What's new

How India made a very wise decision by going for only 36 Rafales and not 126 ?

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rafale was the winner of MMRCA for a reason. Among other qualities, it also had first AESA radar developed in Europe. Detection range of RBE2 against Fighter Size targets ( RCS 3m2 ) is 200 km. And it is still Rafale F3 Standard.
French are already working on Rafale F4 Standard because France wants to fly Rafale competitively, well into the 2050s. Supply of 126 Rafales would easily have taken 7-8 years and India would have been saddled with a fighter jet whose advanced versions were already in the market.

Present Role of RBE2 AESA radar in BVR Engagement :
Angular coverage of present RBE2 AESA radar is 140◦ i.e. +/- 70◦ due to its fixed AESA plate. The radars with swashplate like proposed Captor AESA radar of Eurofighter Typhoon have a wider angular coverage. So in a beyond visual range warfare, let us assume Rafale launches radar-homing missile on enemy jet having swashplate. Rafale cannot maneuver more than 70◦ while the other plane can maneuver more than 90◦. Thus Rafale would be aiming its missile at a fighter jet flying perpendicular to Rafale or away from Rafale’s Beyond Visual Range missile, while the other plane can still provide mid-course update to its own missile that is fired at Rafale.
Though MICAs and Meteors onboard Rafale can now be provided mid-course update by buddy Rafale- the shooting rafale can easily move away after launching its BVR missile but still a certain disadvantage is there vis-à-vis other 4++ generation fighters that have swishplate radars.

Future Upgrades of RBE2 AE radar :
“ Thales plans to develop a conformal AESA radar featuring ultra-thin, lightweight antennas and very fast data links that could greatly increase the integration of on-board system and permit them to fuse data and perform a host of new missions at an affordable cost. Among them are aircraft to aircraft networking, boroadband communications, advanced jamming, network invasion and electronic attack._ _ _ _ _
The ultimate aim is to develop a multipurpose conformal array with a shared common aperture that could be distributed all over the fuselage and wings without significantly affecting aircraft aerodynamics. This will take 10-12 years
_ _ _ _ _ An intermediate capability, featuring a centralized architecture with shared receivers but separate apertures could be achieved in 5-7 years. _ _ _ _ _
The availability of cooling and processor improvements needed to support a conformal array is compatible with this timeline _ _ _ _ _
Moreover the new design will be based on a patented “ cloud transmit / receive module “ ( TRM ) approach that will allow novel technologies such as Gallium Nitride modules to be inserted without changing the overall radar architecture or requiring full requalification ” ( Pierre-Yves Chaltiel, Head of Electronics Combat Systems, in Aviation Week and Space Technology)
So this would mean increased angular coverage ( conformal arrays on fuselage or wings) and greater detection range of aerial targets due to GaN T/R modules. Gallium Nitride modules are 5 times more powerful than GaAS T/R modules.

Conclusion:
Thus if India plans to buy more Rafale even when intermediate upgrades have been done 5-7 years from now, it would be a much better proposition. And who knows DRDO might develop its own GaN T/R modules and conformal arrays by then. Considering the confidence that DRDO honchos exude in developing a 4++ aircraft within 3 years ( MK2) and Fifth Generation Fighter Jet (AMCA) by 2025, there was no way indigenous aviation industry could be denied the opportunity to test its competence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wise decision my *** Indians were very delusional about their "riches" and acting cocky boasting 126 is just the first tranche, they will double the order but soon realized they don't even have enough funds to buy 36. now that the air is out of the balloon, lack of funds becomes a wise decision.

Wise decision my *** Indians were very delusional about their "riches" and acting cocky boasting 126 is just the first tranche, they will double the order but soon realized they don't even have enough funds to buy 36. now that the air is out of the balloon, lack of funds becomes a wise decision.
Right India doesn't have the funds to import. And a elite member too lol

20_largest_importers_map_1.jpg

chartoftheday_9100_the_top_15_countries_for_military_expenditure_in_2016_n.jpg

Right India doesn't have the funds to import. And a elite member too lol

20_largest_importers_map_1.jpg

chartoftheday_9100_the_top_15_countries_for_military_expenditure_in_2016_n.jpg
thaat is what your defense minister said

New Delhi: “I also feel like having a BMW and Mercedes. But I don’t because I can’t afford it… So, 126 Rafales was economically unviable. It was not required,” defence minister Manohar Parrikar was reported to have said last year, when asked about the previous government’s plan to buy over a hundred Rafale fighter jets.

https://thewire.in/economy/rafale-deal-emblematic-modi-trying-fix-indias-defence-industry

We cant afford 126 rafale's . Parrikar openly said this in parliament

I was talking about his comments implying India can't pay for the 36 planes . Besides congress had a history of bulk buying & manufacturing deals with jets unlike bjp. Who are hesitant to ink deals.

This was nothing, but a political decision. First, it took almost a century for India to come up with a shortlist. Even today the critics claim that Rafale decision will harm IAF in the long run for a whole host if reasons.

Congress will ink deal with whovever offer them cut.
Regardless of the allegations we have a history of bulk buying & manufacturing , that's the reason 60% of our arms importers are Russian even though we import from nearly all major markets

Regardless of the allegations we have a history of bulk buying & manufacturing , that's the reason 60% of our arms importers are Russian even though we import from nearly all major markets
"Bulk buying with absurd contracts and license manufacturing" without any knowledge gains in any of the deals.

lol building tejas Garbage and arjun was also wise
you should be happy then what are you waiting for when are you launching an attack on india then since we are so weak :what: :butcher: :sarcastic:

I have maybe you should too.
i did it never says or the genral never says arjun or tejas are not worthy of joining the forces and they have saud things are fine tuned now and decks ahve been cleared it would have been fine ahd these things would have been done much much earlier looks like you need to improove your english and hindi lostening and underdrsatnding skills :coffee:

point what most kids here dont know was UPA deal was a big big kick backs deal we were not getting any TOT or spare parts contract heck not even meteor or latest recce or LDP pods and some other classified weapons in that deal but in NDA deal we are getting spare parts deal + mantainence deal + 50% of ammpint of deal will be invested in india & major TOT plus many types of PODs & advanced Air to Air & Air to Ground weapons while 36 more will be built in india while there is sepprate deal to make naval version fully in india

WTF? Hopelessly outgunned and outnumbered against china ...i think india should wait for 8th gen fighter

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom