What's new

Hong Kong Seizes South Korea-Bound Tank

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Hong Kong Seizes South Korea-Bound Tank

Hong Kong's customs agents said Sept. 23 they had seized a tank bound for South Korea after the high-tech amphibious military vehicle was discovered at one of the city's container terminals.

Officials intercepted two containers on Sept. 20 carrying the unlicensed tank and accessories, the customs and excise department said in a statement.

"Preliminary investigation shows that the tank and the accessories were shipped from Saudi Arabia to Busan, Republic of Korea with transshipment via (Hong Kong) after an exhibition. Further investigation is ongoing.

"All seized offending articles are subject to mandatory forfeiture," it added.

Doosan DST, the South Korean weapons manufacturer that produced the K-21 tank, said the seizure was due to a missing customs document, adding that it would send the form to Hong Kong by Sept. 24.

The tank arrived in Hong Kong after being shown to potential clients in Saudi Arabia, the company said.

The South China Morning Post said the vehicle was a disarmed version of the K-21, one of the most advanced land weapons under development in Asia. No arrests have been made since the seizure, it reported.

South Korea's foreign ministry could not be reached for comment.

The seizure comes after South Korea's defense ministry said it was investigating design flaws in the light tanks, which were launched late last year, the Post said.

A South Korean soldier died in July after the 26-ton vehicle he was traveling in sank during a river crossing, the Post said.

Some media reports suggested a faulty pump was to blame for the accident.

The tank was developed over a decade by the South Korean defense ministry and local defense firms, the paper said.

Hong Kong Seizes South Korea-Bound Tank - Defense News

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

k21.jpg

The tank is only able to float with inflatable rubber bladder located at the both side, protected by the armour side skirt. Thus when the rubber bladder fails to inflat, as in the case stated in the report, the crew is facing danger od drowning.

"A South Korean soldier died in July after the 26-ton vehicle he was traveling in sank during a river crossing, the Post said."

It will be a much better tank if they redesign the tank so that it can float with-out using the rubber bladder. In actual beach assault, if the hostile forces shoot the rubber bladder into pieces, the tank will sink into the sea, or a river bottom.

THIS TANK COSTS $4M. EVEN ARJUN AND AL-KHALID ARE CHEAPER THAN THIS. WHY ANY COUNTRY WILL BUY A SMALL TANK FOR A COST MORE THAN MBT. ITS IFV(INFANTRY FIGHTING VEHICLE) NOT MBT.
ALSO THE MAIN GUN IS VERY SHORT(40MM). THE VIDEOMAKER SAYS THAT IT CAN PENETRATE MBTS BUT I DOUBT.

THIS TANK COSTS $4M. EVEN ARJUN AND AL-KHALID ARE CHEAPER THAN THIS. WHY ANY COUNTRY WILL BUY A SMALL TANK FOR A COST MORE THAN MBT. ITS IFV(INFANTRY FIGHTING VEHICLE) NOT MBT.
ALSO THE MAIN GUN IS VERY SHORT(40MM). THE VIDEOMAKER SAYS THAT IT CAN PENETRATE MBTS BUT I DOUBT.

South Korea seems to love these high tech concept weapons, and it sure does give the fan boys something to scream about.

It will be a much better tank if they redesign the tank so that it can float with-out using the rubber bladder. In actual beach assault, if the hostile forces shoot the rubber bladder into pieces, the tank will sink into the sea, or a river bottom.
Consider that beach defenders will be facing the armored FRONT of the IFV as it approaches the beach, not the vulnerable sides of the vehicle, so this really isn't much of an issue.

Consider that beach defenders will be facing the armored FRONT of the IFV as it approaches the beach, not the vulnerable sides of the vehicle, so this really isn't much of an issue.

There isn't any thing to stop them from shooting at the sides though, if you know what I mean. The defenders don't really need to shoot at the IFV head on.

I have few photos of the IFV with rubber bladders inflated in a river crossing test but unfortunately I have no right to attach the photos on this forum, guess I need more postings...

The rubber bladders is actually protected by the standard side skirt by moving the hinged amour plates upwards, it is effective only against shrapnels exploding from above the IFV. It is not protected at the front and side.

I think the Korean logic is that the bladder is submerged in water during the swimming stage, it won't get hit by bullets or shells.

Contrary to what you see in the movies (ie saving private ryan) the majority of beach defenses are setup using enfilading fields of fire and shooting perpendicular to the direction of advance by the enemy.

The picture on the right
figg23.gif

What the Marines faced on Iwo Jima is more typical with enfilading and plunging fire from Mt. Suribachi. Amphibious assault vehicles were hit side on during that landing by artillery positions to the left of the landing beach.
USMC-M-IwoJima-cvr.jpg

In this picture you can see the marines on the landing beach and Mt Suribachi in a dominating position in the background.

Also note the course the assault boats took
iwo-jima-map.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom