What's new

How many languages can you speak and what are they?

I have Tamil friends who can almost fully understand Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam. I guess they are related much like all North languages. I also can understand little bit of Kannada but Tamil and Malayalam are too difficult! :cry:

Tamil and Malayalam have many words in common but accent is bit different. Also most of the Malayalam letters looks similar which is very very hard for beginner to read or write it. But in Tamil only 31 letters and all others are derived form that 31 letters to form 247 letters...

and i'm not exposed to any other Indian languages so no way of understanding it...

I can handle following

1) Hindi (including dilects .. Haryanvi, Rajasthani, west UP (khari boli), Braj, Bhojpuri, Magadhi, Garhwali)
2) Urdu
3) Punjabi
4) Marathi
5) Gujrati
6) Telugu - bit
7) Tamil - bit
8) Bangla - bit
9) English - bit
10) French - bit
11) Chinese - bit

Fluent

1) Urdu
2) Hindi (Cann't Read and Write)
3) English

Can well understand

5) Gujarati
6) Mami-ni
7) Sindhi
8) Punjabi
9) Arabic
10) Marhathi
11) Malayalam - bit
12) Tamil - bit

13) German - Bit

Malayalam and Tamil ? how come ? can you explain ?

A Pakistani understanding South Indian language... its a surprise...and difficult to believe. I would say Malayalam is the most difficult Indian language to learn and understand.
unlike other indian languages, It has almost 56 letters and very hard to spell and pronounce. Thats y a malayali can handle other languages easily.:D

Well i lived in Oman since may 2006 and most of my office mates(98%) are Tamil and Malayalam + Arabs too and i learn German in Karachi from Goethe Institute

FLUENT IN

English
Hindi
Malayalam

KNOW LITTLE BIT
Gujrati
Benali
French
Spanish

EXPERTISE IN

Foul language:devil:
a lot of mc,bc,lc,gc and more

1.Bengali(I grew up in West Bengal)
2.Oriya(My mom is from Orissa)
3.Hindi(I can speak ,read and write)
4.English(in school)
5.a little bit of Assamese(a few friends helped me with that)
6. little bit Punjabi
7.little bit of Marathi(hey im in mumbai now!!)
8. very little Telugu..

It was easier for me to know more about other languages and cultures in India as well as that of some other parts of World as I studied in a college where students not only from all parts of India but also from neighboring countries like Nepal,Bhutan,Bangladesh,Srilanka,middle Eastern countries( from Yemen in my batch),African countries like Gambia ,Zambia etc came to study.... There was a mixed culture in the college,a World in its own...Really miss my college days............

Well i lived in Oman since may 2006 and most of my office mates(98%) are Tamil and Malayalam + Arabs too and i learn German in Karachi from Goethe Institute

cewl dude, I think you are one of the very few if not only Pakistani to know Tamil and Malayalam... :whistle::tup:

Well I enjoy learning languages, and if you really want to understand a culture you have to learn their language. Other than English ofcouse here is my list

(1)Urdu (Read, Write, Speak)
(2)Hindi (RWS)
(3)Arabic (RWS)Intermediate level
(4) Persian (RS) Beginner
(5) Mandarin (Speaking) Beginner <<< focusing on this right now

I can also understand and speak a little Punjabi, Bengali and Pashto that I picked up from people over the years :)

Read, Write, Speak:

1) Urdu (Have a very very good vocabulary of Reekhta Urdu, something Indians wouldn't understand. Don't want to boast, but I pride myself for speaking Urdu without any English words thrown in.)

2) English

3) Punjabi (Fluent enough)

4) Nigerian Pidgin (lived in Nigeria for 5 years. Some call it a dialect of English)

Speak:

1) Bhojpuri (my grandparents & parents tongue. I'm decent enough at speaking it, don't know how to read or write it)

2) Hindi (Have a decent vocabulary of Shudh Hindi, & a good Hindi accent to go with it :lol:)

Understand (no fluency in these languages):

1) Gujrati (little bit. Lots of Gujaratis here in America)

2) Farsi (thanks to Reekhta Urdu, a little bit. But the accent is very different unfortunately)

3) Arabic (I can speak & understand just a little bit of Arabic)

English- I can write, read and speak
Urdu- I can speak but can't really read or write it

I can understand some Punjabi and can speak and understand some French.

english
punjabi
sindhi but not fluent
pushto but again not fluent
took spanish whilst in college - understand better than speaking

Fluent with RWS
1. English
2. Hindi
3. Assamese
4. Bengali
5. Sanskrit

Can manage (mostly understand and speak little)
6. Urdu
7. Punjabi (if spoken slowly)
8. Gujrati
9. Bhojpuri & Maithili etc from Bihar
10. Haryanvi
11. Rajasthani (certain dialects spoken by my friends)
12. Nagamese

Can manage if my life depends on it (Little understand and very little speak)
13. Arabic (Gulf spoken)
14. Marathi
15. Himachali
16. Pahari or Kashmiri
17. Oriya

Back
Top Bottom