having no data to back up what I am saying) conducts the most.:cheers:

I think AIIMS(THE Premier Hospital and Medical Research Center in the Country)
and secondly Gangaram.

A doctor is a doctor, it does not matter to him what nationality is his patient from? There are many Jew doctors who treat Muslim patient and vice verse all the time in other countries. Religion, Nationality, difference should not come between patent and his doctor imo.

A doctor is a doctor, it does not matter to him what nationality is his patient from? There are many Jew doctors who treat Muslim patient and vice verse all the time in other countries. Religion, Nationality, difference should not come between patent and his doctor imo.

Very well said.:cheers:

Absolutely, Doctor has done the job and mind you the parents paid the fees too and the child's life was saved.
But one should look at the other factors like how parents trusted medical treatment from country which is not treated as friendly.

Absolutely, Doctor has done the job and mind you the parents paid the fees too and the child's life was saved.
But one should look at the other factors like how parents trusted medical treatment from country which is not treated as friendly.

:) similarly there are women from India who travelled to Pakistan for treatment of burn injuries although Pakistan is also not treated as friendly by you.

BTW why they had called it a gift on Independence day. The doctore was paid for the medical treatment whats the point of calling it a gift.

:) similarly there are women from India who travelled to Pakistan for treatment of burn injuries although Pakistan is also not treated as friendly by you.

BTW why they had called it a gift on Independence day. The doctore was paid for the medical treatment whats the point of calling it a gift.

Gift because the Child' life was saved.

Never read about it, could you give the article.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom