What's new

How China's tier 5 or tier 6 cities look like?

No, an essay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengwang_Ge_Xu
Tengwang Ge Xu (Chinese: 滕王閣序; pinyin: Téngwáng Gé Xù) (Preface to the Prince of Teng's Pavilion, full name Qiuri deng Hongzhou Tengwang Ge Jianbie Xu (Chinese: 秋日登洪府滕王閣餞別序; pinyin: Qiurì deng Hóngzhou Téngwáng Gé Jiànbié Xù) (Preface to a farewell feast atop the Prince of Teng's Pavilion in Autumn) or Tengwang Ge Shi Xu (Chinese: 滕王閣詩序; pinyin: Téngwáng Gé Shi Xù) (Preface to a Poem on the Prince of Teng's Pavilion), is a piece of literature by Wang Bo of the Tang Dynasty. It is considered a founding essay of Tang Literature

It is classified as Pianwen (Chinese: 駢文; pinyin: Piánwén), which depends greatly on rhythm, somewhat like classical Chinese poetry, but does not have a restriction of how many characters should be in one sentence, and how many sentences in one paragraph. It is named after Teng Wang Ge, a pavilion standing by the Gan River of Nanchang City, which was then called Hongzhou (Chinese: 洪州; pinyin: Hóngzhou) and is the capital of the current province of Jiangxi. It was first built in the early Tang Dynasty.

Wáng Bó was on his way to Jiaozhi County, in present-day northern Vietnam, visiting his father, and encountered a grand banquet held there. It is acknowledged that he actually finished the work at the banquet. The author expressed his sadness at being unable to make use of his talent. In fact, he was drowned in the South China Sea not long after he finished this classic, before he reached Vietnam to see his father.
Why Wangbo went to Vietnam?

Why Wangbo went to Vietnam?
His wrongdoing was discovered.....
As a consequence, he was jailed and his father was relegated to be the governor of Jiaozhi County in today's Vietnam, around Hanoi.
At his 26-year-old, the crown princess was appointed, a total amnesty was declared...
So he was set free.
And he went to see his father in Jiaozhi.
On his way to Jiaozhi, in today's Nanchang City he was invited to a banquet held in Tengwang Pavilion and wrote this essay.
He drowned in the sea before seeing his father (or after)

His most famous poem is 送杜少府之任蜀州.
One line from this poem is widely used in modern Chinese.
Another must-to-recite poem in middle school
海内存知己 天涯若比邻

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/海內存知己,天涯若比鄰

城闕輔三秦,
風煙望五津。
與君離別意,
同是宦遊人。
海內存知己,
天涯若比鄰。

無為在歧路,
兒女共霑巾

屏幕快照 2017-09-14 17.54.26.png
屏幕快照 2017-09-14 17.54.09.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yijinhuoluo (伊金霍洛), a small town on the Gobi desert
http://720yun.com/t/7ae26abdqcs?pano_id=703097

Jiangying (江阴), a small city that even unknown to many Chinese
http://720yun.com/t/312jOzsyrv2?pano_id=2851616
http://720yun.com/t/e70jO0wvty8?pano_id=2503756

Yixing, a county level unit , unknown to many Chinese
http://720yun.com/t/ff9jkpwkkO1?pano_id=3952962
http://720yun.com/t/ff9jkpwkkO1?pano_id=6723352
宜兴紫砂壶!
Counties and county-level cities are usually only known to locals.....
The best known county-level city might be Kunshan......
But we don't usually assign a "tier" to counties......
We mostly only call prefecture-level cities as tierN cities.
Kunshan belongs to Suzhou City.
Suzhou is tier2, but Kunshan has No tier.....
If ranked, Kunshan could be tier3-4.

Holy....is this really a county-level city???
I think we need to create a prefecture for Jangying.....
1.5 million people, GDP per capita 30k dollars (non-PPP)
Very legit....total economy larger than most cities in my province
free from its upper-hand prefecture-level government
屏幕快照 2017-09-15 00.44.21.png

Yangtze River is quite busy.....
屏幕快照 2017-09-15 00.40.50.jpg
屏幕快照 2017-09-15 00.40.22.jpg

@GS Zhou What is the city across the river?

This is interesting....
A group of aunties OCCUPY a square....
(i could imagine the dancing music)
And on the pedestrian lane, more are coming!
屏幕快照 2017-09-15 00.54.17.jpg
屏幕快照 2017-09-15 00.54.49.jpg

Last edited:
Holy....is this really a county-level city???
I think we need to create a prefecture for Jangying.....
1.5 million people, GDP per capita 30k dollars (non-PPP)
Very legit....total economy larger than most cities in my province
free from its upper-hand prefecture-level government
Jiangying is a county-level unit, under the management of Wuxi.

I have many relatives there, so I travel to it quite frequently. It is indeed a beautiful and tidy city. I still remember that, when I drove my wife to Jiangying for the first time, she was completely shocked by the development level of the city. She kept asking me: it is such a developed place, but why I've never heard of this place before??

