What's new

Historic WTO deal on India's terms, food security stand prevails

agamdilawari

Reaction score
Country
India
anand-sharma-wto-360.jpg

Bali, Indonesia: India today achieved a major victory for its food security stand in Bali with the World Trade Organisation or WTO agreeing to provide food subsidy without any punitive action.

New Delhi had insisted it would not compromise on a policy of subsidising food for hundreds of millions of poor, putting it at odds with the United States and other developed countries.

The central government will next year fully implement its flagship Food Security Bill, a welfare programme to provide cheap food to 800 million people that it fears will contravene WTO rules curbing farm subsidies to 10 per cent of production.

The programme, which relies on large-scale stockpiling and purchases at minimum prices, is a central plank of the government's bid to win a third term in office next year in elections due by May next year.

Commerce Minister Anand Sharma had earlier said that he would endorse a draft trade reform at the World Trade Organization, removing a major obstacle to a deal.

"It is a victory for the WTO and for the global community to have arrived at a mature decision," Sharma told reporters. "We are more than happy. It is a great day. It is a historic day."

Ministers from nearly 160 member countries of the World Trade Organisation entered a final day of negotiations on Friday with officials sounding optimistic over chances of salvaging a deal that would save the trade body from sliding into irrelevance.

In an organization based on consensus among its members, attention focused squarely on India today as the main stumbling block to the WTO's first global trade deal in two decades.

Historic WTO deal on India's terms, food security stand prevails | NDTV.com

anand-sharma-wto-360.jpg

Bali, Indonesia: India today achieved a major victory for its food security stand in Bali with the World Trade Organisation or WTO agreeing to provide food subsidy without any punitive action.

New Delhi had insisted it would not compromise on a policy of subsidising food for hundreds of millions of poor, putting it at odds with the United States and other developed countries.

The central government will next year fully implement its flagship Food Security Bill, a welfare programme to provide cheap food to 800 million people that it fears will contravene WTO rules curbing farm subsidies to 10 per cent of production.

The programme, which relies on large-scale stockpiling and purchases at minimum prices, is a central plank of the government's bid to win a third term in office next year in elections due by May next year.

Commerce Minister Anand Sharma had earlier said that he would endorse a draft trade reform at the World Trade Organization, removing a major obstacle to a deal.

"It is a victory for the WTO and for the global community to have arrived at a mature decision," Sharma told reporters. "We are more than happy. It is a great day. It is a historic day."

Ministers from nearly 160 member countries of the World Trade Organisation entered a final day of negotiations on Friday with officials sounding optimistic over chances of salvaging a deal that would save the trade body from sliding into irrelevance.

In an organization based on consensus among its members, attention focused squarely on India today as the main stumbling block to the WTO's first global trade deal in two decades.

Historic WTO deal on India's terms, food security stand prevails | NDTV.com

USA ki aukad ko Kya hogya
I thought they will be able to stop this :close_tema:
WTH :hitwall:
UPA is preparing for one last loot with this FSB of theirs
Sale chor :tdown:

USA ki aukad ko Kya hogya
I thought they will be able to stop this :close_tema:
WTH :hitwall:
UPA is preparing for one last loot with this FSB of theirs
Sale chor :tdown:

"at odds with USA and developing countries" - does not mean they are an enemy. USA is looking out for its interest as any country does - thereby puts forth its requirement list...

It is not a question of Aukad. If you want to see aukad - then see when we decide to put sanctions on a country , how much aukad we have... where 99.99% of the world adheres to it.

"at odds with USA and developing countries" - does not mean they are an enemy. USA is looking out for its interest as any country does - thereby puts forth its requirement list...

It is not a question of Aukad. If you want to see aukad - then see when we decide to put sanctions on a country , how much aukad we have... where 99.99% of the world adheres to it.

Arrey yaar I am sorry for using such a heavy word
I will rephrase my question
Just one time when we see that USA has a chance to do something really nice for us
They fail in it I mean come on man
You are a damn superpower for gods sake
Again I am terribly sorry to use such a word & hurt your feelings

Arrey yaar I am sorry for using such a heavy word
I will rephrase my question
Just one time when we see that USA has a chance to do something really nice for us
They fail in it I mean come on man
You are a damn superpower for gods sake
Again I am terribly sorry to use such a word & hurt your feelings

LOL.

Do something nice for you?

we are doing lots of things nice for you :P. This about our farmers too..our economy too, we have to look out for our people too. every country looks out for itself.

there is no ill will or hard feelings just business :D

Back
Top Bottom