What's new

How 150 soldiers, 2 dogs rescued Armyman trapped in Siachen

Sir, i'm not sure this video is from current operation although it does represent rescuing of a trapped personnel in Siachen.
really?? yar someone has to be stupid to circulate this with current operation as its title...sorry folks...i had no clue this one is from some other operation...

Anyways...we have some this far...i pray to god that he should survive now...6 days under snow would have taken toll on his body...

really?? yar someone has to be stupid to circulate this with current operation as its title...sorry folks...i had no clue this one is from some other operation...
Well these are time of frenzy, so some media channels played this video, however it was clarified by few channels that this is not from current operation.
I'm not aware of protocols but surely Army won't allow release of any information, without scrutiny in public domain.
Afterall one brave man is still fighting for his life and 9 have attained martyrdom, so i hope media shows some respect towards sentiments of bereaved families.

Last edited:
Well these are time of frenzy, so some media channels played this video, however it was clarified by few channels that this is into from current operation.
I'm not aware of protocols but surely Army won't allow release of any information, without scrutiny in public domain.
Afterall one brave man is still fighting for his life and 9 have attained martyrdom, so i hope media shows some respect towards sentiments of bereaved families.

too much to ask from presstitudes...

Check this out....
Again, I am very skeptical of this video being the resuce of Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad He was said to have been recovered from 25 ft down, the video is nowhere near this depth and the soldiers aren't wearing the standard white survial suits that all in Siachin wear.

View attachment 292679
Army personnel search for survivors after a deadly avalanche on the Siachen glacier. (AFP photo)

NEW DELHI: Dogged determination of over 150 soldiers helped by two canines, Dot and Misha, besides earth penetrating radars and special ice cutting equipment helped rescue Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad, who was buried under tonnes of ice at 19,500 feet on the Siachen Glacier.

On February 3, an 800X400ft ice wall broke off and covered an Army post in northern glacier in Siachen, the world's highest battlefield.

The debris, including massive ice boulders, some the size of a small room, spread over 800x1000 metres.

The rescue teams had the arduous task of breaking through 25-30 ft of blue ice, which is harder than concrete, and had to chip it away inch by inch, Army officials said explaining the rescue operation.

Over 150 trained and acclimatized Army troops, including specialized teams trained in glaciated terrain, were moved into the avalanche site and round-the-clock rescue operations were carried out in extreme weather conditions where average day temperatures was minus 30 degrees celcius and night temperature below minus 55 degrees.

Medical teams and equipment were moved in and a post established to provide emergency treatment at the rescue site itself.

Specialized rescue dogs were also pressed into service.

"The dogs, Dot and Misha, did a tremendous job," the officials said.
View attachment 292683
Dog helping in Siachen search operation. (AFP photo)

Specialized digging and boring equipment, like rock drills, electrical saws and earth augers were flown in.

In addition, deep penetration radars, capable of detecting metallic objects and heat signatures at a depth of 20 meters, and radio signal detectors were also flown in using Air Force fixed wing aircrafts and Army Aviation helicopters.

Using the specialized equipment the rescue teams were able to identify locations, where digging were carried out.

However, rescue efforts were frequently hampered by high velocity winds and blizzards.

By Monday, the rescue teams were able to reach the location of the buried habitat and Koppad was recovered alive.

The bodies of nine soldiers were also extricated from their icy grave.
View attachment 292684

"Him being found alive electrified the entire rescue team. There was a sudden burst of energy among the men," officials said.
When rescued, Koppad was conscious but drowsy and disoriented. He was severely "dehydrated, hypothermic, hypoxic, hypoglycemic and in shock".
He was immediately resuscitated by the doctors at the site, who had been there for the past 5 days in the hope of finding a survivor.
He was treated with warm intravenous fluids, humidified warm oxygen and passive external rewarming. He was later moved to the Army and Research Hospital here, they said.

How 150 soldiers, 2 dogs rescued Armyman trapped in Siachen - Times of India

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Echo_419 @nair @SpArK @Roybot @Water Car Engineer @Tshering22 @GORKHALI

Increidble stuff and nothing but respect for the IA, IAF and the Lance Naik. At no point did they give up- pushing until the very end for their brothers, it is humbling to think the amount of effort they put in with such extreme conditions. At such heights just walking is an effort because of the lack of O2 but these rescue teams were working day and night to try and acheive the impossble.

These are not ordinary men.

I had posted an account of another resuce operation that still makes me feel unfathomably sad:

ROPE- a must read account of the dangers of operating in the Siachin Glacier

I wish the dead yodhas attain veer swarg (warriors heaven) and pray to god almighty to save lance naik hanumanthappa
This shows that southerners are good on snowy mountains or even better than northies
And one should know that naik hanumanthappa comes from a region which is too hot, northern Karnataka has unbearable heat as hot as Rajasthani thar or even hotter, he has proved that he is a tough guy.

Heard they could work for only 30mins at a stretch.

what is it?

Yes Levina ji, in high altitudes and low temperatures there is a fear of hypothermia setting in if people sweat.
Also oxygen is lesser which means activities have to be in small batches.

This shows that southerners are good on snowy mountains or even better than northies
And one should know that naik hanumanthappa comes from a region which is too hot, northern Karnataka has unbearable heat as hot as Rajasthani thar or even hotter, he has proved that he is a tough guy.

Indeed, but in the military and even trekking teams, there is a standard of high altitude acclimatization training process.

If you go from any plain city on a direct flight to THOISE airfield (Jet operated there for some time)and start dancing there, even if you are a pahadi you will still faint and your body will seize up. High altitude needs adaptation which is broken down into time intervals.

Siachen posting has a lot of processes and planning in place whereby people of any terrain can adapt and engage in combat. Even though we Sikkimese, Nepalis, Garwalis, Himachalis, Arunachalis or Kashmiris are used to higher altitudes than rest of the country, it doesn't mean we can just run upto Kanchenjunga or Everest or K2 and start working straight away.

It takes time though we have evolved differently due to centuries of high altitude living. Our blood has the ability to intake higher levels of oxygen and our lungs are stronger than those who live in the plains.

Last edited:
Yes Levina ji,
:angel:
in high altitudes and low temperatures there is a fear of hypothermia setting in if people sweat.
Also oxygen is lesser which means activities have to be in small batches
My father was once posted in Leh, so I...kinda...already knew about it. :P
I am not as dumb as you think. :lol:

On serious note, I was talking about their limitation, that despite not being able to work beyond 30mins, they worked hard to search for their colleagues. Infact they risked their own life for searching those who might have already been dead. Hats off to them.

Yes Levina ji, in high altitudes and low temperatures there is a fear of hypothermia setting in if people sweat.

Indeed, but in the military and even trekking teams, there is a standard of high altitude acclimatization training process.

If you go from any plain city on a direct flight to THOISE airfield (Jet operated there for some time)and start dancing there, even if you are a pahadi you will still faint and your body will seize up. High altitude needs adaptation which is broken down into time intervals.

Siachen posting has a lot of processes and planning in place whereby people of any terrain can adapt and engage in combat. Even though we Sikkimese, Nepalis, Garwalis, Himachalis, Arunachalis or Kashmiris are used to higher altitudes than rest of the country, it doesn't mean we can just run upto Kanchenjunga or Everest or K2 and start working straight away.

It takes time though we have evolved differently due to centuries of high altitude living. Our blood has the ability to intake higher levels of oxygen and our lungs are stronger than those who live in the plains.
I know sir as the snow leopards are to the Himalayas, pahadis are to our national security, they are our mountain warriors, mountain people are built for life in mountains.
But my point is even after acclimatisation it is difficult at high altitudes, but the people who originally from plains and that too hot regions are able to do their duties and highest deployments to siachin by the army even from initial deployments is from madras regiment.
That's why I say they are doing a commendable job, they need appreciation, I would not have felt overvelmed if they had swam in the ocean, or fought in the desert, what do u say?

I know sir as the snow leopards are to the Himalayas, pahadis are to our national security, they are our mountain warriors, mountain people are built for life in mountains.
But my point is even after acclimatisation it is difficult at high altitudes, but the people who originally from plains and that too hot regions are able to do their duties and highest deployments to siachin by the army even from initial deployments is from madras regiment.
That's why I say they are doing a commendable job, they need appreciation, I would not have felt overvelmed if they had swam in the ocean, or fought in the desert, what do u say?

My Prayers are with his family for his recovery along with the entire nation!!:(
@Dash
What can a doctor do to revive kidney of a healthy man in this situation?

My Prayers are with his family for his recovery along with the entire nation!!:(
@Dash
What can a doctor do to revive kidney of a healthy man in this situation?

Transplant. It is an expensive affair.

But nothing is more important than our jawans.

I hope the R&R find a matching kidney set if that has to be done. :(

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom