What's new

Himachal ban on Hindu animal sacrifices sparks debate among legal experts

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
On Monday, as some animal welfare groups protested the slaughter of goats by Muslims to celebrate Bakri Eid, some lawyers were mulling over a judgement last fortnight by the Himachal Pradesh High Court imposing a complete ban on ritualistic animal sacrifices in all temples and public places across the state.

Many are uncomfortable with the Himachal ruling because it enters the realm of theology to determine if animal sacrifices are essential to the practice of Hinduism. Instead of taking such a great leap, the court should have based its decision on treating animals in a humane way, even when offering them for sacrifice, legal experts believe.

Besides, they point out that the judgement is silent on the customary sacrifices on Bakri Eid, and confines itself to Hindus only.

Ancient practice

The judgement came in regard to a writ petition filed by Sonali Purewal, a member of an animal welfare organisation called People for Animals in Kasauli. She said that she was disturbed by the way in which buffaloes, goats, and sheep were being slaughtered in Hindu temples dedicated to Chamunda, Harimba, Shikari Devi and other deities, especially on the occasions of Durga Ashtami and Navratra. She contended that this slaughter, carried out in the name of religious tradition, benefited only the temple priests, trustees, livestock traders and the designated butchers.

Invoking the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960, Porewal contended that the sacrifices were an exercise in superstition. The absence of any regulation meant that there were no checks on the instruments used, or whether those carrying out the sacrifices were properly trained.

For its part, the state administration took the position that these practices had very deep religious and cultural moorings, and it would not be proper for the court to intervene, because putting a stop to sacrifices meant to propitiate deities would offend the religious sensibilities of the devout.

However, the Deputy Commissioners of Shimla, Chamba, Mandi districts as well as the caretakers of some temples testified that the prevalent manner of sacrifices were indeed cruel, and should be stopped since many devotees were opposed to them.

Integral part

The most intense discussion has focussed on the court's decision to adjudicate upon what practices that could be deemed as being an integral part of Hinduism. Critics say the decision encroaches on the beliefs and religious practices of Hindus, infringing on the fundamental right to freedom of religion. Such an act, they contend, is reminiscent of the effort of colonial courts to examine diverse traditions and customs through the prism of objective parameters, recreating new ones that they found agreeable with their perceptions of reason and science. Some scholars feel that this decision is an incursion into matters of faith and runs against the grain of pluralism and diversity, which are considered indispensable components of secularism.

Instead, the court could have drawn on the Supreme Court's decision in the A. Nagaraja case of May, which imposed a ban on jalllikattu (bull races) in Tamil Nadu temples, legal experts say. In that instance, the court did not delve into religious tenets, and based its judgement purely upon the rights of animals to be treated with care and dignity.

When judges assume "a power greater than that of a high priest, maulvi or dharmashastri" to interpret theological tenets, jurists Rajeev Dhavan and Fali Nariman said, established constitutional principles run the risk of being compromised.

Scroll.in - News. Politics. Culture.

there is a bhunda maha yagya here in himachal in which more than 2000 goats are sacrificed

Good... Need to implement strictly.... There should be universal decree against such sacrifices in the name of appeasement of God..... God also live in the soul of those innocent creatures......

On Monday, as some animal welfare groups protested the slaughter of goats by Muslims to celebrate Bakri Eid, some lawyers were mulling over a judgement last fortnight by the Himachal Pradesh High Court imposing a complete ban on ritualistic animal sacrifices in all temples and public places across the state.

Many are uncomfortable with the Himachal ruling because it enters the realm of theology to determine if animal sacrifices are essential to the practice of Hinduism. Instead of taking such a great leap, the court should have based its decision on treating animals in a humane way, even when offering them for sacrifice, legal experts believe.

Besides, they point out that the judgement is silent on the customary sacrifices on Bakri Eid, and confines itself to Hindus only.

Ancient practice

The judgement came in regard to a writ petition filed by Sonali Purewal, a member of an animal welfare organisation called People for Animals in Kasauli. She said that she was disturbed by the way in which buffaloes, goats, and sheep were being slaughtered in Hindu temples dedicated to Chamunda, Harimba, Shikari Devi and other deities, especially on the occasions of Durga Ashtami and Navratra. She contended that this slaughter, carried out in the name of religious tradition, benefited only the temple priests, trustees, livestock traders and the designated butchers.

Invoking the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960, Porewal contended that the sacrifices were an exercise in superstition. The absence of any regulation meant that there were no checks on the instruments used, or whether those carrying out the sacrifices were properly trained.

For its part, the state administration took the position that these practices had very deep religious and cultural moorings, and it would not be proper for the court to intervene, because putting a stop to sacrifices meant to propitiate deities would offend the religious sensibilities of the devout.

However, the Deputy Commissioners of Shimla, Chamba, Mandi districts as well as the caretakers of some temples testified that the prevalent manner of sacrifices were indeed cruel, and should be stopped since many devotees were opposed to them.

Integral part

The most intense discussion has focussed on the court's decision to adjudicate upon what practices that could be deemed as being an integral part of Hinduism. Critics say the decision encroaches on the beliefs and religious practices of Hindus, infringing on the fundamental right to freedom of religion. Such an act, they contend, is reminiscent of the effort of colonial courts to examine diverse traditions and customs through the prism of objective parameters, recreating new ones that they found agreeable with their perceptions of reason and science. Some scholars feel that this decision is an incursion into matters of faith and runs against the grain of pluralism and diversity, which are considered indispensable components of secularism.

Instead, the court could have drawn on the Supreme Court's decision in the A. Nagaraja case of May, which imposed a ban on jalllikattu (bull races) in Tamil Nadu temples, legal experts say. In that instance, the court did not delve into religious tenets, and based its judgement purely upon the rights of animals to be treated with care and dignity.

When judges assume "a power greater than that of a high priest, maulvi or dharmashastri" to interpret theological tenets, jurists Rajeev Dhavan and Fali Nariman said, established constitutional principles run the risk of being compromised.

Scroll.in - News. Politics. Culture.

ban all sacrifice....
its same whether muslims kill cows or hindus kill buffalos..... both act are barbarism....
this violence against mute animals need to be stopped.... utter shame.. killing animals in name of rituals... i don't understand how come the god who created everything will be happy if one of its kind kill other...
if human hv to sacrifice then why don't they sacrifice themselves...
:sick:

It was also tried in TN but removed... but then as non veg is ok i dont see any wrong in sacrifices as long as meat is not wasted

there is a bhunda maha yagya here in himachal in which more than 2000 goats are sacrificed
if its true
what a shame, ek taraf to hindu cow slaughter ko le ke itna hungama karte hain (including me) dusri taraf kuch logo ne hamari naak katwa di..
Want to say 1 strong thing..
fck off those yagyas and pandits
and no body here can oppose me.. I am also a brahmin.. And in my family even we don't eat onion..(excluding me..but not in house)

if its true
what a shame, ek taraf to hindu cow slaughter ko le ke itna hungama karte hain (including me) dusri taraf kuch logo ne hamari naak katwa di..
and no body here can oppose me.. I am also a brahmin.. And in my family even we don't eat onion..(excluding me..but not in house)
its true brother

here is hindu festival Gadhimai images search
look at it
festival Gadhimai - Google Search

Attachments

• f37e7eaedfa35041677bada6cce9f7f6.jpg
    f37e7eaedfa35041677bada6cce9f7f6.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 129
  • d2c4b60f162fa207a04211099f817ae2.jpg
    d2c4b60f162fa207a04211099f817ae2.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
if its true
sad case but this wont go so quickly people still be slaughtering animal illegally

I am not much of a 'religious' kind, hence, not much worried about the religious part of the ban, but if we try to be logical on this issue, then certain questions come up:

1. Are those animals that are being sacrificed in the temples are endangered or protected species, thus illegal to kill?
- The answer is NO.

2. Are those animals are also being killed in India for human consumption?
- The answer is YES.

3. Is animal sacrifice prohibited in Hinduism?
- The answer is NO.

4. Are the temple owners/administrators free to decide how they want to do the puja path, and what to offer to gods, as per their tradition & beliefs?
- The answer is YES.

5. Are the protestors free to go to any other temple where animal sacrifice is not the tradition?
- The answer is YES.

6. Was the court acted in a biased manner when it banned animal sacrifice for one particular religious group?
- The answer is YES.

Then how the court came to the conclusion that animal sacrifice or offering meat to gods is illegal when the same meat is being consumed by many Indians all over the country, legally?

If killing animal is brutality, then killing them for human consumption is also brutality, should we ban all non-veg food next? Can we stretch that argument for living plants also?

---- To all Indians who are supporting this judgement. :)
@Bang Galore @utraash @SarthakGanguly @Dem!god

Back
Top Bottom