What's new

How Pakistan could effectively cripple Indian’s air force with rocket artillery, and what is needed.

Philip the Arab

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
Analysis| Long range multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS)
Written by: Philip the arab
Category cloud: Oped-research

This writing is my short opinion, and research based article for the Best Writer completion. I don't expect to win, and that was not my complete goal here I am just trying to give my opinion on a underutilized strategic weapon. This is my first real article here that I gave a good effort on so go easy on me please.
us.PNG

Long range multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) are somewhat underappreciated systems that can be used effectively in a suppressive role and are a much cheaper alternative than cruise missiles, yet allow much more payload delivered on target. Pakistan could theoretically use rocket artillery with ranges varying from 100 to 400km acquired from nations that are recent suppliers of Pakistan which produce these systems such as, Turkey and China.[1][2] Assuming Pakistan could use its MLRS for offensive role such as how Americans used their Tomahawk cruise missiles in the early stages of the Iraq war, and more recently in the April 2017 strikes on Syrian airbases thereby rendering roughly 20% of the Syrian air force destroyed. [3]

th

Currently Pakistan has A-100 which lacks range, and accuracy to hit more then a few airbases without coming very close to the LOC and within striking range of well-placed strikes. I have taken the liberty of making a map of the Western Air Command to the best of my knowledge with public sources with the range of the A-100 overlapped. As you can see at most Pakistan can take out a few airbases with concentrated strikes of 50+ rockets absolutely decimating targets with a large 200kg fragmentation warhead that will decimate aircraft runways and allow PAF aircraft to destroy the aircraft on the ground.[4]

upload_2020-4-5_19-14-13.png

One solution to this problem would be Pakistan acquiring longer range MLRS such as the A300 manufactured by China and currently used by the PLA army. The A-300 has a maximum range of 290 kilometers, a 150kg warhead roughly 1/3 the explosives of the Tomahawk and is not bound by MTCR rules which China follows.[5] This range would allow destruction, or a significant disruption in operation of airbases which would allow Pakistani fighters to operate much more easily inside of India without a major fighter threat for at least a few weeks as India is forced to make new airbases and operate further inside of India.
range.PNG

I have again taken the liberty of making a map with the A300 launched from or near Lahore overlain over Indian airbases. As is evident, only about five bases would survive assuming a success rate of 100%, this scenario is only about the Western air command, but it can be applied to the South Western Air command as well. The other five airbases could be taken out by cruise missiles in Pakistani service such as the Babur.[6]

a300_l1.jpg

Disclaimer: This is another entry for BWC 2020 from our member "Philip the Arab". The author's views or opinion does not represent views of Pakistan Defence management.

@Slav Defence @Irfan Baloch @WebMaster @WAJsal @Horus

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-5_19-14-27.png
    upload_2020-4-5_19-14-27.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 473
Last edited by a moderator:
Good points. GPS/Glonass guided rockets are only one attack vector Pakistan could use. Realistically, Pakistan would only take this type of action if it was attacked first (which you can't rule out with Modi in charge).

Good points. GPS/Glonass guided rockets are only one attack vector Pakistan could use. Realistically, Pakistan would only take this type of action if it was attacked first (which you can't rule out with Modi in charge).
The war would likely be short, but very intense and Pakistan could set the IAF years, and at least a trillion dollars back and embarrass India, (and Russia) on the world stage. China would be elated that its product worked as intended.

you can jam GPS signal with 10$ equipment from AliBaba.

Yes it is, airports are huge and barrages of 30-40 rockets combined with the fragmentation that spreads meters would almost ensure destruction.

really? You expect the Indians to allow sustained ‘barrages’ to inflict irreparable damage to their base-with no attempt to take the launchers down? Are the Indians that inept? I don’t think so..

Back
Top Bottom