What's new

HUGE warship spotted under construction in China (Photo)

Akasa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
siegecrossbow-albums-mystery-ship-picture4380-052d-20construction.jpg
[/IMG]

(remove all spaces before putting into browser)

The ship is in the drydock, in the middle. (it's left of the two cargo ships) It is almost as long as the Varyag.
Some are calling it the Type 052D. Some are calling it the Type 051D.
Others are saying it's the much-anticipated (but never confirmed) Type 052E cruiser :what:.

***NOTE: It's NOT a Type 071***

It might also be the Type 051D (enlarged upgraded variant of Type 051C)[/SIZE]

Last edited:
can't see the picture unless you register for that website:tdown:

Do you think you could copy and paste the picture I don't wanna have to sign up for the site. Plus shouldn't this remain a secret?

052d.jpg

Type 052D, the upgrading version of well-known Type 052C destroyer, will become the air-defense core of PLA Navy Aircraft Carrier Group. Huangpu Shipbuilding Corporation located in Guangzhou will start the production of 4 Type 052D destroyers.

Hudong Shipbuilding Company, another shipbuilder in Shanghai, will carry the task of producing 6-8 23,000-tonne class "flush deck" amphibious transport dock ships.

As the bloom of Type 054A frigates appeared in Chinese ship yards, the performance of this new missile frigate has been recognized by PLA Navy. It can be sure that the production of Type 054A frigate will be continue in Hudong and Huangpu shipbuilding Yards.

Here is the picture:

siegecrossbow-albums-mystery-ship-picture4380-052d-20construction.jpg

There are rumors that this ship fields laser-based missile defence system.

Originally I though you mean the white ship on the right which looks civilian but now I see you are referring to the other 'i'

Also there are two other pieces of what looks like ship bows (or just different deck level tops?) below and below right of the ship.

Can maybe also post it in sinodefence to see what opinions other people have.

I don't think that is a destroyer, first juding from the length and width against Varayg on the top left coner of the photo, it must be above 15,000 tons and more. This will put it in the cruiser class.

Secondly, look at the condition of Varyag, it is indeed a long time ago. And by now this hull must have been built to a recognizable state and would have been spotted by many since it was in a dry dock, but we have no photo or updated news of this hull.

So most likely it is a civilian ship or a navy auxiliary ship.

It is the port of Dalian, so it should be Type 051D.

Type 052D is built in Shanghai.

I don't think so. The Type 051D is an upgraded and enlarged Type 051C, yes, but it's not THAT big. The ship is much bigger than a Ticonderoga, which means it's either (1) a heavy cruiser or amphibious platform (but again, why would the PLA go for obsolete technology?), or (2) some electronic and logistical support ship

I don't think that is a destroyer, first juding from the length and width against Varayg on the top left coner of the photo, it must be above 15,000 tons and more. This will put it in the cruiser class.

Secondly, look at the condition of Varyag, it is indeed a long time ago. And by now this hull must have been built to a recognizable state and would have been spotted by many since it was in a dry dock, but we have no photo or updated news of this hull.

So most likely it is a civilian ship or a navy auxiliary ship.

That's what I thought at first, too. But if you look at the bow of the ship, you will see two large "rectangle" frames in the hull. That I suspect can be potentially a VLS.

Guys, if you look at the bow of the ship, you would notice two rectangular frames on the deck. I personally think it's VLS launchers.

I could be wrong (hey, I'm not a naval buff), but what are your opinions?

Back
Top Bottom