What's new

Hunger and Poverty in Pakistan Declined During Musharraf Years

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Poverty and hunger often go together. The affordability of food is usually a bigger issue than its availability in most poor nations, according to research published by Indian-born economist and Nobel Laureate Dr. Amartya Sen. With few exceptions, rising incomes and reductions in poverty rates are known to lead to lower hunger levels.

Pakistan experienced significant declines in poverty and hunger from the year 2000 until 2008, according to figures published by the World Bank and the International Food Policy Research Institute in their separate reports published recently.

Poverty in Pakistan decreased from about 34.5% to 17.2% and hunger went down with it during Musharraf years from 2000 to 2008, as reported by World Bank and IFPRI as lagging indicators. The global hunger index score, published annually by the International Food Policy Research Institute(IFPRI), is a number between zero and 100, with lower figure signifying less hunger.

Based on hunger data collected from 2003 to 2008, IFPRI reported that Pakistan's hunger index score improved over the last three consecutive years reported since 2008 from 21.7 (2008) to 21.0 (2009) to 19.1 (2010) and its ranking rose from 61 to 58 to 52. During the same period, India's index score worsened from 23.7 to 23.9 to 24.1 and its ranking moved from 66 to 65 to 67 on a list of 84 nations.

At 22.67% improvement in its hunger score since 1990, Pakistan has improved less than India's 23.97% reduction, explained mainly by little or no progress in Pakistan during the lost decade of the 1990s under Bhutto and Sharif governments.

On the 11th anniversary of General Musharraf's coup this year, the dominant and self-serving political rhetoric on the airwaves of Pakistan completely obscures Musharraf government's positive role in significantly enhancing Pakistan's economic growth, and reducing hunger and poverty on his watch. Instead, Musharraf's enemies are focusing entirely on his missteps to try and hide hide their own major failures since 2008...failures that have brought Pakistan's economy near collapse reminiscent of the bad old days of the 1990s that ended with Musharraf's coup in 1999. How long can they fool the people of Pakistan? Only time will tell.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Poverty and Hunger Declined in 2000-2008

I believe Musharraf could have accomplished what East Asian dictators did if he had more time...another decade to continue his consistent economic reforms and growth.

Along with economic growth averaging 7% annually, Pakistan experienced significant declines in poverty and hunger from the year 2000 until 2008, according to figures published by the World Bank and the International Food Policy Research Institute in their separate reports published recently.

Poverty in Pakistan decreased from about 34.5% to 17.2% and hunger went down with it during Musharraf years from 2000 to 2008, as reported by World Bank and IFPRI as lagging indicators. The global hunger index score, published annually by the International Food Policy Research Institute(IFPRI), is a number between zero and 100, with lower figure signifying less hunger.

Based on hunger data collected from 2003 to 2008, IFPRI reported that Pakistan's hunger index score improved over the last three consecutive years reported since 2008 from 21.7 (2008) to 21.0 (2009) to 19.1 (2010) and its ranking rose from 61 to 58 to 52. During the same period, India's index score worsened from 23.7 to 23.9 to 24.1 and its ranking moved from 66 to 65 to 67 on a list of 84 nations.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Poverty and Hunger Declined in 2000-2008

^^^^^^^ I don't know about ur complexs with India why u bring India in everything??

Also, are u applying to be a poll manager or PR manager for Musharraf??

and then you contradict yourself with the following:

^^ this is the right attitude.

:what: ???? where is contradiction ? Since this starting post of the thread is based on comparison and then taking pride that Pakistan situation is getting better as compared to India. This in my opinion is the attitude where one takes solace in quoting the worst situation in neighbouring countries.

So i would say we should not take solace by citing Indian condition rather we should further improve ours.

:what: ???? where is contradiction ? Since this starting post of the thread is based on comparison and then taking pride that Pakistan situation is getting better as compared to India. This in my opinion is the attitude where one takes solace in quoting the worst situation in neighbouring countries.

So i would say we should not take solace by citing Indian condition rather we should further improve ours.

Misunderstanding on my part if that was the intent...I take my words back :cheers:

Here's an ET report on social sector development during Musharraf years:

According to the report’s HDI list, between 2000 and 2007, which roughly corresponds with General Pervez Musharraf’s regime, the Human Development Index rose 18.9 per cent — an annual average of 2.7 per cent.

From 2007 to 2012 it only went up by 3.4 per cent, just under 0.7 per cent per annum. Somehow, things got even worse in the last three years of that time frame, with HDI increases crashing down as low as 0.59% — a negligible average annual increase of under 0.20 per cent.

The 2013 Human Development Report “The Rise of the South: Human Progress in a Diverse World” is instrumental in the context of Pakistan, especially given the challenges faced today due to poor policy choices that have been confronted in the report.

Meeting a small group of journalists here, Marc André Franche, UNDP Pakistan’s Country Director launched the report and said it is important for what it says and there are lessons to be learnt from countries with preconditions similar to Pakistan.

Human Development Report 2013: The Rise of the South: As others rise, Pakistan parks the bus – The Express Tribune

Unlimited thumbs up to Gen. Musharraf because in his time Pakistan moving fast towards a bright future & Pakistan was developing rapidly.

I pray we see Gen. Musharraf back in power because he is the right choice for Pakistan, only he can save Pakistan because he knows & understands Pakistan like no other.

This is true... the economy was doing much better during Musharraf's time.

Hardly has to do with Musharraf.

The entire global economy was booming till 2008/9. After that it has crashed for everybody. The exact same trend in Pakistan as well.

Hardly has to do with Musharraf.

The entire global economy was booming till 2008/9. After that it has crashed for everybody. The exact same trend in Pakistan as well.
I disagree. Musharraf had rational mindset; he made some good decisions and picked right people for some important posts. During his tenure, huge number of people in Pakistan got the opportunity to become millionaires. Unfortunately for Musharraf, he also had to contend with WOT which contributed to regional instability as large number of terrorists took refuge within Pakistan and their sympathizers attempted to destabilize the nation (e.g. Lal Masjid incident). The "only major" blunder that Musharraf committed was to go against Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry and implement NRO. Musharraf admits this but he also revealed that his "advisors" misguided him on this.

My observation is that a major chunk of Pakistani populace is a thankless bunch. No wonder this nation have handed power to Zardari on silver plate who have done almost everything to DEPRIVE people from Roti, Kapra and Makaan.

While, people have the indignity to call Musharraf a dictator and Zardari a democrat.

I disagree. Musharraf had rational mindset; he made some good decisions and picked right people for some important posts. During his tenure, huge number of people in Pakistan got the opportunity to become millionaires. Unfortunately for Musharraf, he also had to contend with WOT which contributed to regional instability as large number of terrorists took refuge within Pakistan and their sympathizers attempted to destabilize the nation (e.g. Lal Masjid incident). The "only major" blunder that Musharraf committed was to go against Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry and implement NRO. Musharraf admits this but he also revealed that his "advisors" misguided him on this.

My observation is that a major chunk of Pakistani populace is a thankless bunch. No wonder this nation have handed power to Zardari on silver plate who have done almost everything to DEPRIVE people from Roti, Kapra and Makaan.

So you mean to say that the same pattern that the rest of the GLOBE followed of an economic boom from early 2000's to 2008/9 and a bust after 2009 along with Pakistan is simply a coincidence ?

Back
Top Bottom