But do you know what is the most weird point of Jiangying? It is NOT connected by any passenger rail, even no normal rail, needless to say high speed ones!! Indeed weird and stupid, I must say that! That's a core reason why Jiangying hates Wuxi, because the latter takes almost all the resources.

@GS Zhou What is the city across the river?
江苏靖江,Jingjiang

Jiangying is a county-level unit, under the management of Wuxi.

I have many relatives there, so I travel to it quite frequently. It is indeed a beautiful and tidy city. I still remember that, when I drove my wife to Jiangying for the first time, she was completely shocked by the development level of the city. She kept asking me: it is such a developed place, but why I've never heard of this place before??

But do you know what is the most weird point of Jiangying? It is NOT connected by any passenger rail, even no normal rail, needless to say high speed ones!! Indeed weird and stupid, I must say that! That's a core reason why Jiangying hates Wuxi, because the latter takes almost all the resources.

江苏靖江,Jingjiang
I am thinking there should be no prefecture any more...
All counties should be directly administered by provincial governments....
In my province, we already have such design, three county-level cities.
It is true in many cases such prefecture-level city governments only think for the main city......
But all developed provinces in reality rely on strong counties.
That's why Jiangsu Province is en route to be a 2-trillion-dollar economy.....
Their county-level economy is simply too strong.

Guys, can we borrow some of your cities?

No really, I am pleasantly surprised to see all these beautiful places. The fact that some also contained traditional architectural style gives it a uniquely Chinese touch. I am glad that this is not being neglected under the guise of modernization unlike many South Asian cities who are destroying everything traditional and replacing them with ugly square or rectangular blocks. :tup:

Guys, can we borrow some of your cities?

No really, I am pleasantly surprised to see all these beautiful places. The fact that some also contained traditional architectural style gives it a uniquely Chinese touch. I am glad that this is not being neglected under the guise of modernization unlike many South Asian cities who are destroying everything traditional and replacing them with ugly square or rectangular blocks. :tup:
I think it is about balance.
Traditional buildings are memories and should be preserved but should not be the bases of massive urbanization.

Modernity could be also associated with a country's own cultures. As in the case of China, we tend do build traditional gardens in the new areas to decrease the density and bring about a sense of harmony.

As in the case provided by @GS Zhou , Karamay, a completely newly built city for the nearby oil fields.
屏幕快照 2017-09-19 21.26.09.jpg

In more established cities, old city quarter usually performs as the cultural centre in the very centre of a city.
In my hometown:
屏幕快照 2016-11-13 11.38.50.jpg

Historic Canal dating back to 1500 years ago in Hangzhou's city centre
西湖文化广场.jpg

City centre of Chengdu in Western China
屏幕快照 2016-11-18 18.04.00.jpg

City centre of Kunming in Western China
金马牌坊.jpg

Chongqing, Western China
CBD and old buildings
屏幕快照 2017-03-05 13.49.11.jpg

New buildings could also reflect history.

High-speed railway stations in China
曲阜高铁站2.jpg

Suzhou Station
苏州站.jpg
苏州站2.jpg
苏州站1.jpg

And those cities that are doing extremely well in regard to combining modern techniques with ancient architecture are those wealthy and developed cities.
This point proves economy and development is not the killer of traditional cultures.
Poverty and underdevelopment is!

Urbanisation from my perspectives, if well designed, promotes our own cultures and history.

I think it is about balance.
Traditional buildings are memories and should be preserved but should not be the bases of massive urbanization.

Modernity could be also associated with a country's own cultures. As in the case of China, we tend do build traditional gardens in the new areas to decrease the density and bring about a sense of harmony.

As in the case provided by @GS Zhou , Karamay, a completely newly built city for the nearby oil fields.
View attachment 426414

In more established cities, old city quarter usually performs as the cultural centre in the very centre of a city.
In my hometown:
View attachment 426415

Historic Canal dating back to 1500 years ago in Hangzhou's city centre
View attachment 426423

City centre of Chengdu in Western China
View attachment 426424

City centre of Kunming in Western China
View attachment 426425

Chongqing, Western China
CBD and old buildings
View attachment 426426

New buildings could also reflect history.

High-speed railway stations in China
View attachment 426417

Suzhou Station
View attachment 426419 View attachment 426421 View attachment 426420

And those cities that are doing extremely well in regard to combining modern techniques with ancient architecture are those wealthy and developed cities.
This point proves economy and development is not the killer of traditional cultures.
Poverty and underdevelopment is!

Urbanisation from my perspectives, if well designed, promotes our own cultures and history.

Lovely, and yes, I have seen to many countries wiping out their indigenous culture just to project themselves as modern and civillised. You are fortunate to live in a country that harbours no inferior complex when it comes to modernity and tradition.

We in Pakistan have a lot to learn from the Chinese civilisation.

CHINA city has bad waste recovery system,97% waste are buried huge pottential pollution and hugh waste of materials
what about current status about pollution? as far as I know, many many firms were closed these days due to pollution.
so don't be so unconventional.

Back
Top Bottom