What's new

HISTORY OF MALABAR :DISCUSSIONS.

There are far too many things wrong with that story.

1. Crossing the ocean was not permitted for a Brahmin.
2. Even if they did most would never resort to physical labour to earn his living. Such was his training.
3. Being the highest caste, it was very unlikely they would convert to any other religion.

i too wonder whther it is true..i mean apart from the story we dont have heard about the sources and the evidences for it.

According to this belief Saliyas were of Brahmin origin and were brought across the sea from Malabar (i.e. Kerala) by ship. However, since they would 'lose caste' if they touched the water, they had to be carried ashore by moors on their heads,which is depicted in their flag.

Another story;
The second wave of Namboodiris arrived in Srilanka, when the Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka refused to perform the rituals associated with the coronation ceremony of Prince Wathhimi(Galey Bandara Deyyo) (the son of King Bhuvenaka Bahu I (1272–1284)), his mother, whose name was "Fathima", and hailed from the village of "Aswedduma" in the Kurunegala district, was a Muslim and was the only non-buddhist member of the King's harem, the prince was sent to live amongst his maternal relatives at Beruwala, for his safety, by the King, and was greatly influenced by Islam, his maternal grandfather even named him "Ismail", but the King preferred the name "Wathhimi Bandara", when the King died, Prince Wathhimi was the only son the King had, and as a consequence was eligible to be the King, the buddhist monks were worried, about the princes inclination towards islam, and refused to perform the rituals for the coronation ceremony, and as a consequence, the prince sent a Muslim nobleman from beruwala, to bring Brahmins from Kerala, as the Muslim nobleman was unable to persuade any Brahmin to come over to Srilanka,he had to hatch a plan to kidnap them, and finally succeeded in getting a group of 8 Namboodiri Brahmins, from the village of Shaligramam in Kerala, to come on board the ship for a gambling game, and as the legend goes, while the Brahmins were fully concentrating, with the game of gambling, the ship started to sail towards Beruwala, without the Brahmins noticing the ship's movements,when it reached the shores of Beruwala,the Brahmins realised they were tricked,and refused to disembark, the King's soldiers who were waiting to receive them shot one of the Brahmins with an arrow, so as to force them to disembark, and as a result one of the Brahmins died and his body fell overboard, the remaining 7 still refused to disembark, as Brahmins their culture imposed a rule that,after crossing the sea to go to another country,their feet should not touch water or they risked losing their caste status, subsequently the remaining 7 were persuaded to disembark, and were brought ashore, upon the shoulders of Moor men,they were received by the Prince with great honours, the Brahmins subsequently wanted to return to Kerala after performing the ceremony, but the King, who was pleased with them, wanted them to stay on in Sri Lanka, and offered them royal maidens in marriage at the royal courts.

The Nambudiri flag of the Salagamas vividly illustrates the arrival of the Brahmins at Beruwala. They assimilated well into the Sinhalese community and their descendants formed the Salagama caste, along with "Agampadi"Mercenary Soldiers who came from Kerala & Tamil Nadu.
Salagama caste
i doubt this story. Salagama is a caste that is considered low. Had brahmins formed the Salagama caste, it wont be so....History in SL have been given many stories according to political wishes. For example this so called incident is used to prove Moor existence from very old times

Back
Top Bottom