What's new

How can our pre-Islamic ancestors be claimed to be following Brahmanic or Zorastrian traditions if they ate beef and buried their dead?

The 'what-if' analysis of historical events is interesting but one must remember that a small change in historical events can cause a major change thousands of years down the line, to the extent that the present is completely different from the way we experience it today. It can mean for example there is no India or Pakistan as we see them today, and even our own individual existence may be questionable.

Butterfly effect.

In our history, only Sikhism has been something close to a monotheistic faith that originated in India. All the rest are either polytheistic or non-theistic beliefs.
There are monotheistic philosophies in Hinduism. For example:
Advaita Vedanta (/ʌdˈvaɪtə vɛˈdɑːntə/; Sanskrit: अद्वैत वेदान्त, IAST: Advaita Vedānta) is a Hindu sādhanā, a path of spiritual discipline and experience,[note 1] and the oldest extant tradition of the orthodox Hindu school Vedānta.[note 2] The term Advaita (literally "non-secondness", but usually rendered as "nondualism",[4][5] and often equated with monism[note 3]) refers to the idea that Brahman alone is ultimately real, while the transient phenomenal world is an illusory appearance (maya) of Brahman.

Advaita Vedanta (/ʌdˈvaɪtə vɛˈdɑːntə/; Sanskrit: अद्वैत वेदान्त, IAST: Advaita Vedānta) is a Hindu sādhanā, a path of spiritual discipline and experience,[note 1] and the oldest extant tradition of the orthodox Hindu school Vedānta.[note 2] The term Advaita (literally "non-secondness", but usually rendered as "nondualism",[4][5] and often equated with monism[note 3]) refers to the idea that Brahman alone is ultimately real, while the transient phenomenal world is an illusory appearance (maya) of Brahman.
Monism is not the same as monotheism.
Advaita or non-duality means that the individual is not separate from creation but a part of it. In practical terms it means that there is no point struggling with the various aspects of how to 'experience the universe' because we are not separate from it.

Advaita or non-duality means that the individual is not separate from creation but a part of it. In practical terms it means that there is no point struggling with the various aspects of how to 'experience the universe' because we are not separate from it.
What does "Brahman alone is ultimately real" mean then?

Where do you think Sanskrit originated? North Africa?

The Kalash people were left alone, they had a polytheistic faith. In our history, only Sikhism has been something close to a monotheistic faith that originated in India. All the rest are either polytheistic or non-theistic beliefs.

The concept of God in Hinduism varies in its diverse traditions. Hinduism spans a wide range of beliefs such as henotheism, monotheism, polytheism, panentheism, pantheism, pandeism, monism, agnosticism, atheism, and nontheism.

Most of us Assamese do not even do idol worship, unlike what many believes as common trait of Hinduism.. They just pray towards a Holy Book "Kirtan Puthi" kept on a pedestal, much like the Sikhs.

WhatsApp_Image_2020_09_07_at_1_59_53_PM.jpeg

Last edited:
The concept of God in Hinduism varies in its diverse traditions. Hinduism spans a wide range of beliefs such as henotheism, monotheism, polytheism, panentheism, pantheism, pandeism, monism, agnosticism, atheism, and nontheism.
Hinduism is probably not even a relgion, I don't think it even makes any sense TBH (not from a relgious pov of morality or it being right or wrong)
but as an ideology or set of beliefs, for a layman like what is it? It makes no sense, I can't pin it down, there's no core that I can look into and atleast try to figure out the whole concept

Even in dharmic relgions I understand Buddhism, Sikhism, to some extent Jainism too (but tbh it's more like Hinduism in some ways, complicated and not easy to understand)

What unites Hindus? What makes a Hindu a Hindu? Can anyone be Hindu? Can you follow a different religion like Christianity and still be considered a Hindu? If so what makes that Cristian a Hindu? Who is Hindu and who is not a Hindu? If for example someone wants to be a Hindu and be recognized as a Hindu by society at large
What's the first step?

Last edited:
What does "Brahman alone is ultimately real" mean then?

The Brahman in Advaita philosophy is not God as other religions perceive it. There is no one to be appeased, to be scared of and no one who tells us rules. This is the reason it is classified under monoism and not monotheism. Some take this to be atheism, but even within the followers some disagree. They say that Brahman is 'Ishwar' and therefore God, in which case it can be called monotheism.

Hinduism is probably not even a relgion, I don't think it even makes any sense TBH (not from a relgious pov of morality or it being right or wrong)
but as an ideology or set of beliefs, for a layman like what is it? It makes no sense, I can't pin it down, there's no core that I can look into and atleast try to figure out the whole concept

Even in dharmic relgions I understand Buddhism, Sikhism, to some extent Jainism too (but tbh it's more like Hinduism in some ways, complicated and not easy to understand)

What unites Hindus? What makes a Hindu a Hindu?

“"Hinduism" is largely a fiction, formulated in the 18th and 19th centuries out of a multiplicity of sub-continental religions, and enthusiastically endorsed by Indian modernisers. Unlike Muslims, "Hindus" have tended to borrow more than reject, and it has now been reconfigured as a global rival to the big three monotheisms. In the process, it has abandoned the tradition of toleration which lie in its true origins.” -Pankaj Mishra

"The term Hindu was first imposed on South Asian nations by the
Afghan dynasty of Ghori in the 12th century; this term was never
used in south Asia prior to the Muslim era and is not even found in
early (pre-12th century AD) Brahmanical or Buddhist texts. Such a
term and concept has no historical depth in any social, religious,
ethnic or national sense past the 12th century when Mohammed Ghori
for the first time named his conquered subjects Hindus." [G. Singh,
Sakasthan and India, Toronto, 1999, p. 20]

The Brahman in Advaita philosophy is not God as other religions perceive it. There is no one to be appeased, to be scared of and no one who tells us rules. This is the reason it is classified under monoism and not monotheism. Some take this to be atheism, but even within the followers some disagree. They say that Brahman is 'Ishwar' and therefore God, in which case it can be called monotheism.
If one goes by that logic, Brahman is the only thing real, but Brahman is not divinity, then there is no divinity, unless divinity is not real i.e., is a myth. That seems too close to atheism to have been part of ancient philosophy. Ancient philosophers severely disliked atheism.

If one goes by that logic, Brahman is the only thing real, but Brahman is not divinity, then there is no divinity, unless divinity is not real i.e., is a myth. That seems too close to atheism to have been part of ancient philosophy. Ancient philosophers severely disliked atheism.
Cause atheism brings hopelessness, that sense of martyrdom or sacrifice for the greater good is just not there (communists were athiests I wonder how they motivated themselves to make the ultimate sacrifice) ,psychological support system probably that's why ancient philosophers didn't wanna encourage that thaught process

Although sin part to keep society in check is largely BS imho,

Not true. Buddhism is an atheistic religion and by certain yardsticks even Jainism can be called atheistic. The question about who created God has always been on people's minds, even in ancient times. Some find it easier to deal with the fact that universe itself is the ultimate being, in absence of evidence to the contrary.

Divinity is something we humans attach in our worship. The difference between supreme being in atheistic philosophies and theistic ones is that in the latter the supreme being is by implication assumed to have capability to judge right from wrong and therefore a need to punish or reward people. There is no proof for either approach.

Not true. Buddhism is an atheistic religion and by certain yardsticks even Jainism can be called atheistic. The question about who created God has always been on people's minds, even in ancient times. Some find it easier to deal with the fact that universe itself is the ultimate being, in absence of evidence to the contrary.

Divinity is something we humans attach in our worship. The difference between supreme being in atheistic philosophies and theistic ones is that in the latter the supreme being is by implication assumed to have capability to judge right from wrong and therefore a need to punish or reward people. There is no proof for either approach.
I know Buddhism is atheistic, but Hinduism is not (for most part). That is part of the reason Buddhism went out of fashion in India. it lost out in the marketplace of divinity.

I know Buddhism is atheistic, but Hinduism is not (for most part). That is part of the reason Buddhism went out of fashion in India. it lost out in the marketplace of divinity.
It is not easy to understand Hinduism, even by Hindus. From my experience, while Hindus differ in what they believe in, they do not necessarily reject the beliefs of other Hindus, unless it involves a mythological subject or a historical event. The philosophical expanse of Hinduism is very vast and daunting, almost impossible to make it a part of daily life. Hence apart from different beliefs, you also have varying degrees of practice. One could say that at its core, the concept of universe as the supreme being is a very simple one and if you accept it, there is actually not much to practice in daily life.

The main reason Buddhism declined in India was due to the political nature of Brahminical Hinduism. Brahmins kept themselves close to kings, or were kings themselves. The concept that the king is ordained to rule on people is something the Brahmins supported, which the rulers found useful. In return Brahmins got patronage. Buddhism did not support such a concept and this is also the reason why all the Mahajanpads (republics) were mainly Buddhist. For that period, republics were doomed to be conquered by kingdoms that had more centralised command

Can you follow a different religion like Christianity and still be considered a Hindu? If so what makes that Cristian a Hindu? Who is Hindu and who is not a Hindu? If for example someone wants to be a Hindu and be recognized as a Hindu by society at large
What's the first step?

I guess they can be considered as Hindu as per the core beliefs. Religion is considered a personal belief in Hinduism and followers are free to choose the different interpretations within the framework of karma and samsara. Even an atheist is considered part of Hinduism. Hinduism is not a structured religion having set of rituals, or one or few holy books and a set guidelines. The term Hinduism itself is not correct as it was imposed later on. Hinduism includes a diversity of ideas on spirituality and traditions, but has no ecclesiastical order, no unquestionable religious authorities, no governing body, no prophet(s) nor any binding holy book; Hindus can choose to be polytheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, pandeistic, henotheistic, monotheistic, monistic, agnostic, atheistic or humanist. Ideas about all the major issues of faith and lifestyle – vegetarianism, nonviolence, belief in rebirth, even caste – are subjects of debate, not dogma. I agree its difficult to understand even for me. The term Dharma is more apt then the term religion for such beliefs.

Back
Top Bottom