What's new

Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin effective in treating coronavirus: French study

Lincoln

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin effective in treating coronavirus: French study
a0a9b3f5-f68c-4b85-8771-d589c8f15989_16x9_600x338.jpg

this file photo taken on February 26, 2020, medical staff shows o at the IHU Mediterranee Infection Institute in Marseille, packets of a Nivaquine, tablets containing chloroquine and Plaqueril, tablets containing hydroxychloroquine, drugs that has shown signs of effectiveness against coronavirus. (AFP)
Ismaeel Naar, Al Arabiya EnglishSaturday 28 March 2020

A combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin has been found effective in treating patients with the COVID-19 coronavirus, according to a study conducted by French researchers on 80 cases who recovered from the virus within six days of treatment.

The study was conducted by a team led by Didier Raoult of the IHU-Mediterranee Infection in France.

Out of the 80 patients who received a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, Raoult and his team found a clinical improvement in all but one patient, 86, who died. One 74-year-old patient was still in the ICU at the time the study was published.

Hydroxychloroquine is an anti-malarial and an anti-inflammatory used to treat auto-immune disorders such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, but it has been tried with some success against symptoms of the novel coronavirus.

Read more: Bahrain among first countries to use Hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus

Regionally, Bahrain is one of the first countries to test hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19, having first used the drug on February 26, two days after registering its first case of the coronavirus.

Around the world, countries are expanding access to hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, related compounds that are synthetic forms of quinine, which come from cinchona trees and have been used for centuries to treat malaria.

“We confirm the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine associated with azithromycin in the treatment of COVID-19 and its potential effectiveness in the early impairment of contagiousness,” the French researchers said in their study’s conclusion.

Read more: Coronavirus: Chloroquine can be toxic, not proved to work

“Given the urgent therapeutic need to manage this disease with effective and safe drugs and given the negligible cost of both hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, we believe that other teams should urgently evaluate this therapeutic strategy both to avoid the spread of the disease and to treat patients before severe irreversible respiratory complications take hold,” the researchers added.

There is still debate among medical experts regarding the use of chloroquine as a treatment. The World Health Organization has not approved the use of chloroquine for coronavirus symptomatic treatment. In the United States, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is currently studying a way to make the drug available for emergency use, but in a way that gives the government data about whether it is safe and effective.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/Ne...ffective-in-treating-coronavirus-French-study

Clearly there is something about hydroxychloroquine going on. Pakistan should seriously start using it in hospitalised cases and ramping up its production at the local subsidiary. Less red tape in Pakistan presumably, so why not take advantage of that fact? We can't keep on just relying on oxygen.

Perhaps there is something to be said for a prophylactic chloroquine regimen also, as it is used for malaria prophylaxis. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Clearly there is something about hydroxychloroquine going on. Pakistan should seriously start using it in hospitalised cases and ramping up its production at the local subsidiary. Less red tape in Pakistan presumably, so why not take advantage of that fact? We can't keep on just relying on oxygen.

Perhaps there is something to be said for a prophylactic chloroquine regimen also, as it is used for malaria prophylaxis. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Isn't it being used in Pakistan? One of my friends who is a doctor here in India told me patients are responding well it seems...even doctors and medical staff who are directly exposed to patients is being given here.

Isn't it being used in Pakistan? One of my friends who is a doctor here in India told me patients are responding well it seems...even doctors and medical staff who are directly exposed to patients is being given here.
Actually I don't know for sure, though some hints were dropped last week by Pakistani sources. Now would be a good time to do a committed trial run for a few days and standardise a treatment regimen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tribun...quine-drug-trial-covid-19-unsuccessful/?amp=1

An initial Chinese trial suggests it isn't significant though.

Overuse of It Can Result In Cardiac Arrest

Given the mixed results so far, individual countries should really do local trials to gauge its effectiveness.

Overuse of It Can Result In Cardiac Arrest
I suppose they would use it at a dose that is known to be safer, I.e. same as malaria treatment dose. Of course risk is still there but in serious cases of covid, the risk may be worthwhile.

Anyway I'm not a pharmacist so please don't take any of this as some kind of evidence based information....I'm just thinking out loud.

You guys watch cold fusion video for more detail on this topic...seems most of the doctors are recommending it ...

Given the mixed results so far, individual countries should really do local trials to gauge its effectiveness.

I suppose they would use it at a dose that is known to be safer, I.e. same as malaria treatment dose. Of course risk is still there but in serious cases of covid, the risk may be worthwhile.

Anyway I'm not a pharmacist so please don't take any of this as some kind of evidence based information....I'm just thinking out loud.

The Medicine Increases The Interval of Heart Beat So Overuse Is Dangerous

The US FDA has given emergency approval to use and distribution of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin doses to hospitals across the nation,saying it is worth the risk of trying unproven treatments to slow the progression of the disease caused by the novel coronavirus in seriously ill patients.

this is the strategy Pakistan or at least punjab is using View attachment 619404
Thanks. Good to know a solid plan is in place. We shall have to see how chloroquine works out. Pakistan has the skills and organisational ability to find a way through these tough times. Hopefully we will come to learn how many from each category (mild, moderate, severe) recover.

The US FDA has given emergency approval to use and distribution of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin doses to hospitals across the nation,saying it is worth the risk of trying unproven treatments to slow the progression of the disease caused by the novel coronavirus in seriously ill patients.
However please do not rush out to the pharmacies looking for those drugs. Your physician will determine which cases may benefit from use of such treatments till more data available. Only a few small studies shown some benefit however a study done in China has not shown benefit of treatment with hydroxychloroquine as compared to standard treatments.
The medications can have serious side effects especially if someone has previous existing heart conditions or using meds such as antidepressants can have a fatal irregularity in heart Rythm when used in combination with macrolide Antibiotics like Azithromycin. Hydroxychloroquine can cause Cardiomyopathy by itself which can be fatal and other serious side effects like suppression of bone marrow to stop producing various type of blood cells and can also cause blindness from retinopathy.
Mild cases of Covid-19 infection will recover and use of these drugs should be in select cases with more serious presentation under direction of a physician.
May Allah keep all of us safe.

Yes both the drugs r being used n r helping,,,, but thr is a problem though.
Both of them prolong QT interval,,, which essentially means,giving it to cardiac patients is very risky,,, n can cause arrest.
N again majority of covid patients having severe form of the disease n requiring medication have heart ailments(DM, malignancy etc).

Back
Top Bottom