What's new

How Indian PMs reacted to nuclear ambitions

The credit for the nuclear test goes to him sir. no one is taking away credit from previous pms, but there lies a big, big diff. between making it and testing it. and i damn sure that if it was mms govt. we still would have been thinking of testing them someday. no other leader has strength to do it, other than indira gandhi.

What do you have to say about the time when Bajpayeeji actually voted against the programme?

Bajpayee had to do it because of the reasons highlighted by desioptimist above.

and please don't undermine MMS so much. This new India that you see and live in, the kind of power you have got used to, were not there when we were growing up. Your generations actually cannot appreciate what MMS did for the country because you have not seen from where this country has risen to what level. And 90% of the credit for this new India that you guys have taken for granted goes to MMS.

P.S.: I'm not a Congress supporter. In fact I'm a complete opposite to Congress for their dynastic politics and what they had done previously in my state. But when I think out of the box, MMS still remains the greatest influence of Indian history post independence.

I think PV is the next strongest PM we had after Indira Gandhi..be it reforming the economy by holding off the opponents including his own party members to nuclear preparations. He had made several strong decisions during his period. Unfortunately there was a bad incident (Babri Masjid demolition) in his term which marred his reputation so much so that congress disowned him and his tenure. His dead body wasn't even allowed to enter congress head office which is a tradition extended to all other congress leaders. I thinks its a disgrace on congress part.

What do you have to say about the time when Bajpayeeji actually voted against the programme?

Bajpayee had to do it because of the reasons highlighted by desioptimist above.

and please don't undermine MMS so much. This new India that you see and live in, the kind of power you have got used to, were not there when we were growing up. Your generations actually cannot appreciate what MMS did for the country because you have not seen from where this country has risen to what level. And 90% of the credit for this new India that you guys have taken for granted goes to MMS.

P.S.: I'm not a Congress supporter. In fact I'm a complete opposite to Congress for their dynastic politics and what they had done previously in my state. But when I think out of the box, MMS still remains the greatest influence of Indian history post independence.

Don't forget PV, it was him who brought MMS on board to do the reforms. There were several times when MMS threatened to quit on the face of pressure mounted on him. It was PV who insisted and protected him from external pressures. Even MMS credited the reforms to PV's persistence. Actually PV didn't even have the absolute majority in the parliament. There were many who opposed him with in his party. Yet he persisted, shows how strong a leader he was. MMS although good natured is not strong enough.

Outstanding interview. Reveals lot of info about India's nuclear arms development. All of them were helpful except Desai.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom